News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

The Manly Thread

Started by phoenixfoden, October 28, 2012, 01:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Ashenwyte

The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Rusvul

...Yeah. I'm with Ash on this one. "Man" is a status that any boy can achieve by living long enough. Ideas of hard work, sacrifice, standing by one's principles, doing what's right... Not only are these traits far from ubiquitous among men, they're also (as Corn pointed out) in no way exclusive to men. Arbitrarily defining a "real man" as someone who meets a certain set of moral standards is... well, arbitrary, kind of strange, and potentially harmful.

The Skarzs

Great let's start a debate about our personal definitions of what we imagine who or what men should become or represent. ::)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

Quote from: Rusvul on December 22, 2017, 06:34:50 PM
...Yeah. I'm with Ash on this one. "Man" is a status that any boy can achieve by living long enough. Ideas of hard work, sacrifice, standing by one's principles, doing what's right... Not only are these traits far from ubiquitous among men, they're also (as Corn pointed out) in no way exclusive to men. Arbitrarily defining a "real man" as someone who meets a certain set of moral standards is... well, arbitrary, kind of strange, and potentially harmful.

*Internal screaming.* ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: The Skarzs on December 23, 2017, 12:13:19 AM
Great let's start a debate about our personal definitions of what we imagine who or what men should become or represent. ::)

You say that like debates are a bad thing. This is a nice, friendly debate. No one's being mean, no one really seems to be getting huffy. . . Is there a problem with this sort of debate?

The Skarzs

I'm just a little burnt out about them right now. . . Also my headache is affecting my mood. . .
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

Rosie Willowwater

Quote from: The Skarzs on December 23, 2017, 03:12:44 AM
I'm just a little burnt out about them right now. . . Also my headache is affecting my mood. . .

Awww. *Hugs* Yeah pain's hard to deal with. You should see me when I'm in pain. I become irritable real fast. I really should work on that...   :P

Rusvul

We don't have to debate (though I will if you'd like to). I'm happy to agree to disagree. However, if it's alright for you and Wylder to discuss your your views on manhood and the meaning thereof in The Manly Thread--and I absolutely think it is, that seems like exactly what this thread is for--then it follows that it's alright for me to disagree, and put forth my own ideas.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Lady Ashenwyte

The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Rusvul

Quote from: Lord_Ashenwyte on December 23, 2017, 04:46:14 AM
orc

Those aren't men! Well, depending on who you ask. Tolkein's orcs aren't men because orcs are orcs and men are men. Warhammer orks aren't men because they're boyz (and fungi). You could probably call a Warcraft or D&D orc a man, though.

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Rusvul on December 23, 2017, 05:33:56 AM
Quote from: Lord_Ashenwyte on December 23, 2017, 04:46:14 AM
orc

Those aren't men! Well, depending on who you ask. Tolkein's orcs aren't men because orcs are orcs and men are men. Warhammer orks aren't men because they're boyz (and fungi). You could probably call a Warcraft or D&D orc a man, though.

well akchyuall y tolkien orcs are elves so oooooooo

also warcraft bahahaha

Søren

Here's a question for y'all: What's the difference between a "man" and a "dude"?

I'm retired from the forum

The Skarzs

Wut.
Choice of language? Same thing with "guy" or "guys."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.