OOC: The Drums of Castle Marl

Started by Wylder Treejumper, February 07, 2023, 07:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wylder Treejumper

Long generations and many have passed since the last Marlfox sat on the throne of their ancestral kingdom. As the bones of High Queen Silth and all her brood mingled themselves with the sandy bottom of the Inland Sea, the realm they left behind prospered. Under the strong talon of Laird Megraw, the slave pens were torn to the ground and the foundations of a new city laid. Freetown would become the capital of a fledgling kingdom, which over the succeeding seasons grew to encompass the lands around the Sea and beyond. Its founding now merely a distant legend, practically the only vestige of its former style is the great Castle Marl. Towering over Megraw Isle and dominating the Freetown vista, the great fortress that now serves as the Laird's Eyrie stands as a tribute to the ambition of its original builders.

Yet all is not well in the Lairdship of the Inland Sea. Laird Hamish lies ailing in his eyrie, his strength failing at the end of his days. His son, Malcolm, cares neither for the kingdom nor his father, and spends his days on long journeys hunting abroad. And, somewhere to the southwest, the drums are sounding for war. A legend is coming to claim his birthright; his drums will sound over Castle Marl!

THE SETTING

The Lairdship of the Inland Sea boasts two principal cities: Freetown, the capital, and Riverham, the main urban and commercial center. Various other towns and hamlets are spread across its domain on the fertile shores of the Inland Sea, and boats ply the waters of the vast lake constantly, taking commerce and passengers from one place to another.

Freetown, the capital, is a beautiful- if somewhat austere- city built of grey stone quarried from the cliffs of Megraw Isle. While its boulevards are lined with trees and flowerbeds, the rocky soil makes it a poor place for agriculture, and so it is highly dependent on the surrounding countryside for foodstuffs, except for fish, which it has in abundance. Its citizens are skilled artisans, and it is the center of learning for the kingdom, boasting a vast Gothic library and a small university. Gaggles of students in brightly colored tunics and groups of tradesman leaving the guild halls are common sights on the city streets. The administration of the realm is carried out almost exclusively here, and thus it is the home of many emissaries and officials. Most importantly, it is the seat of the Lairdship, and his court and guard are quartered in Castle Marl above the city.

Riverham is a much more lively place than Freetown. Built originally as a trading post for river otters and Guosim to take goods to Freetown, it has since become the largest city in the Lairdship. The vast majority of lakeshore commerce passes through its sprawling docks eventually, whether going to Freetown or leaving landwise in wagon trains or caravans for other realms. The merchants quarter in the city center presents one of the more cheerful sights, with its quaint log construction and warmly-lit windows, and the green outskirts of the city make for beautiful gardens and pleasant walking. Nevertheless, the city has a rougher side. Blacksmiths and dockhands share uneasy company in the Riverham's many taverns, and the waterfront breeze carries with it the odor of grime and vice.

NOTABLE FACTIONS

The Laird's Guard: Made up of water rats, descendants of the old soldiery of the Marlfox hordes, most of whom have since adopted a slight highland twang in homage to their rightful liege. The Laird's Guard works hard to preserve aflame what they see as the founding ideals of the realm- even if, at times, they comes into conflict with the whims of the Lairds themselves. Led by Commander Rafe Brintspar.

Malcolm's Retainers: A motley collection of ambitious water rat soldiers, palace courtesans, useless hangers-on, idle nobleman's sons, and astute guildmasters, Malcolm's followers consist of all those hoping to take advantage of his succession- whether that be for personal enrichment, greater liberty, or more sinister intentions.

Riverham Thieves' Guild: The sturdy warehouses and fat merchants of the Inland Sea yield rich rewards to those who can put their paws in the right places.

THE ENEMY

Falmir Shadowbane, Conquerer of Mertia, is coming to reclaim his inheritance. A deceptively small and quiet fox of blue-grey fur, Falmir's skills far surpass the mere skullduggery of the last Marlfoxes to possess and lose Castle Marl. Cold and calculating, he disdains the personal approach for a strategic one. If his enemies see him alive at all, it is only once it is already too late.

CHARACTER SHEET

Name:
Race:
Clothing:
Description:
Bio:

I saw there was some interest in reviving the old RP tradition and thought I would take a crack at it. Let's see what adventures await us in the legendary realm of the Marlfoxes!
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Kade Rivok

Man, I'd like to do something like this, I'm just not confident that I'd have to time to provide good posts on the regular.

I guess our characters would need to be warriors or have some way to contribute to the fight, right?
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Wylder Treejumper

Quote from: Kade Rivok on February 07, 2023, 05:22:44 PMMan, I'd like to do something like this, I'm just not confident that I'd have to time to provide good posts on the regular.

I guess our characters would need to be warriors or have some way to contribute to the fight, right?
War happens to allbeasts, soldiers and civilians alike.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Kade Rivok

Well of course, but the framing of Falmir being "The Enemy" to me implies that the end goal is to deal with him somehow.  It rings of being a main quest objective, but maybe that's just my inner gamer coming out.

So, if that were to be the case, we'll need a char that can do something to contribute, or at least can grow into a beast that can contribute.
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Wylder Treejumper

True, Falmir is going to come and the plot will largely deal with fighting him. However, part of the fun might well be taking a civilian character and turning them into a contributor despite them having no background for it, as happens often enough in wartime. And that contribution needn't be direct combat.
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

Kade Rivok

Yeah yeah, for sure.  Just clarifying the objective, so to speak.
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

MathLuk

What sort of characters do you feel like is needed?
By what strange trick of fate do our paths cross anew?

Link to the Redwall Readership Restorers: https://discord.gg/frYkSzE