News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Musicians

Started by Tiria Wildlough, November 26, 2011, 02:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What instrument do you play... how long have you played it?

Flute
10 (21.7%)
Saxophone (any type)
2 (4.3%)
Piano
23 (50%)
Guitar
11 (23.9%)
Percussion(drums, bells, etc.) specify
6 (13%)
Clarinet (any type)
6 (13%)
Oboe
1 (2.2%)
Trombone
1 (2.2%)
Baritone
1 (2.2%)
Trumpet
4 (8.7%)
Tuba
1 (2.2%)
Strings (violin, cello, etc.)specify
15 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Kade Rivok

Quote from: Hickory on October 24, 2019, 02:11:41 AM
Violins SUCK and are USELESS, and let me tell you why:

1. They don't have a C STRING. This is a glaring flaw and automatically disqualifies the violin from being good, even without the following.
2. They are EASY. What's a good instrument if anyone can play it? Instrument like the viola, cello, and double bass are HARD, and thus anyone who plays them is BETTER (as is the instrument).
3. They can't go LOW. See point #1. Cellos and violas can go low. Basses, though they can go the lowest, also lack a C string, but their low pitch gets them into the "not bad" category (still, contrabass is on THIN ice).
4. EVERYONE plays them. No, seriously. Brett and Eddy, Paganini, Perlman, Bell, ad nauseam... it's just too mainstream of an instrument. Real musicians choose less played instruments, like the hurdy-gurdy.

Mmmm, well said
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

shisteer of nothing much

1. They don't have a C STRING. This is a glaring flaw and automatically disqualifies the violin from being good, even without the following.
2. They are EASY. What's a good instrument if anyone can play it? Instrument like the viola, cello, and double bass are HARD, and thus anyone who plays them is BETTER (as is the instrument).
3. They can't go LOW. See point #1. Cellos and violas can go low. Basses, though they can go the lowest, also lack a C string, but their low pitch gets them into the "not bad" category (still, contrabass is on THIN ice).
4. EVERYONE plays them. No, seriously. Brett and Eddy, Paganini, Perlman, Bell, ad nauseam... it's just too mainstream of an instrument. Real musicians choose less played instruments, like the hurdy-gurdy.
I somewhat agree with points one and three. Low notes are better. (Though I don't see what's so great about the C string in particular)
However, points two and four I don't agree with.
Anyone can make a sound on a violin, same as with a cello, viola or bass. It takes skill to make music on a violin. (or any other instrument) Besides, simplicity is a good thing and, used right, beautiful.
As for point four, it's not a bad thing that violins are popular. That just proves their awesomeness.
Any instrument can be beautiful or horrible, depending on how it's played. Don't use the instrument as a judge of the musician. Both need to be considered but one doesn't necessarily match the quality of the other.
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Verdauga

I wouldn't say they suck or are useless, just overrated.
*Said by a non-musician who is facepalming and bowing out of the thread*
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

shisteer of nothing much

I think most instruments are overrated in someone's eyes.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Hickory

I guess I should add that that post was made as a joke. I myself am a violist and often find myself the butt of a great deal of jokes and jesting dislike, so I decided to offer my own in return. Violin is a beautiful instrument, just like many others, and some of the best compositions in the world are for it (and for good reason).
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Dannflower Reguba

Well that's good, because I was 'boutta go off like nitroglycerin.  ;) Violins always seemed like the most emotional instrument to me, and are so smooth whilst doing so. There's not really a break between notes, something even the ever flexible guitar cannot claim as the strumming hand rises and falls. Difficulty is largely subjective in the music world too, even if there are things that are generally easier or harder to learn. That having been said, that which is often considered easy (such as the piano and guitar) have a completely different sound to them when handled by a master. It's honestly really cool how the simplest things can be the greatest display of skill (For reference, Twinkle Twinkle little star [variations] on the piano:

Skip to 1 minute
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

shisteer of nothing much

That. is. amazing. Pianos can sound so beautiful.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

I don't see how having a C string makes a difference, or how the pitch does.
What makes a violin any easier than a viola? Apart from having a more well known clef, which therefore makes reading the music easier, I don't see any difference in how you actually play them. Plus, you wouldn't call violin easy if you had some really awkward 3rd position bits, with a difficult rhythm as well.
The fact that everybody plays them just shows that it's an awesome instrument. Besides, musicians (and bookworms) are dying out. At my school, which has over a thousand pupils, there are hardly any people who play instruments or take part in the music clubs. Which means that instruments that you learn at school and not as part of paid music lessons, such as piano/keyboard, are becoming a lot more popular, and there aren't as many people learning violin.

Drums, however, I really do not like. They are loud and annoying, and contribute nothing. Drums cannot play tunes, which makes them pretty useless.

That last bit is (partly) a joke, I know that drums aren't useless, as my friend who's a drummer tells me so a lot, but drummers are the enemies of violinists, and I like to annoy that friend by telling him how drums are useless and that violins are better.
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

Verdauga

Hickory mentioned that was a joke....
Since there are actual violists here they should probably answer, but I would suppose the C string allows it to play a greater range of music.
Violas' deeper pitch tends to confine them to fleshing out an orchestra, in between the cello and the violin.
(that's all I dare say.)

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Kade Rivok

Quote from: Verdauga on October 29, 2019, 02:23:53 PM
Hickory mentioned that was a joke....
Since there are actual violists here they should probably answer, but I would suppose the C string allows it to play a greater range of music.
Violas' deeper pitch tends to confine them to fleshing out an orchestra, in between the cello and the violin.
(that's all I dare say.)

That's just how it is for groups of similar instruments with varying ranges.  It's similar for choirs as well; usually the sopranos have the melody, the bases form the root of chords, and tenors and altos add color.  Me being a tenor, though, I just pretend that I'm always singing the melody  ;D

Of course that can very greatly depending on the music, and the melody can be passed around between parts and certain moments can have different sections rise above others, even if only for a second.  The above is just a generalized statement.
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Verdauga

'ey. I only took piano okay? Don't expect me to know everything.  ;)

shisteer of nothing much

Quote from: Booklover on October 29, 2019, 11:44:56 AM
Drums, however, I really do not like. They are loud and annoying, and contribute nothing. Drums cannot play tunes, which makes them pretty useless. 
In general, I agree wholeheartedly with that statement. The one exception is with Scottish drumming. (although that's kind of a given, seen as anything Scottish is awesome)

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Tungro

shisteer of nothing much

... Yeah, okay. Drums can sound pretty cool.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

At school, in the music room at lunch (anybody who does music clubs or takes music is allowed to go there at lunch, and there's choir on Tuesday and Friday lunch anyway), drums are banned. This is because last year, the year elevens found the friend I mentioned in my other post very annoying, and the music teacher also did. The three rules of the music room at lunch (and during handbells) are:

1. No drums.
2. No Fortnite dances.
3. No Eurovision.

Rules 2 and 3 don't really apply now, since the person they were intended to stop has left now, but they are still (unofficial) rules. Rule one is still official, though.
Error. Error. Cannot compute.