News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Jan 18- Sopa Strike

Started by Taggerung_of_Redwall, January 15, 2012, 02:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Correct. A number of rich corporations (basically Hollywood and the music business) petitioned Congress about their loss of money (a tiny percentage of sales that they claim they lost, which is up for debate). Most Congresspersons are supporters, and now major internet sites are going to protest it. For companies like Google (inclusive of Youtube), Facebook and Twitter, it's a matter of good business (at least), as it would negatively affect them if SOPA was passed, even with a good chance of them having to close down for good (Twitter, Facebook and Google's Youtube). For a non-profit like Wikipedia, it's also still good business. They'd have a mess on their already tied up hands with such limited staff and servers running the internet's 5th most visited website. But Wikipedia has no hidden agenda either, they stand for free information and its distribution. Anybody who works for them doesn't do it for the money.

The provisions of SOPA in its current state would allow, say, Itunes, to demand a video on Youtube to be taken down. Let's say the video would be a home one, with a couple people dancing to a song. If the song is copywrited, the video is redacted and removed from Youtube, for US citizens. Congress could require Google to take off countless websites from search results, on varying grounds. Not sure I want to discuss that one here, and I'll try and narrow down the technical details and be brief.
The idea is for Congress to come up with a 'Great Firewall' like China, North Korea and Iran has, and block American DNSes for viewing content. The technical details are complicated, but it can be left at compromising free speech, free information, and destroying the infrastructure of the internet itself, and also potentially crippling world democracy. And I don't mean four-year term election type of democracy, but the type demonstrated with the Arab Spring of 2010-____, where people rose up and got rid of tyrannical autocratic regimes. The internet's fate could end up as a splintered entity of many parts. America carries a lot of weight as the world's most powerful democracy. Many nations would likely follow with similar policies of their own.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Melody

so all it is is the government wants to control the internet?

Taggerung_of_Redwall

It's the corporations that want to. The government looks like it will go for that and them both will get the net.

Melody

oh....................
So all it is is power hungry people wanting more control.

Bragoon

Power hungry people who already have a lot of power, more specifically.  The more power you already have, the easier it is to get more, unfortunately. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Greed, more than power. Also, power isn't a bad thing. It's just abusing power that is.

Melody

like some of the bad guys in redwall, greed led to wanting more and more power until it desroyed them.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Operation Blackout is in effect. The battle of Silicon Valley vs. Hollywood is in harder swing than ever.

The Silicon Valley part is an allusion to the fact that many companies in that part of California are anti-SOPA. While of course, Hollywood is not.

Tiria Wildlough

I don't see what business they have censoring all that stuff. They're only in the U.S., and practically EVERYONE uses the internet.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

eualaia

i hate greedy people

STRIKE AGAINST SOPA!
wolves will slay whoever they want to.....*growl* "AGHH''

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Rupert Murdoch calls the Internet going dark by websites' and communities' choice in protest of SOPA "An abuse of power". In related news, the Eye of Sauron accuses Hobbits of terrorism.

Oh, and check out the open Scottish Wikipedia.

Bragoon

From what I hear, it's working.  Several politicians have (or at least claimed to) withdrawn their support for the bill, and several corporations also have backed down also.
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Taggerung_of_Redwall

4 co-sponsors on SOPA, 3 on PIPA. (good news)
Don't know about corporations.

Melody

So this SOPA strike is working?

Bragoon

It appears to be so, Melody, but it's not enough yet. 

That's right, ToR, I used the wrong term.