News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Voles

Started by Galedeep, May 24, 2012, 08:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galedeep

Throughout the series, Voles are generally portrayed  as being snide, cowardly, and/or traitorous. Why do you think that is? Why are they still considered "good" characters? Have there been any exceptions to these fundamentals? Who are among your favorite  voles?

Flandor

Well there was Burble from Marlfox who helped Dann and Song and Dippler return the tapestry. He was quite talkative but definitely heroic.

Also, who could forget Rollo! He was an adorable, funny, adventurous baby and an intelligent, sensible oldbeast.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

redwallgurl

well i mean in thoose books hes kinda grey if you know what i mean they were just displayed like that i guess there are some exceptions that falndor mentioned but im not entirely sure
Fun. is a fantastic band.

rakkety tam

yoofus lightpaw was a vole in rakkety tam he was okey to me i guess
rock'n'roll  will survive

25% nerd 25% redneck 25% rocker 25% Redwaller  100% me

If war must come, let it come during my generation, so that my children will know peace

Tannsrall

I think that the river voles are the ones who are mean, like the ones in Marlfox.
if you not shoopid then don' ask shoopid questions - mousebabe from Bellmaker

I am the law!

-

Skipper

The Vole tribe in Triss seemed like a nice bunch

Redwaller

In Martin The Warrior there is a vole that betrayed Felldoh and the slaves

GeminyaTome

It seems like Brian just wanted some grey characters so he decided to make voles grey. He does a lot of keeping species quite similar. Moles are always sensible and shy, otters rambunctious and warrior-like, badgers strong and awe-inspiring, etc. Voles are just grey.
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Psalm 90:2,4

Captain Rake Nightfur

i agree, Mr. brain did make some voles mean and bad. but some of them are good. i think that he just wanted some beasts that are mean, yet come from the so called 'good beast' line.
Gave' em blood and vinegar chaps!And that's an order wot wot!

everybeast tells' "bréaga álainn." but they never help anybeast

Lutra

Good observation--never looked at the voles as a species as being gray, but indeed they are.  You've got your good/evil examples.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

WildDoogyPlumm

I think the species is kind of split: some are good and some are bad, and some are a bit of both.
They're definitely not all bad.  As someone mentioned before, Burble from Marlfox is a helpful young vole.  To be honest, he annoyed me a little bit, but he's obviously good at heart.
There's also the vole tribe from Taggerung.  They were really nice.
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

AbbotAlf0805

I think voles are gray creatures.
I will lead Redwall Abbey to a golden age of peace through the power of Jesus Christ.

gorath

Yea, sometimes they were good, and sometimes they were bad. I love it how that vole in Eulalia was scared by Gorath the Flame. :D :D :D :D :D
My favorite people: Obi Wan, Satele Shan, Jek 14, Kai, Longtooth, and Kili.

Tiria Wildlough

I think bankvoles are usually bad, and watervoles are usually good.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Tam and Martin

I (Tam) like Burble and Brother Weld.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000