News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Calvin and Hobbes

Started by Sebias of Redwall, May 08, 2020, 06:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wylder Treejumper

Calvin and Hobbes is beautiful and profound, and, of course, hilarious. For those of you who didn't know, they are named after two philosophers, John Calvin and Thomas Hobbes (although those names don't have anything to do with their respective characters).
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Sebias of Redwall

Agreed. And, huh, I didn't know that.

"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Wylder Treejumper

If you look closely enough, you'll actually find a lot of philosophical jokes in there. Most of them don't directly reference philosophers, but occasionally you do run across one...
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Sebias of Redwall

Yes. True. There are at least a few of those running around.

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

It's quite interesting. I appreciate this comedy.
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

That last one had me laughing hard.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

;D Glad I could be of service.

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Matthias720

You know, the older I get, the more insightful Calvin and Hobbes becomes. The things you laugh at when read at 10 years old are hilarious for a completely different reason when you're 30.

The Skarzs

Calvin and Hobbes is fantastic. I love the comics. I remember reading the book collections for hours.
They helped me expand my vocabulary.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Sebias of Redwall

Lol, yes. They're super good. I'm going to have to get some from the library sometime.

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

I would sincerely love to buy the entire set.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

I wonder if they sell the entire series...

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

The Skarzs

You can probably get them all, but it may take a few different purchases. Not sure if all of them are still in print.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Luftwaffles

Quote from: The Skarzs on July 03, 2020, 05:38:08 PM
You can probably get them all, but it may take a few different purchases. Not sure if all of them are still in print.

A lot (all?) of them are available to read online through the publisher's site. That's how I read decades worth of strips years back.
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!