News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Wildflower Inn OOC Discussion/Sign-Up

Started by Mara the Wolf, October 31, 2020, 01:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quest: Go After a Slaver Band, Which Turns Into a Fight Against Searats

Yes
8 (88.9%)
No
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: December 14, 2020, 05:09:11 PM

Mara the Wolf

They're both fine. I can't tell you if she's too much like Romsca or not, as I honestly don't remember Pearls of Lutra, except that it featured monitor lizards. Anyway, send 'em over to the Inn.

EDIT: I guess you guys missed yesterday's announcement, so, a reminder:
Announcement

So, with the exception of Jarky's new character, everybeast is at Wildflower Inn. But of course, the Inn's supposed a meet-up; the OCs are supposed to go on quests!

So I would like everyone to think up an idea for a 1☆ quest, and PM your idea(s) to me! If I like it, I'll post it here, and we put it to a vote!

Remember, 1☆ quests are the easiest (and if you're an anime fan, no "find my cat" [how would that work anyway? Cats are sapient in Redwall...] or such). Still, think up an adventure, and PM it to me!

@shisteer of nothing much @The Grey Coincidence @Ebantu the Kararehe, I expected some ideas from you by now  C:-)
Fursonas:
Riley: Mountain lion, Sonic the Hedgehog
Amara: African wild dog, The Lion King/The Lion Guard
Masika: Eurasian river otter, Redwall
Mara: Wolf, general

Dannflower Reguba

Name: Gurt "Rockheart" Blunth

Species: Mole

Appearance: Dark brown fur, with few stand-out features if you can look past his imposing stature coupled with multiple scars and burns. He wears a pine green gambeson and ashy grey trousers. He is both tall and exceptionally built by comparison with any normal mole. He carries a large pack upon which he carries his half-plate and mail. His armor has had the shine scuffed out of it, but is well maintained.

Personality: Quite the cheery fellow, boisterous in battle, though not as talkative outside of combat. He can be rowdy with a group, but tends to mind his manners and keep the peace.

Weapons: Most noteworthy is his much beloved Kite shield, not terribly shorter than he is, and well reinforced with iron. Additionally, he carries three knives in his belt. He's well versed in wrestling, and much prefers to crush his opponents with overwhelming strength over anything else.

History: Gurt was always a big mole, growing up in a tidy home east of Redwall in Mossflower along a bank a few Guosim tribes frequented, little over a mile from the nearest holt. He got a taste for wrestling during one such visit, awakening both a wander and battle lust. Many of the campaigns he joined saw him quite literally unearthing fortifications, undermining hordes and armies confidence in the walls they hid behind. He has seen both long siege, and open conflict, seizing glory in his claws and pulverizing any who would stare him down. In regions he frequented, he became the "Son of Earth," for in parting mere dirt he could forge total victory. His specialization in defense is a misnomer that only lasts until he reaches his first adversary, better labeled as a victim, as his defense is just the means by which he acquires his offense. His best weapon, hidden in plain sight.

Gurt has been to the inn a few times before in passing, but has yet to take a quest off them.

@Masika sheet's done, this'd be my first crack at mole speech, don't laugh too hard ;)
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Mara the Wolf

No worries there, @Dannflower Reguba! The only time I ever took a crack at molespeech, I swore never to write another mole again unless absolutely necessary! It literally exhausted me just to check the molespeech guide (and the mole only had five lines!) ^-^
Fursonas:

Dannflower Reguba

Is the character accepted, or is something wrong? Also, like a derp, I forgot to put in part of the history, I was going to leave a brief mention that he had previously visited a time or two, but had yet to take a quest, assuming everything else checks out, would you mind this?

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Mara the Wolf

Yeah, he's accepted. And no, I wouldn't mind if he's been to the Inn before. Presumably, Wildflower Inn isn't a brand-new establishment (one of Ebantu's cats knew of the place, and I didn't say anything against it)
Fursonas:

Ripred the Gnawer

Name: Badwander

Species: Stoat

Appearance: Typical stoat look but has no tail, is missing left ear and has a long jagged scar across throat

Personality: Fierce with those his age, but kinder to younger beasts

Weapon: Broadsword (Like this one:
Sword like Badwander's broadsword
[close]
'We stop looking for monsters under the bed when we realize they are inside of us'
"If you gaze long enough into the abyss, it'll gaze back at you"

Mara the Wolf

@Hazel Lorentz
Hazel, you need to ask if your character can have a relationship (whether it's family, friends, or lovers) with another author's character. Also, your character has basically no personality or backstory. Please, actually put effort into your character. Third, the fight's already been resolved, you can't just try to jump in late. I'm sorry, but I'm going to request @Dannflower Reguba that your post be removed from the RP.
Fursonas:

Ripred the Gnawer

'We stop looking for monsters under the bed when we realize they are inside of us'

Dannflower Reguba

Hey @Hazel Lorentz , welcome to the RP board. Just so you're aware, players aren't supposed to make In character posts until the character they've proposed has been accepted by the GM (GM=Game Master, not to be confused with God-moding which is widely forbidden. Masika is the GM in this case) I'll provide a link to the rules for RP'ing below, along with the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Rules: http://redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=88.0

FAQ: http://redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=10624.0

We also have a topic for Role Playing questions should you desire general advice on anything RP related.

Reference
Quote from: Hazel Lorentz on November 15, 2020, 09:15:40 PM
The inn door suddenly swings open.

*Strange-looking stoat walks in*

"G'day, mates. Wha-"

*Notices Roughtail for the first time and stops*

Quote from: Masika on November 15, 2020, 10:42:12 AM
The wolf brought the rat to her face so they were (literally) nose-to-nose. "Ya think this about a stupid tankard?! Ya've been nothing but rude, threat'ning, ungrateful an' disrespectful t' the beasts who saved your sorry, no-good, flea-bitten hide from the moment ya walked in here! And then ya have t' gall t' attack me, after I helped tend t' ya, simply over a bonk on the head!" The wolf bared her fangs, looking like she might bite him at any moment.

"Ey, you! Leggo o' my matey this instant, wolf. D'ya hear me?"

*Pulls out broadsword and advances, ready to attack*
[close]

Above is the deleted post, I pulled it because I thought this might be a good opportunity to give you some pointers. Your best bet is to try and keep your writing organized in traditional paragraphs, I've more recently started using more spacing when there are lines of speech from multiple characters, but you still generally want your text to be clumped neatly. If you want to color your text, I won't stop you, but you may find it to be a bit more work than it's worth. Avoid using asterisks to announce actions, you're robbing yourself of precious verbs that bring your post to life. Take the end of the post for instance, why don't we try this...

"Ey, you! Leggo o' my matey this h'instant wolf! D'ya hear me?!" Sword drawn, the stoat stepped forward, readied for a fight.

This way the words are less broken up, and your writing is a bit more clear, allowing room for more flair as you pick up on different writing tricks and habits. One last note, pulling full quotes from other posts can be really jarring when you read through. When trying to reference something from another post, your best bet is pulling someone said and putting it in "Italics and quotes" or describing what your character sees with some key details to indicate when exactly your post is happening.

@WorshipTiria you may also want to go over the Rules, FAQ, and take a look at the RP questions topic.

I must say though, I'm really excited to see so many new faces, I've been doing this since I joined the forum in 2012, and have loved the entire journey. I encourage those of you who are new to stick it out, the first posts are never easy. If you've ever got RP related questions, I'd be more than happy to give you whatever I can.  :)

Ripred the Gnawer

Mara the Wolf

Fursonas:

Ripred the Gnawer

Quote from: Masika on November 17, 2020, 12:06:42 AM
A couple of reference pages for beginners:

So You Want to Make Interesting Characters: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SoYouWantTo/MakeInterestingCharacters

So You Want to Develop Character Personality: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SoYouWantTo/DevelopCharacterPersonality
umm...but they are all about making your character(s) human, not animal.

Mara the Wolf

It doesn't matter. Redwall is a world of anthro animals. You could replace the characters with humans, and very little would change.

The point of these pages have nothing to do with species, but with developing the most important parts of a character:

• Personality
  • Motivation
  • Development

No matter the species, you like a character for who they are. These pages can even apply to xenofiction (a story told from a non-human perspective, like how A Dog's Purpose and A Dog's Way Home, both by W. Bruce Cameron, are told from the perspective of dogs.)
Fursonas:

Vizireian

Name: Vizion 'Viz'

Species: arctic fox

Hometown: a small town in mossflower wood

Personality/Traits: brave, over the top, painfully oblivious, compassionate, quiet unless prevoked and polite

Clothing: at home: a white cotton shirt, white cotton pants, leather boots. Everywhere else: An amber and black leather tunic over chain mail with chain mail pants and gloves and leather boots

Weapons: A rapier

Appearance: muscular, tall, red eyes, white fur

Strengths: humility and a normally clear mind

Weaknesses: he refuses to hurt innocent bystanders and he will harm those who call him a coward

Background: Vizion was raised in Redwall abby until the age of 6 when he was adopted by a kind otter to be trained as a guard for rich mouse family's daughter. In his training he learned swordply though he would rather sleep then watch his charge he will still choose to be responsible over taking the cowards way out

Love: his charge eventually and yes his charge will get her own character sheet later

Mara the Wolf

• Might wanna spell check with your own eyes. I was like "mose? What's a mose? ...Oh, a mouse," and then "how to act in high sooty? How do you act in sooty? ...Oh, high society".
  • I'm pretty sure they don't have knights in Redwall, and there's no high society either. Jacques said it was all little country villages and such.
  • A nitpick on my end, but you are aware arctic foxes aren't white year-round, right? They have a mottled brown coat in spring & summer, then their fur turns white in late fall.
Fursonas: