News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Most Hares in the Long Patrol

Started by Keva Strongbow, April 27, 2019, 02:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kolman

quite possibly but still we only get snapshots of the redwall world so we can only surmise what everything else is
For those we cherish we die in glory.

Jack the Quick

My point was, it was mostly a one of a kind. I don't believe that there were many others like it.
'I ate the sharpest tool in the shed'

"Inconceivable!" ~Vizzini, The Princess Bride

"Art is never complete, only abandoned," ~Leonardo da Vinci

Long live the RRR!!

Kolman

Corporal Rubbadub

in Taggerung, Russano came to Redwall with 500 hares, but it doesn't say how much he left behind. In the long patrol, in the book it says cregga took 500 and left 500 at salamadastron.

shisteer of nothing much

No, Lord Russano had a thousand hares in Taggerung.
"Through the massive dustcloud emerged a giant Badger Lord at the head of a thousand fighting hares." (Page 429 of Taggerung)
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

clunylooney

Quote from: Corporal Rubbadub on May 07, 2020, 06:16:23 PM
in Taggerung, Russano came to Redwall with 500 hares, but it doesn't say how much he left behind. In the long patrol, in the book it says cregga took 500 and left 500 at salamadastron.
Russano the Wise had 1000 Long Patrol Hares when he came to Redwall Abbey which means he had even more at Salamandastron.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Wylder Treejumper

The size of the Long Patrol definitely seems to fluctuate over the course of the books. It starts out with just a tiny handful of hares, and grows to well over a thousand by The Long Patrol/Taggerung. It seems that the patrol really drew strength as an institution, and that the Badger Lords were aggressive in pressing their claim to the sovereignty of all hares- an interesting claim that is put into strong relief by Lord Brocktree. The centralization of power in the paws of the Badger Lords apparently drew and strengthened Salamandastron as a fortress as well as the Patrol as an institution, as in the later books we always see large numbers of hares (although they often seem to be more spread out through the territory than concentrated as wee see in the most dramatic cases).
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Kolman

indeed this actually resemble early English history as the King drew and centralized the military it strengthened and was spread out more to afford more protection. since Brian Jacques was English it makes sense he drew from that to portray the Long Patrol and the Badger Lords.

Lucifer656

The most Hares are from Long Patrol/Taggarung, where they're both around one thousand.

clunylooney

Quote from: Lucifer656 on May 27, 2020, 07:14:39 AM
The most Hares are from Long Patrol/Taggarung, where they're both around one thousand.
In The Long Patrol, Cregga Rose Eyes has 1000 hares. She brings 500 with her and leaves 500 at salamandastron.
In Taggerung, Russano the Wise brings 1000 hares to redwall, meaning he had even more at salamandastron to guard it.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me