News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Book Suggestions Topic

Started by Hickory, February 13, 2015, 11:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hickory

Sorry.  :P Haven't read in a pong time.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Eulaliaaa!

Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

LT Sandpaw

I would suggest the Rangers Apprentice Too anyone who likes Historical Fiction, along with a little fantasy Stealth, archery, sword fighting, a little romance, excellent description, good plot line, and well built characters. Its based on old England renamed Araluen about an Orphaned Ranger in training.

Author: John Flanagan,

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Delthion

The only bad thing about that series is that he isn't very creative with names, and there's a little light swearing. But the only name he made up is Araluen, but that is probably why it is called historical fiction...
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Hickory

I need a book, either steampunkish, set in the early 1900's, or sci-fi.

Jetthebinturong

Going to recommend Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds again for the sci-fi.
Other sci-fi I'd recommend would be The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness. Not the best book I've ever read (but it comes close) but certainly the most thought-provoking
For steampunk I guess I'd recommend Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (though that also has demons, angels, drug abuse and drug dependency (though the character didn't start by choice and it was forced on them as a sort of torture (which is backstory, not part of the actual books))) but I'm not sure if I'd count it as steampunk. It's got automatons but that's about it
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Banya

There exists a very cool steampunk version of the greatest works of Edgar Allen Poe.  Also, Howl's Moving Castle is considered steampunk and fits the definition of the genre - it's really good so if you haven't read it I recommend it.

Jetthebinturong

Really? HMC is steampunk? I can get the film being steampunk but the book? The book has nothing steampunk in it that I saw
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Banya

Steampunk (n.): 'a genre of science fiction that typically features steam-powered machinery rather than advanced technology.'  The moving castle was powered by Calcifer, yet illustrates some form of industrialization.  I think that's why it's included.  I also think the castle could qualify as art nouveau.  Supposedly, this is enough, though nothing in the book stands out to me as either retro-futuristic or Victorian.

Also, the works of China Mieville.  Check out Un Lun Dun and Railsea.

Skyblade

Quote from: Sagetip, the hare on February 14, 2015, 10:26:18 PM
Quote from: Skyblade on February 14, 2015, 12:09:37 AM
Great topic! 8) I like all types of books...my favorite is probably fantasy, though.

Then The Night Circus Is for you. It has real magic in it, along with romance between two competitors... oh wait, I'll give the whole book away!

Thank you, Sagetip! :)

Speaking of steampunk, I recommend Airborn by Kenneth Oppel if you (like me) enjoy action. I liked it enough that I'm dying to read the sequels!

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Hickory

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to read them all!

Rusvul

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a great sci-if series, if you're willing to look past a complete lack of plot, continuity, and logic. It's worth it for the humor.

Lady Ashenwyte

I'd have to recommend the White Princess by Philippa Gregory for a nice historical fiction. It does have some sexual references though, so be warned.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

BlueRose

Historical fiction? I'd suggest Someone Named Eva a book about an Aryan girl from the Czech town of Lidice during WWII

Quote from: Lord_Ashenwyte on February 14, 2015, 02:47:55 PM
I want a manga book without horror and fantasy. Traditional Japanese format too.

Kuroko no Basuke or Kuroko's Basketball (think that's what it's called?)

If you WANTED horror and fantasy, I'd suggest Aphorism. The art is beautiful. In a sort of macabre way...
Was anyone else on the old DAB forum, circa 2009? I was recently reminded of it, lol.

Bitterly jittery, and not very glittery.

Luftwaffles

For historical fiction, I just have to recommend "The Key to Rebecca" by Ken Follet.

The book is based around the African campaign of WW2 and it has all the right spices. It is basically a spy tale with a lot of shady characters, some rotten alliances and even a love story in it. I just can't get enough of it (I have read it like five times already :P).
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!