News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Castaways of the Flying Dutchman Discussion

Started by Matthias720, July 07, 2011, 04:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bragoon

To be honest, I don't really like Pirates of the Caribbean.  I've watched the first two, and I just can't see the appeal in it.  Some people I know admit that they really only like it because of Johnny Depp's role, which I find more understandable, but the story of the movies themselves just never hit me as particularly good.
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Castaway5

Ben and Ned dying: Here's how I imagine it going down.

1. They get killed, shot at, bombed, trying to help someone, ect.
2. Sun exploding.
3. Beginning to age (Which would be sad because Ned would die first?).
4. Sudden Death. (Suddenly appear in heaven)
5. They don't die, they simply get raised into heaven.

Personally, and I've begun a fanfiction for the idea, I like to think that either 2 or 5 happens. In the story, 2 happens and Ben goes through Heaven like in the book The Five People You Meet in Heaven.  Then at the end, since time won't matter anymore, Ben and Ned can be a person for all the people they've helped in the past, thus getting to explain to all of their friends why they had to leave.

Bragoon

In my view, they would continue working until the Second Coming. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Castaway5

Well, the Dutchman was cursed until the end of time. Its suggested that time will end...  :o

Bragoon

Right, the Second Coming when Jesus Christ takes those he's saved to the new heaven and new earth, meaning the end of our conventional time.

Tannsrall

That is the only part in the books that I do not like is all the religious things about it.
if you not shoopid then don' ask shoopid questions - mousebabe from Bellmaker

I am the law!

-

Bragoon

I think it's one of the best parts of the books, despite the fact that I disagree with a good deal of the nitty-gritty details.  I'm willing to overlook it, considering there are few glaring theological problems, and no major ones that I can bring to mind quickly. 

I suppose it depends on your religious beliefs, but I think it's a healthy dose of reality that some people could use.

Lutra

I think without the religious overtone, the story wouldn't make much sense without diving into mythology, magic or something of that nature.  Mr. Jacques chose religion instead.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Tannsrall

It a great book but it is just kind of weird. I am glad that there was no magic involved and stuff, that is the only reason I don't like Lord of the Rings.

I am the law!

-

Castaway5

The story has a lot of Christian overtones, but that's how the legend of the Flying Dutchman goes.
After the first book, it doesn't really talk about religion too much, but instead focuses on good and evil. 

Tannsrall

I noticed that and was a little glad. I if only my dog was like Ned.

I am the law!

-

Dannflower Reguba

I have the book but I haven't read it yet
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Primrosewarrior

Read it! This is (almost) the best series ever!

Dannflower Reguba

NO WAY!!! Redwall CAN'T be beat by anything! (except possibly Bryan Davis or The Guardians of Ga'Hoole)
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This