The Song of the Explorer

Started by Delthion, November 06, 2014, 04:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delthion

OOC: So for now all of the of the Explorers are gathered at the western shores of Salamandastron, they're about to set off in search of Thairn. The Mountain has provided lodging for the time being. The merchants can be here selling their goods or wherever they would like to be. The pirates should be out a little ways just prowling.

BIC: The sun was rising and bathing the earth in its golden rays and turning the sea to a pale orange hue. Onoirath loved watching the sunrise from his window in Salamandastron, he felt warmed by it for some strange reason, he had long pondered over this, but never came to a conclusion. He had been up for a few hours, straightening a few things up, and finishing packing the Bonnie Prince Charlie for her voyage, even though she had already been sailed for many a league, Onoirath felt as if this was the Prince's maiden voyage. For this was the most important voyage of his lifetime, and judging by the lack of beasts returning from their voyage westward was evidence enough to show that this voyage could also be his last. As he got up and stretched he thought that if he did not return, the noble Sprucepaw family line would end. He put such depressing thoughts far from his mind and went to wake up his crew. His first mate was a trusty beast; a hedgehog, who was a very accomplished swordsbeast. His crew were for the most part very trustworthy and loyal, but he wasn't sure what he though about Silonna Greenholm, the cook. While her meals were excellent and was very quick to obey orders, she did not seem to be very trustworthy, although he could not think of why, he just never felt comfortable sharing important information with her. But he couldn't have asked for a finer day for sailing, the sky was clear, the wind was cool and powerfully blowing to the southwest, and the dawning was a clear yellow. He sighed gratefully at this, he had been partially expecting a red dawn, but had no grounds to base this on. He walked over the still cool sands of the beach to where the Prince was docked, it glistened regally in the sunlight. He made sure tht all was secure and went back to the mountain. Soon he knew; the voyage of the ages would be in store.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Wylder Treejumper

Sir Leonas Drayton strutted importantly up the boarding ramp to his ship, the Leah. He frowned, and looked around him. "Jareth!" He called, "Get the crew aboard the ship and prepare to cast off! Hoist the jib! Reef the front sail-thing! Somebody go down and retrieve the anchor! I'm ready to explore! If you need me, I'll be in my cabin." He walked off with his paw placed dramatically on his rapier.

Jareth Skyreach had a hard time keeping a straight face as he listened to the dramatic fox's orders. Hoist the jib? Reef the front sail-thing? Have somebody swim down and bring up the anchor? None the less, he shouted back, "Aye, Captain! Prepare to cast off, crew!" He heard some guffaws in the ranks of the sailors. Turning around, he said, "Well, who wants to swim down and bring up the anchor?" That stopped the laughter. "Right, let's get to work!"
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Rainshadow

Loud snoring could be heard from a spare room filled with bunks on which the female crewbeasts of the Bonnie Prince Charlie slept.  At least, most of them were asleep.  The farthest bunk from the door was occupied by a calico she-cat who was quite restless, eager to be at sea already.  This was Silonna Greenholm, the cook aboard the Prince.

The wildcat had already been up for quite some time, packing as quietly as she could while simultaneously feeling the urge to rudely awaken everybeast else in the room.  She was getting tired of all the irritating noise.  But no, if all of them were up and about, they would be in the way, as well as quite cranky.  Silonna didn't want any of that, so she left them be, silently grinding her teeth in an effort to keep from screaming.

Placing the last of her belongings in a canvas knapsack, the she-cat sat on her bunk, took her boots from underneath the bed, and pulled them onto her footpaws.  Then, after picking up her lute and carefully slinging it over her back, Silonna took up her knapsack and cautiously sneaked out of the room, only occasionally brushing up against other beasts, and not noticeably enough to wake them up.  At least, she hoped it wasn't noticeable.

After leaving the room, the calico looked down the corridor, wondering where the mess hall was.  She was absolutely famished, and hoped that if the cook was up, he or she would allow her to use a few ingredients to make something to eat.  Possibly oatmeal?  Yes, oatmeal sounded like a good meal.  And so, after a moment's hesitation as to if she was heading the right way, Silonna Greenholm started walking down the long corridor, hoping that she would make it to her destination without too much trouble.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Delthion

Heading towards the mess hall for the going-off breakfast, Onoirath saw Silonna Greenholm several paces ahead. He was never quite certain about the wildcat. Not knowing whether he could bring her into his plans, or if she could not be trusted. Because he wasn't sure about this he for the most part excluded her from his plans. He guessed that this managed to make her even more reclusive. "Well," he thought, "At least she's a good cook."

He loved how the Badger lord was making such a fuss over the expeditions. The Badger lord has always loved the idea of exploring and had to be counseled by all of the beasts in the mountain that accompanying them on their voyage was a foolhardy idea. He smiled as he remembered how comical the sight of a crestfallen badger was.

As he caught up to Silonna he decided to see if she was rather talkative today; "Hello! It is most certainly a perfect day for sailing! How are you doing on such a perfect day?" said Onoirath smiling.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Wylder Treejumper

Jareth saw Sir Drayton stroll off the ship and into the port, but he was so absorbed in his work he did not notice. The for'ard and aft sheets were unfurled, the topgallant hoisted, the bowsprit set, and the Leah was loaded with supplies for her voyage. The only thing missing was... the captain!

Just then, Sir Drayton marched on to the deck and declared loudly, "Stop everything! We are not casting off today! I have formed a convoy with Captain Onoirath Sprucepaw, of the Bonny Prince Charlie!
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

AbbotAlf0809

Jacob Sparra took one massive wiff of the salty sea air and climbed down from the bow, slowly running his paws across the old oaken beams of his family's ancient vessel, The Black Abbey. He headed for the bridge barking orders at the woodlander corsairs accompanying him, "Raise sails, man the rigging!" Jacob looked towards the mainland with his spyglass, at the great mountain of Salamandastron. "If my spies are correct, then that convoy should be leaving soon..." he muttered to himself as his beats raised their flag. A White Castle with crossed cutlasses. "Arm all weapons and sail behind the rocks! We shall catch the convoy by surprise." He walked among the lower levels of his ship, inspecting his gunners, ensuring that the cannons where in perfect order if they were going to capture these ships. Walking back to the main deck he loaded his flintlock pistol.

Trexonian

First Mate Raddax followed Jacob like a shadowy phantom as he was inspecting the ship. The silent officer sharply observing the sailbeasts to see if they were following the captain's orders. "Any beast caught drinking grog before the raid will be flogged!"  Raddax coldly yelled. supplementing Jacob's orders. Most of the sail beasts looked puzzled at the ash black squirrel, for he wasn't formally introduced to the ship quite yet. Raddax had literally been on the ship no more then a couple of hours, he wasn't quite sure how disciplined the Black Abbey's crew was, but they were pirates after all, and it won't be surprising if they need to be kept in line at least a few times a day. Raddax thought this was a good time as any to introduce himself to the Captain. "First Lieutenant Raddax at your service cap'n" and smartly saluted Jacob.

Delthion

OOC: It is just dawning and we don't set off until noon. Sorry about not making that clear.

Wylder Treejumper

Jareth got up early that morning. He couldn't sleep. How could Captain Drayton change plans like that? It threw off everything. He had never even heard of the ship or captain they were convoying with!
That made him think. He should go check it out.

He rolled out of bed and padded silently up to the deck, then skillfully leapt over the ocean onto the pier, and took off running. The ship was the Bonny something... He passed a few ships in anchor, then spotted the one he was looking for. The Bonny Prince Charlie! He took a step back, then made a flying leap onto the deck. He jumped up into the rigging to observe...
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

Rainshadow

"That it is, captain," Silonna agreed, nodding and keeping in step with him as she tried to cover up her slight surprise at seeing the squirrel up so early.  But, then again, he was the captain, so she assumed he was supposed to be up well before the rest of the crew.  It made sense.  Still, the calico had hoped to have the morning to herself, away from the other sailors.  Oh well.

Bringing her thoughts back to Onoirath's question, Silonna simply shrugged and answered, "Alright, I suppose.  You?"  She didn't particularly wish to speak with him, but it would be impolite to abruptly stop a conversation and walk away.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Delthion

Onoirath pondered over Silonna's question for a few seconds and then answered: "I am doing very well, I hadn't expected anyone to be awake already." changing topics he said, "I do hope the cook has something tasty made! Nothing to start a day like a good breakfast after watching the sun come up!" He walked with her for a bit longer and then, they reached the mess hall.

Rainshadow

"No, there isn't anything better than that," Silonna replied, her voice faltering on the last few words.  She attempted to cover this up with a small cough.

Upon entering the mess hall, the she-cat noticed a rather hefty hare, the cook, walking through a door which led to the kitchen.  Silonna quickly went after the cook, saying when she caught up to him, "Pardon me, but is there any food to be had at this hour?  I'm quite hungry, and I was wondering if you had any oatmeal."

The hare looked a bit surprised to see somebeast in his kitchen this early, but he nodded.  "Yes, marm!  H'I'm nearly finished with this pot h'of h'oatmeal, h'if you want to go get h'a bowl."  As he said this, he dipped a ladle into a steaming pot filled with a delicious-smelling oatmeal, put the ladle to his lips, and tasted it.  "Mmm, yes, h'it's done, wot!"

The calico smiled politely and made her way to a stack of bowls, taking one off the top.  Then she returned to the cook, holding it in front of him.  He filled it with the tasty goop and handed her a spoon, then ushered her out of the kitchen, muttering something about how she shouldn't be in there anyway.

So Silonna sat at one of the tables, a bowl of oatmeal before her, and started breakfast.

Delthion

OOC: Thanks for taking the cook! I was about to ask someone to do that.

Onoirath saw the cook; who seemed to be a jovial fellow. He took a small helping politely, he never had really liked oatmeal, but it didn't matter! He decided that he would try to find out more about Silonna, he had never tried to do this before. She never seemed as if she wanted to discuss her past. Knowing this he sat down across from her and then wasn't sure what to do.

LT Sandpaw

Ivan sat in the mess hall of Salamandastron enjoying the free food and drink placed for any early risers. He didn't talk to any beast much, barley touching his food. He had arrived at the mountain fortress days ago intending on dropping the cargo of metals and leaving, he hadn't expected to stay this long. Now that he was here Ivan had learned of a flotilla of explorers was to sail out to some distant land, it intrigued Ivan more than the prospect of home, he could just see himself a young captain at the head of his crew returning home a hero and adventurer.
Looking to his left he saw Onoirath enter with a calico cat. They sat down a little further down the table eating oatmeal. Onoirath was to be the leader of this expedition, captain of the ship Prince Charlie or something, Ivan wondered if he would laugh if asked weather the Surf Rider could join the voyage.
Ivan shrugged it off, if he laughed at him they could settle it on the beach he was going to request his approval to join the adventure. Standing he marched porously towards Onoirath.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Delthion

Onoirath looked up from his bowl and saw another walking over towards him, he assumed it must have something to do with the expedition, he watched and waited for him to voice his question.