News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Favorite book about Martin

Started by Cheesethief, October 31, 2011, 11:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favorite book about Martin

Mossflower
19 (41.3%)
Martin the Warrior
21 (45.7%)
Legend of Luke
6 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Cheesethief

What is your favorite book about the original Martin? Mine is personally Mossflower because of the great plot, characters (Dinny, gonff). I also like MTW because of the battles. All three are near the top of my favorite Redwall books in general.

Lutra

There might be a topic like this already,  but I vote for Martin the Warrior because it gives us great background into the warrior of Redwall.  With that you learn how he became a founder of peace and why he changed.  Without this great story, you actually know very little about Martin.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Skipper

well i would say 1.Mossflower 2.Legend of Luke 3.Martin the Warrior, i like them all because they have great characters and storylines

Cheesethief

Quote from: Skipper on November 01, 2011, 08:26:35 PM
well i would say 1.Mossflower 2.Legend of Luke 3.Martin the Warrior, i like them all because they have great characters and storylines
yeah they are all above average redwall books. Luke shouldve been more than just 1/2 his own book, though.

Log-a-Log

I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Cheesethief

Captain Tammo

The legend of Luke is my personal favorite, however, it's not really about Martin. Hence, the legend of Luke
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Skipper

yes but we're talking about books with martin the 1st in

Cheesethief

Quote from: Captain Tammo on November 02, 2011, 01:10:25 AM
The legend of Luke is my personal favorite, however, it's not really about Martin. Hence, the legend of Luke
are you going to vote for it then? Legend of Luke still has 0 votes.

Firewall978

Honestly Mossflower was my favorite, due to the fact that it tells you how martin came to mossflower and how he became one of the Founders of Redwall. Plus, it introduced one of my favorite Characters....  Gonff.

Flandor

Martin the Warrior.  Mossflower is a wonderful story with great characters but Martin the Warrior had so much sadness and heroism, and an amazing final battle.  The slaves finding freedom, Felldoh's death, the Fur and Freedom Fighters' last stand, Rose, Martin finally defeating Badrang and making him beg for his life...

Not to mention all the funny bits, like Clogg, or the part with the flurgy twinj :)
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Firewall978

Honestly, I had forgotten that Felldoh Dies untill after I recently re-watched the TV series. I still think that that part was somewhat sad, but Rose dying is more sad to me since I had read Mossflower and The legend of Luke before I read Martin the warrior, so I had gotten to love Martin as a character and seeing (or reading) him getting his heart broken and then his reaction to her death is just really sad to me. For some reason I had a feeling something was going to happen to her, since she is not in Mossflower or anything. But it was just sad, and I do not like being sad, and so that is why Mossflower is my favorite book about Martin; and not Martin the Warrior.

Taggerung The Otter

ah be'hm thinkin' Mossflower is, wot wot:

MOSSFLOWER ALL THA WAY
For GOD so loved the world he gave his only begotton SON so that whoever belived in him would not parish but live eternal life.

Oh yeah...buitiful verse... :D

Folgrimeo

Hmm, I voted but forgot to post. I voted for "Martin the Warrior". He was a brash young fighter which made him more interesting than the usual mature righteous hero, and he had a great relationship with Rose. I guess I think of Martin as a tragic character, he won but at a great cost. The Martin in "Mossflower" was more of a typical hero and more restrained... not something I remember as much. I did like how in "Legend of Luke" he was bothered by his past, bringing up that tragic quality again, but... the book wasn't really about Martin, it was more about Luke, and what we saw of Martin wasn't that much different than he was in "Mossflower" (mainly in that he was making playful banter with Gonff. It's good, but Martin shines more when he's tortured or angry).

Trisscar95

My favorit is Mossflower because we are first introduced to Martin in it and we see things how he see's them. Not from a slaves point of view or a depressed mouses point. We get to see it from a warrior set on revenge point of view.
'Twixt leaning ash and poison gold,
Trisscar Swordmaid, look, behold,
What is sought by everyone.
Now! Ere high noon light moves on.'