News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Star Wars discussion

Started by blindsimeonjtp, October 07, 2012, 03:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friar Poppy

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on December 22, 2017, 12:52:49 AM
With no context, it seemed like you weren't simply upset with J.J. Abrams about TFA (understandable), but were taking it a step further by insulting the fact that he's Jewish.  That was the problem.  My apologies if I ever came across as too harsh.

You were being harsh?

I'm a troll apparently. I'm glad someone told me!

Søren

Spoiler

Okay I'll say it
I actually really liked The Last Jedi.
Don't hit me.
[close]

I'm retired from the forum

Jukka the Sling

What was your favorite part?

Quote from: Friar Poppy on December 24, 2017, 01:36:09 AM
Quote from: Jukka the Sling on December 22, 2017, 12:52:49 AM
With no context, it seemed like you weren't simply upset with J.J. Abrams about TFA (understandable), but were taking it a step further by insulting the fact that he's Jewish.  That was the problem.  My apologies if I ever came across as too harsh.

You were being harsh?
Just wanted to make sure I hadn't been rude in any way.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Lady Ashenwyte

About Snoke and his pointlessness, wasn't Emperor Palpatine the same type before the prequels came out?

The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Jetthebinturong

No because he wasn't unceremoniously killed off two thirds of the way through the second movie after being built up to be the main villain of the series.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Søren

@Jukka the Sling the Reylo conversations and the red room fight scene, plus whatever Maz was doing.

Jukka the Sling

Oh, I loved the red room fight scene! ;D  The best part was when Kylo just burst-ignited the saber through that guy's face.  (Only thing that bugs me is: shouldn't Kylo have just been able to knock them all over with a Force-push and make his escape?  Eh, whatever.)

Do you actually ship Reylo?
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Gonff the Mousethief

Quote from: Søren on December 26, 2017, 12:38:36 AM
Spoiler

Okay I'll say it
I actually really liked The Last Jedi.
Don't hit me.
[close]

Amen
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Søren

Rosie Willowwater

I watched it today, and I think it's pretty good. I have a couple complaints, but it's hard to live up to the previous movies, and this one on it's own is pretty darn good.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on December 26, 2017, 07:40:33 PM
Oh, I loved the red room fight scene! ;D  The best part was when Kylo just burst-ignited the saber through that guy's face.  (Only thing that bugs me is: shouldn't Kylo have just been able to knock them all over with a Force-push and make his escape?  Eh, whatever.)

Do you actually ship Reylo?

I know next to nothing about Star Wars, but I do now that most movies when given the option of fight or run/do the smart thing/whatever, they go "Nahhhhh. LET'S HAVE ANOTHER AT LEAST FIVE MINUTE STUPID OP FIGHT SCENE. WE SHALL TITLE IT FIGHT SCENE 18 BECAUSE IT'S THE 18TH FIGHT SCENE IN THE MOVIE! YEAAHHHHHHH! FUN!"

. . .
Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. But in most cases for movies like Star Wars, you're gonna get another fight scene. Because directors love them, I guess?? (Also I've gotten bored and counted fight scenes in movies before. At least 20 is normal for stuff like this. Gotta show how bad the heroes are, y'know?)

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Søren on December 26, 2017, 08:48:33 PM
@Jukka the Sling I do now
Ah.  I don't think Rey really likes him that way in canon, but I am becoming slightly intrigued by the ship.  Still hoping for Finnrey, though.

@Corn: Haha, that does seem to be a thing with a lot of movies. xD

My annoyance at the movie has cooled down somewhat, and I'm excited to see it again once it's on DVD.  However, I'm still irked by all the pesky little unexplained things.  Like, why couldn't they have gotten a droid to stay behind and helm the flagship?  And why haven't they ever used lightspeed before this, to kamikaze the Death Star or something?  It was also really handy that the Master Codebreaker was on a planet that just happened to be nearby...

And why didn't Holdo tell Poe her plan in some way?  Instead, because of her silence, he thought she was a traitor and concocted a crazy plan with Finn and Rose that accomplished literally nothing, except for getting them sold out to the First Order by DJ and causing the deaths of countless Resistance members.  That's just poor storytelling, and it's the one thing I can't wrap my head around.  What on earth was Rian thinking?  Was he trying to show that even heroes fail sometimes, or something?  The entire subplot was nothing but filler.

LT Sandpaw

I finally watched the movie, I can't say I'm impressed but I don't hate it either. The movie was a cool, well made film it was just disappointing in its delivery of a very wishy-washy and flawed story. It seems disconnected from the Force Awakens as if the director didn't even watch episode seven and just read the synopsis on the back of the CD case for reference. Its just really disappointing because it had so much potential where the writers came very close to an amazing story, but didn't take that extra step.

The biggest complaint I have with the movie is it leaves nothing more to be gained. They killed off the big baddy and Kylo is hardly something to be feared. Rey beat him in the first movie easy as you please, which leaves no real conflict. Phasma is presumably dead, and Hux isn't all that impressive either. Where's the challenge for our characters when the bad guys are so horribly incompetent. At least the prequels made some competent and dangerous rivals. Besides Snoke the new series is void of any real threats, and we all say what happened to him.

And the number of plot holes and super random conveniences was unbelievable. Also Leia saving herself from space and the character Rose were some of the worst things about that movie. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Rose shouldn't have been in the movie at all, and Leia should've died.

It had some good parts though. Although Vice Admiral Holdo was an overblown retard her final act of light speeding through the First Order's fleet was phenomenal. Poe was in general really cool all throughout the movie, he's the one fun and interesting character in the movie. And the lightsaber fight against the Pretorian Guards with Rey and Kylo teaming up was the best scene in the movie. Even if it made no sense.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Jukka the Sling

Yeah, it felt like they were just killing off characters right and left.  And although they've left it open-ended as to whether or not Phasma died, it would be kind of ridiculous to bring her back a third time in IX.

The Leia scene was alright in principle (grabbing onto the ship with the Force and pulling herself through zero-gravity), but it was executed oddly.  She looked stiffish and fake.

Really liked Poe in this one too.

Grond

I found Ren's fall to the darkside to be interesting. Luke is standing over him while he is sleeping, senses the darkside and contemplates killing him even drawing his light saber. Ren then awakes uses the force to crumble the building-bury Luke in the ruble and kills the other apprentices with those loyal to him. Definitely an example of Luke creating a self fulfilling prophecy of his nephew becoming a Sith. I mean what would you expect Ren to do when he woke up to his uncle with light saber drawn trying or contemplating killing him ?

Snoke's death was also better than Palpatine's. Ren kills him by activating the light saber at his side and cutting him in half and doesn't give Snoke time to react in that he thought Ren was going to kill Rey. But they really should have saved it for the 9th movie. Palpatine's death was just stupid, in the 6th movie, where Vader physically picks him up by bear hugging him from the back carrying him to the reactor shaft and dropping him into it. Palpatine was the most powerful being in the universe- having bested Yoda in combat and yet he died like that. How couldn't he break Vader's hold?? Snoke's death was what Palpatine's should have been like...

Its really annoying though how incompetent they made Ren though...