News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Marvel (Comics, Movies, TV Shows)

Started by Søren, December 19, 2014, 03:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LT Sandpaw

Thoughts on Antman? I personally thought it was pretty good, but a lot of people disagree with me. It kinda reminded me of how they did Space Avengers Guardians of the Galaxy, almost like Marvel is doing things just because, well lets face it. They can.

Or maybe even using the movie to test how people react to certain things so that they can improve for their next Avenger movie.

Still it was a good movie and pretty funny. Louise is hilarious, he better show up in another Marvel movie!

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

The Skarzs

I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard mixed reviews.
One thing about the amount of movies they're making: My brother said it has to do with some contract they got themselves into; they have to make a certain amount of movies or something. Not sure how true it is but there you go.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

SoranMBane

Well, while I do agree that Ant-Man was a genuinely fun movie on its own, it should be noted that the most prominent reasons I've seen for people disliking it have less to do with its overall quality and more with the (really quite egregious) issue of how this movie writes Hank Pym's wife (AKA, the Wasp) out of the story.

First because it's simply yet another example of a story with a female character whose only real purpose in the plot is to die (or, in this case, get sucked into an inescapable quantum void forever) in order to motivate a male character. This isn't a universally abhorrent trope, but there's a lot of examples of this in the media already, and each one grates more than the last.

But mainly people didn't like this because of how it relates to the comics. In the original Avengers comics, the first founding members of the Avengers were Iron Man, Thor, the Hulk, Ant-Man, and, you guessed it, the Wasp. Beyond just being a founding member, the Wasp actually led the group for a time, and she was even the one who came up with the name "The Avengers." I'm actually not a huge comics reader (I mostly know all this stuff from second-hand sources), but from what I understand she was one of the more interesting and well-written characters in the Avengers lineup through the years.

And in this movie she gets unceremoniously written out of the plot as part of here male counterpart's backstory, plus now she's the only founding member of the Avengers to not have her own movie in the MCU. As much fun as I had with Ant-Man, I do have to admit that all of that is pretty awful.

LT Sandpaw

I agree Soran, however you have to remember that they are clearly not following the original storyline. They have shown that they don't need to follow the comics at all, and they really haven't.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Gonff the Mousethief

I see what you mean Soran, but in the end credit scenes, Hank gave his daughter a suit him and Wasp were making, and I believe she might be playing Wasp in upcoming Marvel Movies.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

SoranMBane

But the issue here is not just that they made changes. Simply diverging from the source material's storyline is all well and good (in fact, I'm on record as being totally fine with adaptations making sweeping departures from the source material), but it's only if those changes don't make the story legitimately worse. What happens to the Wasp in the movie is pretty offensively worse.

Hopefully Hank's daughter gets her own movie as the Wasp at some point; that would go a long way towards making amends, I think. Even just giving her a prominent role as part of an ensemble would be better than nothing, though it would be preferable if she was the protagonist (the MCU really, desperately needs a female-led film; the first one may as well be the Wasp).

Jetthebinturong

They're doing a Captain Marvel film in 2017. Captain Marvel is female. But I do agree that the Wasp should get her own movie.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

The Skarzs

I thought Marvel was an alien; Miss Marvel was the female. :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jetthebinturong

"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Hickory

Quote from: SoranMBane on September 09, 2015, 11:59:51 PM
But the issue here is not just that they made changes. Simply diverging from the source material's storyline is all well and good (in fact, I'm on record as being totally fine with adaptations making sweeping departures from the source material), but it's only if those changes don't make the story legitimately worse. What happens to the Wasp in the movie is pretty offensively worse.

Hopefully Hank's daughter gets her own movie as the Wasp at some point; that would go a long way towards making amends, I think. Even just giving her a prominent role as part of an ensemble would be better than nothing, though it would be preferable if she was the protagonist (the MCU really, desperately needs a female-led film; the first one may as well be the Wasp).
This brings to the table the not-so-possible Black Widow film, which, if it is made, will have to be shared with Hawkeye. A shame. (my locker poster is Black Widow.)
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

rachel25

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on September 09, 2015, 07:32:10 PM

Thoughts on Antman? I personally thought it was pretty good, but a lot of people disagree with me. It kinda reminded me of how they did Space Avengers Guardians of the Galaxy, almost like Marvel is doing things just because, well lets face it. They can.

Or maybe even using the movie to test how people react to certain things so that they can improve for their next Avenger movie.

Still it was a good movie and pretty funny. Louise is hilarious, he better show up in another Marvel movie!
I liked Antman and I love Guardians of the galaxy.

Søren

Antman is hands-down, the funniest Marvel movie I've ever seen.

I'm retired from the forum

Eulaliaaa!

I thought it was funny too  :P
"No, I wasn't stealing anything! I was returning something I stole - I mean...."  ;D
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Søren

"Baskin Robins don't play."
-Dave
"I'm in the system?!" "You in the system!" "The system?!?!" -Luis and Dave

I'm retired from the forum

Banya

I saw Ant-Man in Turkey, so that's got to be about a month ago now.  It was humourous, because what other direction can they take it? but I can't say I liked it too much, and at this point I'm not overly excited for Scott Lang's re-appearance in Captain America: Civil War.