News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

A Winter to Freeze Your Heart part 2

Started by Unimaginative, February 10, 2014, 06:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornflower MM

"Whoooaaaaa, easy there!" Ushen's paws shot out to help steady Vatra. "S'a good thing I decided not to volunteer as a door stand in then, isn't it? Where are you off to in such a hurry?" He peeked around the pile of laundry and blinked at the other squirrel - Her eyes were bloodshot and Ushen was willing to bet there was dark circles around them underneath that black fur.

Arya had finished making her way over and exchanged a glance with Ushen. "You want us to take some of that? You look ready to drop at any moment. When was the last time you actually got some sleep?"

Dannflower Reguba

"Oh pish n' tush n' all that! I slept last night, same as you. That having been said, I would be more than happy to share some of this confounded, blitherin' heap. I needn't the shame of competing with dibbuns in a tail fur tanning race. I swear, the name sister Bess'll gimme the sweats for my finer years." Vatra began walking, albeit a might doggedly, toward the Abbey lawn once more to finish the hanging, "You two m'guffins up to something about now?" Curious, owlish peepers blinked back at her friends following the question.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Cornflower MM

Scooping some of the clothes off the top of the pile in Vatra's arms, Arya raised an eyebrow at her. "Sister Bess is indeed a force to be reckoned with, we should have sent her in here to terrify the vermin. Or maybe we should set her on you to sit down and rest before you fall asleep standin' up!" Her tone was gentle but chiding all the same and she sighed as she fell into step beside Vatra, Ushen following right behind them. "Ushen was just rescuing me from the fate of mopping floors till dinner with somethin' about the Gatehouse."

Dannflower Reguba

Vatra rolled her eyes as her friend spoke, "Oh go slip in a puddle! Ya know, you can be a right cad, you know that?" She harrumphed the rest of the way to the hanging lines and huffily set about draping the clothes. The squirrel's head poked out around the side of a damp habit, cruel revenge burning in her eyes and creasing her lips, "You mentioned the gatehouse, is this a group excursion or a... private matter?"

It was bright, noon? Past noon? Didn't matter. Ervoyce looked to both of his sides, doing his best to size up the room, seemingly full of various, injured beasts. Judging from the missing Vatra and lack of minor injuries in the infirmary, more than a day had likely passed.

"Oh! You're awake. Awake, awake!"

The sister was quick to draw near, "Yeh've bee'n awfully quiet these few days sah squirrel, how'ya feeling?"

"Thirsty, don't suppose you've seen the miss black furred squirrel about recently have you?"

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Cornflower MM

Arya gaped at Vatra, "Why you- You!" Her cheeks burning, she threw a soggy nightshirt at the other squirrel. "You and Ervoyce are the ones doin' all the kissin'!" She looked to Ushen for help but he was too busy laughing at her embarrassed indignation, "Ohohoho, don't get me involved, heeheehee!"

~~~

"Oh lemme jus' get you a cuppa water, then." Sister Cecily bustled off to retrieve the water before answering Ervoyce's second question. "Aye, she's been aroun' quite a bit. Comes back every nigh' and wanders through every so often durin' the day. I'm not real sure where she is now, though, but let's get you sittin' up so you don't choke."

Dannflower Reguba

Vatra caught a face full of fabric around the same time she even managed to realize that something was being thrown at her, falling over in a mix of drama and legitimate surprise, "ACK! Yeh've killed me dead! Well now there'll be no more kissin' thanks to you an' bashful chops over there smilin' like a naughty dibbun! BLAGGARDS THE BOTH OF YOU, NOW TASTE MY SMOCK!" Said article of clothing was quickly in the air, validating the threat leveled at Arya before setting herself upon Ushen, "There'll be no hiding on the sidelines fer either of you! I'll biff both of ya with-!... er... er... A BONNET! That's it, I'll biff ye both with a bally bonnet!" With no bonnet in sight, the squirrel gripped the nearest garment available and swung for her other friend.

Ervoyce struggled to rise on his own, but could barely even manage to raise his head above the rest of his weary body, flopping back into the frame with an irritated sigh... or grunt. He did his best to meet the sister's gaze, "How... how has she been? Sleeping alright? Has she been eating? Keeping herself busy?" Sweat began to bead on his brow, he felt selfish worrying so much about Vatra's health in the wake of his own illness.... Even so, the image of her by the pond haunted him, he shuddered.

Cornflower MM

Ushen yelped and hopped away from Vatra, "Arya, help! She's after me!" Unfortunately he underestimated the size of the habit and was attacked by the sleeves. "Serves you right, Mr. Chuckles!" Arya's words were muffled by the smock that had landed over her head. Peeking out from under it she giggled and grinned at Vatra before yanking the garment off and flicking it at Ushen, enjoying the indignant splutters perhaps too much. "Hey! I didn't do anythin'! Stahppit!"

~~~

Slipping her arm under Ervoyce's shoulders, the mouse lifted him quickly and moved his pillow to provide better support. "There y'are, dear." She paused to lift the water cup to his mouth before continuing, "She's been alrigh', I suppose. I don' think she's been sleepin' well and she's abou' to run herself off 'er feet, she is, but I've seen her with food in paw many a time. Problem is gettin' her to stop long enough to figure ou' if she's comin' or goin' but mebbe now you've awoken for a time she'll start slowin' down. Had enough? I need to look over you proper now." Cecily squinted down at Ervoyce sternly, as if already trying to begin her assessment.

~~~

The work in the Cellars finished up a lot quicker than Bryant had thought it would since his group hadn't stopped for a lunch break, and the squirrel found himself wandering out of the Kitchens with a tray for himself and the Infirmary Sister on duty somewhat guiltily. I would have asked Ushen to wait if I'd realized I was only going to be fifteen more minutes, but I suppose it's no good to dwell on 'would haves.' The squirrel mused to himself, already nearing the Infirmary. "Sister Cecily? I brought lunch- Oh you're up!" Bryant cried, poking his head in the door before hurrying in.

Dannflower Reguba

"Well ain't that just peachy, haven't done anything? THERE'S YER PROBLEM BUCKO! You two go cuckoo every time your eyes meet, n' then ya don't do a thing about it! 'Least Ervoyce and I didn' go toot'lin round the bush when we.... figured... each other... out." The wind in Vatra's sails became more of a breeze, but she kept up the energy regardless, even through tripped up words. She gave Ushen another wack, "SO WHAT'S TA BE DONE ABOUT THAT  MISTER PAINTER!?"

"Och, awa' wih ya, nary a way yer convincin' me yeh did'n look me o're good n proper afore this!" Ervoyce leveled a challenging, counter squint at the sister for a moment before falling back against the pillow, "Pardon me miss, but givin' the healers guff has pretty much become tradition at this point, look at your own peril!" The squirrel did his best to make Cecily's job easier, weak as he felt, though they were soon interrupted by Bryant's entrance. A black paw raised meekly in greeting, "Well howdy sunshine, get kicked outa the kitchens for blindin' everybeast?"

Cornflower MM

Ushen tried desperately to avoid both Arya and Vatra's attacks, only to end up completely unbalancing himself and staggering into the clothing line and almost knocking it down. Arya paused in her attack and extended a paw to help Ushen regain his feet but the other squirrel had taken the opportunity to grab a pair of pants off the line and promptly smacked her with them. "That's for turnin' against me!" He aimed at Vatra, "And this is for gettin' me involved!"

~~~

Bryant scoffed at Ervoyce, "Good to see that you're feeling ornery as ever. Are you doing okay?" He set the tray down and peered down at Ervoyce. "No need to worry too much, he'll be righ' as rain so long as he doesn' push hisself too far too fast." Sister Cecily butted in, giving Ervoyce another look before taking a bite out of a pasty and walking to check on some of the others in the Infirmary. "She seems. . . Friendly." Bryant remarked as he watched her go.

Dannflower Reguba

Vatra was struck in the arm, reeling back dramatically in response to the blow with a flailing display, "Lackaday and for shame sir! Yeh've struck a maid!" The dark squirrel flopped on her back, wailing pitifully in-between spurts of giggling, "Ooooooh, wouldja juss'-Krrngh- lookit 'im! Smilin' ouul smug lik-kkkgh-e while biffin' us two innocent gels aru-ru-ree hee hee hee-round like a right frog walloper! AaaroOoOoo! Wouldn't you a-hn hn hn hn hn, agree miss Arya?!" Spotting a gaggle of dibbuns, she implored them, still writhing on the ground but with a gleam in her eye, "Avast yee dibbuns! 'Elp! We're two beauties be'set by this fiendish creature. We tried to stop him from stealin' all the laundry, but he's seized the Abbess's robes!" She stole a glance at Ushen, shooting a winning smile his way... or a wicked one, she knew what she'd done.

Ervoyce chuckled dryly at the remark, offering an innocent grin to the now departing sister, "Depends, okay for a dead beast? Yeah, I'm doing pretty spiffin' well! Okay for a livin' beast..." His voice trailed off, concern evident in his manner and speech, "Tis a bit harder to say. I know the good sister is trying to be reassuring, but one does not visit death's door without bringin' somethin' back, she's not so careless a master as to leave holes in the journey betwixt." He inhaled fully, looking back up at Bryant from the sheets, composed, "But I'm breathing now, and that's the start of better things huh? How're things aroun' the abbey, what've I missed and how's everybeast doing?"

Cornflower MM

Ushen gaped at Vatra, "Why, I never-Hey! No! No no no! Traitor!" His attention quickly switched to the Dibbuns who were all too eager to join in: "'Top 'im, he got Muvver Rushina's robes!" One of them crowed, pointing at the flabbergasted squirrel before yelling "CHAAAAARGE!"
       "I'll remember this, don't think I won't!" Ushen threw over his shoulder as he pivoted and jogged away before the persistent Dibbuns could jump on him and attack.

Arya flopped down beside Vatra, giggling so hard she couldn't talk. "Oh, goodness gracious, the look on his face was precious," She chuckled a moment later after calming a little, turning to look at her friend with a grin.

~~~

Bryant paused a moment before speaking, carefully looking at Ervoyce, "Well, the good thing about holes is that they can be filled in and patched, and that's what we're here for." He grinned, moving onto lighter topics at the not-so-subtle nudge.
       "You've missed both a lot and not much with the Abbey, we've got a lot of the cleanin' and fixin' done but there's still a bunch to do. I heard that we're havin' a feast pretty soon. Everyone's moved back in and it's a bit of a tight squeeze but we're makin' do. Abbess Russina's been running around talking to empty rooms like normal, Vatra's been running around like a crazybeast trying to get everything done at once, Arya and Ushen are still dancin' around each other. . . Same old same old, really. The Dibbuns got themselves into a pickle yesterday - Nearly set the kitchens on fire trying to 'help', although I'm not sure what they were helping with." Bryant laughed at the memory. There hadn't been any real harm done because they'd caught the flames in time, thankfully, but the way the Dibbuns had filed out of the kitchens had been quite memorable.

Dannflower Reguba

Vatra's chest still heaved with laughter at the sight of Ushen fleeing the enthusiastic band of little rogues. She was joined on the ground by Arya as she strove to calm down, "It really is like old times now huh?" She shared in her friend's expression, still giggling intermittently. The sky was nice and clear, and the first tinges of evening were painting themselves on the blue backdrop like lazy golden streams, "... Old times, just..... different." Her smile towards the blue beyond wilted a bit at the thought. She wanted to say better for the new friends, victorious atmosphere, and her own newfound joys... But nothing good was ever free, and they had certainly paid in full. Yet, if she'd learned anything at all over the season, anything from her time with great friends and with Ervoyce, it was to accept the grievances of the past, to appreciate both what was lost and what was here now, "Y'know, about this time, not all that long ago, snow was flyin' all o'er the place... an' here I was gettin' in an argument." Vatra chuckled as she shook her head, as if to chide herself a season ago. The squirrel turned to look at the other once more, smiling again, "Regardless of what's been gained or lost, I know I wouldn't trade any of the companions I was with."

Amusement made for a good distraction, and the antics of the abbey were as good a laugh as anything else so far as Ervoyce was concerned, rolling his eyes at the mention of the more bashful pairing of this spring. Quiet reigned for a moment between the two, punctuated by the sister's chattering at intervals, "The Torrent... I take it they're gone yes? And it sounds like Vatra's really kept herself busy in the meantime." Hearing this from Bryant felt a little more reassuring, "H-hey... Would. . . you mind, seein' if. . Vatra..." He slowly twiddled his paws, mulling over whether or not he felt embarrassed or just awkward at the request. He looked up hopefully, "..... Please?"

Cornflower MM

Arya's smile softened as she looked at Vatra, watching as the shadow of her thoughts flitted across her face. "There's certainly been a lot of changes, hasn't there? Friends were lost, but some have been found, too. I think that those who have moved on would be proud of where we are now and what we've accomplished." Sorrow darkened Arya's eyes as she thought about the snowball fight - A cheerful otter's laugh echoed through her mind before she blinked, shaking off the memory. "It's been a hard journey, but those who accompanied us have made everything worth it."

~~~

Bryant nodded to Evoyce's question about the Torrent, his mouth full of lunch, only to hurriedly swallow at Ervoyce's next words. "Oh! Yeah, yeah of course. Sorry I didn't think of runnin' to find her earlier, silly me." He set the tray down to the side and hopped off the bed, holding onto the last pasty and scurrying to the door. "Be back before you know it!"

Dannflower Reguba

Vatra took her friends paw and gave it a firm squeeze before hoisting herself from the grass, "Come now, we should probably make things tidy about here now that we're rid of his royal troublemaker." She offered a paw to Arya before setting about the washing once more, snapping green blades out of the scattered articles from the wardrobe explosion, "In all earnestness, what is between you and Ushen? You two go all googly eyed but never pass a blinkin' word!" The squirrel's paws slowed, wiping hair from her eyes as a thought occurred to her, peering around the clothing as before, previous mischief now replaced with something stuck in the middle of curiosity, compassion, and concern, "Are you... afraid of something?"

Cornflower MM

Arya regarded the fabric in her paws with a thoughtful hum, brushing off an errant ant that was making it's way across the top of the habit. "We care for each other a lot but. . . There's been a lot going on with fixin' up the Abbey, y'know? So we haven't really sat down to talk about it. " She paused to pin the habit to the line, clearly thinking through her words.

"It kinda feels too good to be true, so part of me has been avoiding all of that. I'm afraid Ushen's going to get ripped away somehow, sometime soon, just like every other good thing." Arya avoided looking at Vatra as she talked, focusing on gathering and shaking out more clothes. She knew it was better to talk through her hesitations and that Vatra would only be supportive, but a warm blush still worked it's way up her cheeks. Her fear of Ushen poofing away sounded so silly when spoken out loud, yet it also made the idea seem ever so slightly more real at the same time.