Previous topic - Next topic

Jack the Quick

Some were twice the size of a mouse.
'I ate the sharpest tool in the shed'

"Inconceivable!" ~Vizzini, The Princess Bride

"Art is never complete, only abandoned," ~Leonardo da Vinci

Long live the RRR!!

The Grey Coincidence

I think we should also note that character sizes can't only be determined by species. Martin the Warrior is undoubtedly bigger and broader-shouldered than... say... Abbot Durral?
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

Sebias of Redwall

"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

The Grey Coincidence

I can see hedgehogs being that small- hedgehog runts- but honestly they should be between the hares and mice imho.

Jack the Quick

They're definitely bigger than mice.

Long live the RRR!!

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: Jack the Quick on June 18, 2019, 09:29:38 PM
They're definitely bigger than mice.
I'm imagining twice as big. Some of the hedgehogs sounded huge!

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Jack the Quick

Long live the RRR!!

Keva Strongbow

"The world is changed by your example, not your opinion of it."

Sebias of Redwall

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Jack the Quick

Long live the RRR!!

The Grey Coincidence

We didn't. But you brought them to our attention!

Keldor

I mostly agree with the second chart, but I have a few notes.

People already mentioned the hedgehog.  Hedgehogs are indeed heavy, but their body shape means that they aren't especially tall.  Really, I would expect them to be stout like the badger or wolverine, though perhaps a bit more toward the pudgy side.  The height seems correct though.

The three smallest vermin are a bit too large, especially the weasel.  Take about half a head off each one.  Take a full head off the weasel since weasels are really quite small.

The shrew is too tall.  Take off a full head.  Shrews are really small!

The wolverine is too small.  Although the book says the wolverines were the size of male badgers, we should take this with a grain of salt.  It came from the mouths of some of the characters, who had never seen and beast *larger* than a badger, who they already consider to be huge.  "The size of a male badger" is them taking the biggest beast they can think of.  But wolverines are a fair bit bigger than badgers IRL.  I'd make them a full head taller.

Foxes versus cats is an interesting one since red foxes IRL have a pretty huge size range.  The big ones are bigger than cats, the small ones are smaller.  The wildcat could use being a third of a head taller.

Otters are often bigger than people think. They could probably use an extra third of a head.  I don't even know what to do with the sea otters from Pearls of Lutra.  Sea otters are in fact world's largest mustelid, usually larger than wolverines as well as Amazonian giant otters. IRL the smallest female sea otter is comparable to the biggest male badger, and the biggest ones are four and a half foot long 90 lb monsters.  They were certainly not portrayed this way.

The mice are bit too big.  Should be maybe half a head smaller.  Voles are midway between mice and moles, who seem to be about right.

I always overestimate the size of Redwall squirrels.  The reason is that the squirrels I see around here are fox squirrels, which are big guys, larger than grey squirrels and up into the size of ferrets.  But Redwall has European red squirrels, which are much smaller, about the same as those little squirrels I see up in the mountains.

A few notes about species that are very rare in Mossflower and not on the chart:

The white foxes from Rakkety Tam are probably artic foxes, a different species from the red fox we see most of the time.  They're somewhat smaller, perhaps two thirds of a head.

Sables are pretty much the same size as ferrets and pine martens.  Minks are slightly smaller.

Pygmy shrews are ridiculously small, well into the range of insects, weighing only 2g or so.  We're talking about the width of your middle finger and only half the length.  In Redwall terms, maybe put them standing as high as the waist of a mouse?

The Grey Coincidence

Ah, Keldor. Back again with the animal facts XD
Very nice read- and now I must doodle my own chart...

Jack the Quick

Thanks for the help Kandor, I didn't know most of that! Grey, when you're done can you post your doodle here?

Long live the RRR!!

The Grey Coincidence

Yes! What an excellent idea! You can all nitpick..