News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Tournament Scheduling

Started by James Gryphon, September 14, 2016, 11:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gryphon

After consulting our other judges, we've decided the best next step in getting this thing on the road would be to ask you, the players, how your schedules are likely to be for the foreseeable future, and what works for you as far as a timeline.

Also, we need to determine how large we want this tournament to be. I can either split you up into two divisions, or keep you in one for a massive round robin. If we do the former, everyone will write in 4 duels (3 one-on-one, and 1 group melee), and the two finalists will have one extra; a total of 15 battles in all. If the latter, everyone will write in 7 individual duels, for a total of 28 in the round robin, plus the group melee and final duel, for a total of 30 in all.

I would really like to have a lot more stories from this tournament, but at the same time, that necessarily means twice the time investment from each of y'all. You would have to decide whether you think it's worth it, and if you can come up with enough material to work with in the amount of time you'll have.

If we go with divisions, I'm thinking that we might could do one duel a week. That would wrap the body of the tournament up in four weeks (one month), plus one last week for the final duel to decide the winner. If we kept everyone in one division, we could do perhaps two duels over a two-week period; that would give us an eight week tournament for the round robin and group melee, with one extra week for the final duel, a total of nine weeks in all.

Let me know what y'all think.
« Subject to editing »

Delthion

I don't really care about the divisions, but I will be gone this Saturday.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

LT Sandpaw

I'd really like to do the massive round robin where everyone gets to fight everyone else. If it proves to be too much then we can then split everyone into divisions later.

I think we'd be able to handle it, as long as everyone continues to participate and no complications come up.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Hickory

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on September 14, 2016, 11:28:07 PM
I'd really like to do the massive round robin where everyone gets to fight everyone else. If it proves to be too much then we can then split everyone into divisions later.

I think we'd be able to handle it, as long as everyone continues to participate and no complications come up.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Fatch of Southsward

*Cracks Knuckles*

I don't have time for extra duels, but I've decided I don't need sleep anymore. Let's go for the Mucho Grande Round robin! (That means the big one!)

I'm ready to gooooo! Letsssss Fiiiiiightttt! *bounces back and forth like I'm boxing*
~ The best way to pay for a happy moment is to enjoy it ~

Cornflower MM

A duel a week? Oh, dear. Umm.  . . . I could try it, I suppose, but we wouldn't get very far.

Quote from: Fatch of Southsward on September 15, 2016, 05:03:28 AM
I don't have time for extra duels, but I've decided I don't need sleep anymore.

*Laughs* Right?

Captain Tammo

I actually prefer the divisions setup. It will make it easier for me since I don't have very much downtime. Weekends are the best time for me to come on and duel!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Ashleg

Don't care long as I'm not left out.

James Gryphon

I'm thinking we could start with a basic division plan, and see how we're doing part of the way through that. If y'all are overworked, we can go from there on to the group melees and last duel; if you're itching for more, we can continue with the round robin and schedule duels between the players who hadn't seen each other yet.

Back to time scheduling -- instead of arranging specific duels for specific periods of time, we could simply give y'all the total time allotment, say four weeks for three duels, and let you work out with each other what duels you want to do when.
« Subject to editing »

Fatch of Southsward

I, personally, would like to be randomly set up with opponents on a schedule. It seems more fair to everyone and lets us know what duels we will fight well in advance.

That's just me though.

James Gryphon

How about this -- start with two weeks for two duels, and then see where we're at at the end of that time period? I just realized we've spent nearly three weeks talking about this, and it seems silly to spend as much time scheduling the duels as actually having them. ;)
« Subject to editing »

Captain Tammo

Sounds good, James.

Who wants to knock out a couple duels this weekend?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Fatch of Southsward

James Gryphon

I've fallen off the wagon with this a little bit lately. All I can say is that I'm sorry, and I'll try to set some time aside soon to get my judging standard information and the first part of the dueling schedule up.
« Subject to editing »

Fatch of Southsward

How dare you spend time living your own life while simultaneously revamping the entire forum by yourself while also hosting 90% of the forum events and games. These semi late response is just unacceptable!

I'm completely kidding. There's no rush. No deadlines. Everything's cool.  :D