Did the magic of Redwall "die away" for you?

Started by Ungatt Trunn, May 06, 2019, 06:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delthion

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Sebias of Redwall

You should maybe try reserving them at a library. That's what I did.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

MathLuk

Quote from: Sebias of Redwall on May 07, 2019, 03:38:21 AM
That's the truth. Do you write poetry? That was good.  :)
The Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan.
By what strange trick of fate do our paths cross anew?

Link to the Redwall Readership Restorers: https://discord.gg/frYkSzE

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: MathLuk on May 07, 2019, 03:49:26 AM
The Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan.
At first I thought that you meant that you wrote that.  :P

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

MathLuk

Sebias of Redwall

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

MeadowR

I understand, Ungatt. I didn't start reading the books quite as young as a lot of people here, so they were never particularly magical books for me; however I clearly had a like for them. A few years later I had stopped reading them and hadn't completed my collection. Then a few years into my twenties I picked them up again and decided to finally complete my collection and joined this forum, which got me back into it again to an extent. As you say, getting older the formulaic plots are harder to ignore, and you're almost gagging for more greyness to the characters, yet I still feel the book series has something that bit more special than so many other Young Adult series. When I reread them, in between all the 'grown up' books I read, I still get an amount of enjoyable from them.

You may find yourself picking them up again in your twenties and appreciating them once again, with the understanding that you just won't ever get quite the magical feeling as you first did. :)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: MeadowR on May 08, 2019, 02:11:17 PM
You may find yourself picking them up again in your twenties and appreciating them once again, with the understanding that you just won't ever get quite the magical feeling as you first did. :)
That's exactly where I am at right now. I am currently re-reading Mossflower, and I definitely find myself falling in love with the world once again, but I don't think anything can compare of my love for it from about the ages of 9-13.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on May 08, 2019, 02:45:06 PM
That's exactly where I am at right now. I am currently re-reading Mossflower, and I definitely find myself falling in love with the world once again, but I don't think anything can compare of my love for it from about the ages of 9-13.
That's pretty accurate for me as well. (Though my love for Redwall is still pretty strong because of reading/writing fanfics)

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

The Grey Coincidence

The magic never 'died' for me. It kind of went to sleep, and then came back with force and then I started writing for Redwall and then that lead me here...
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

One-Eye the wildcat

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on May 06, 2019, 06:52:48 PM

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? Has Redwall lost it's "magical touch" as you've grown older? Not asking if/saying that it became bad. Just asking if it wasn't the same for you as the years progressed...

No, redwall is still awesome.
"What will become of us? Where will we go, we who wander this vast wasteland in search of our better selves?"

"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos."
Long live the RRR!!

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: The Grey Coincidence on May 08, 2019, 06:46:10 PM
The magic never 'died' for me. It kind of went to sleep, and then came back with force and then I started writing for Redwall and then that lead me here...

Quote from: One-Eye the wildcat on May 08, 2019, 09:08:43 PM
Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on May 06, 2019, 06:52:48 PM

No, redwall is still awesome.

^^^^ What they said.

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

MathLuk

Redwall is still nascent for me. So many more books to read (and write)...

Hazelsqueak

My mom read the books to me out loud when I was a dibbun. They were a lot more magical and exciting back then (just like everything). Now as a biggun, I'm rereading the series and I actually think it is fun to see the stories in a different light. The magic is still there, just more hidden. You have to concentrate a bit harder to get those feelings back.

So, no, the magic didn't die away for me. I won't let it. :)