News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Any Animal?

Started by BrookSkimmer, October 19, 2011, 04:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skalrag of Marshank

Platypuses...Playpi...Platypeople? Well, you know what I mean. ;D
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Muse

Exactly! how do you say it? Still, I like.....
PLATYPUSESESES!
Do not fear the unknown. It cannot hurt you.
What is truly worth fearing is the known.
By Muse

rakkety tam

1 chipmunk
2 skunk
3 groundhog
4 bobcat
5 flying squirrels
6 gerbals
7raccoon
8 woodpecker
9 mongoose
10 dogs

i think thats it my fav ones that i would realy like to see are 2 3 4 5 and 7
rock'n'roll  will survive

25% nerd 25% redneck 25% rocker 25% Redwaller  100% me

If war must come, let it come during my generation, so that my children will know peace

Redwall Musician

They mentioned a dog in the first Redwall book.  ;)

I also think a honey badger would be cool!
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Nightfire

@BrookSkimmer, the goose appeared in High Rhulain. Brontalis the goose, if I rember correctly. He was always arguing with Pandion.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: James Gryphon on October 20, 2011, 01:58:14 PM
How about a mongoose?

It would be either a new addition to the good rosters, or a heroic, skilled vermin; like Gulo, but much brighter. Ideally they would be recognized as known adder-killers.

It even almost fits, if we're counting Commonwealth countries, since there are some species in India.

It's funny, I have a notebook of characters I made a while ago and one of them is a mongoose, I also have a wild boar as the warlord. He was awesome 8)

I also think a bunch of whales should destroy a bunch of boats... Just saying...
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Skalrag of Marshank

Possums and chipmunks.
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Nightfire

Oh, by the way, speaking of beasties. I found out that a weasel is livng in our barn. I named him Ferahgo. ;D

And I would have loved to see actual wolves in Redwall, not just the dead skin of one and a mention in Taggerung.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Redwall Musician

Quote from: Nightfire on October 23, 2011, 10:31:36 PM
And I would have loved to see actual wolves in Redwall, not just the dead skin of one and a mention in Taggerung.
You mean The Bellmaker.  ;) Taggerung had the Juska.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

DanielofRedwall

Wolves seem to be a popular choice with fans, but I seriousy think they would not work. I'm happy for them only to be mentioned.

First of all, would they be good or bad? Wolves are a noble, intelligent breed and they live by a strict code. Vermin don't live by any code, and wolves are almost too smart to be bad, but then they are also fierce predators and quite savage at times (although not to the same extent that some make them out to be). Also, in folklore and in stories, they are portrayed as sly and evil. Maybe they could be grey characters, but I don't think Brian would have introduced them so they could be grey.

Size would also be difficult, wolves are HUGE compared to the other animals in Redwall. Even scaling them down to the size of a badger wouldn't be right, they would have to be at least half the size of a badger again. And when badgers tower over the other animals, imagine the size difference when wolves are compared to the other animals!

Finally, wolves are pack animals and live in groups. For wolves to work in Redwall, they would need to walk in packs, and can you imagine 10 huge wolves, bigger then badgers, all moving with each other?

Wolves also don't live in the UK (they used to, though), and Brian prefered UK animals in his stories.

For more reasons, see "Superstripe the Unrealistic" on Project S.L.A.G.A.R. One of the chapters had wolves in them, and it explains why they wouldn't work.
Received mostly negative reviews.

rakkety tam

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on October 24, 2011, 01:08:57 AM
Wolves seem to be a popular choice with fans, but I seriousy think they would not work. I'm happy for gem only to be mentioned.

First of all, would they be good or bad? Wolves are a noble, intelligent breed and they live by a strict code. Vermin don't live by any code, and wolves are almostalmost too smart to be bad, but then they are also fierce predators and quite savage at times (although not to the same extent that some make them out to be). In folklore, they are portrayed as sly and evil. Maybe they could be grey characters, but I don't think Brian would have introduced them so they could be grey.

Size would also be difficult, wolves are HUGE compared to the other animals in Redwall. Even scaling them down to the size of a badger wouldn't be right, they would have to be at least half the size of a badger again. And when badgers tower over the other animals, imagine the size difference when wolves are compared to the other animals!

Finally, wolves are pack animals and live in groups. For wolves to work in Redwall, they would need to walk in packs, and can you imagine 10 huge wolves, bigger then badgers, all moving with each other?

For more reasons, see "Superstripe the Unrealistic" on Project S.L.A.G.A.R. One of the chapters had wolves in them, and it explains Wh they wouldn't work.
actualy wolverines are a litgtle bigger than wolves so it has basicly been done the size any way
rock'n'roll  will survive

25% nerd 25% redneck 25% rocker 25% Redwaller  100% me

If war must come, let it come during my generation, so that my children will know peace

DanielofRedwall

Actually, wolverines are, on average, 12-18 inches (30-45cm) in height to the shoulder, about the size of a medium dog, while grey wolves are, on average, 32-34 inches (80-85cm) to the shoulder, so wolves are actually quite a bit bigger then wolverines.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Tiria Wildlough

Yes! Platypuses! ;D
'Part from that, I can't think of anything else. :-[
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Nightfire

Quote from: Redwall Musician on October 24, 2011, 12:21:34 AM
Quote from: Nightfire on October 23, 2011, 10:31:36 PM
You mean The Bellmaker.  ;) Taggerung had the Juska.

I guess. *shrug*

Log-a-Log

Quote from: Muse on October 21, 2011, 10:02:20 PM
I totally see Mongeese? as improved ferrets or weasels.
Platypuseses!
I agree. Mongooses would be perfect to fit the Redwall series, especially against snakes.
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart