News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

E-readers and such

Started by Matthias720, September 29, 2011, 06:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

One-Eye the wildcat

Same. I have a kindle paperwhite.
"What will become of us? Where will we go, we who wander this vast wasteland in search of our better selves?"

"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos."
Long live the RRR!!

Jarky Thistlebrush

I have a flippin' kobo, actually.
The following is a list of things to bring on holiday:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
42 ~ Seb's Humility ~ Seb's toothbrush ~ Seb's soul ~ Half a Plane ~ Your Toothbrush ~ A creeping anxiety every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Pure Terror every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Death every time you look at your toothbrush

I had to move everything off the list but the bare essentials to make way for this:

shisteer of nothing much

I had a kindle but, unfortunately, it died. (By unnatural means involving a nine-year-old boy and our fireplace)
While I had it, I really enjoyed it and used it a lot.
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

My brother has a kindle. I've used it a few times, but ultimately I prefer real books.
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

shisteer of nothing much

Yeah, books are awesome. E-books don't smell or feel as great, even if they are the same words.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

One-Eye the wildcat

This post is now invisible.
"What will become of us? Where will we go, we who wander this vast wasteland in search of our better selves?"

"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos."
Long live the RRR!!

Booklover

Error. Error. Cannot compute.

shisteer of nothing much

Quote from: One-Eye the wildcat on March 20, 2020, 04:26:41 PM
This post is now invisible.
That's pretty cool. I've always wanted to see something that's invisible.

I think Mum's planning to get another kindle, so I might be able to read more stuff. (Not that I lack real books, of course)

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Merida_of_redwall

I love both books and my kindle.

Yes, kindles don't smell and they have a battery but it's so much easier to carry around, I'm a bit of OCD when it comes to books, I always have one on me, but then panic that I can't either get into it or finish it before I get home, so it's easier and calmer for me to carry a kindle with me, (600+ books on my kindle). Plus I have joint ache which makes reading a big hardbook/paper back difficult to read/carry. My hand goes into a claw shape after 30 minutes or so.

Barry Allen:Right, right, but we mean bring him back in like a 'yay,he's back! way not in like a Pet Sematary scenario

shisteer of nothing much

Ouch, that sounds annoying. Kindles are good for taking on motorbike trips, especially long ones. There is a limited amount of space on a motorbike and you don't want to be taking half a dozen books with you. Even one thick book can be a stretch, so e-books are very useful.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Wylder Treejumper

I am passionate about physical books; e-books can be more convenient for certain, very limited situations but not enough for me to justify reading them. In any situation where I would normally use an e-book rather than a physical copy, I prefer audiobooks. In my opinion, there is only one really great advantage about e-readers: there are a great host of books whose copyrights have expired, and they are generally all available as free e-books. That is how I read the completed works of G. K. Chesterton and Edgar Rice Burrows, among other things.

Free is always better.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Sebias of Redwall

The closest thing I have to ebooks would most likely be fanfiction. Otherwise, I tend to go for actual books. Also, I feel like it's better for your eyes to read a physical book.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

PanopticEmu

Having owned and used both Kindle and Kobo devices, I can quite easily state that I much prefer Kobo. They are much more customisable, easier to use, and you don't have to worry about spending extra just to get rid of ads. It's also a lot easier to sideload books that you bought somewhere else, and/or your favourite font for reading in, if you don't like the default ones.
discord: PanopticEmu#0001

shisteer of nothing much

I haven't had any problem with ads on my Kindle. I'm not that worried about customization. I just pick it up and start reading. Dad had a Kobo and he really liked it, but mostly for the same reasons he likes any e-book. (Convenience and the fact it fits well on a motorbike) I got a new Kindle recently and it's good. It doesn't feel or smell as nice as a real book but it's not bad.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!