News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Chronology

Started by daskar666, June 24, 2011, 05:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daskar666

Well, I just finished Loamhedge, and one question I have is how do we know it happened after Triss and not before. There were no references to the previous book whatsoever, and I don't see how it is possible to determine when it happened other than sometime after Taggerung.

Osu

Yeah, after Loamhedge the books stop making reference to any specific chronological order. Sometimes they'll refer back to Martin and Gonff's time, but for the most part you can read every novel hereafter in whichever order you like.

It kind of bothered me at first, haha. I was used to mentally mapping out what was happening based on whatever shared relationships the characters had with the previous novel. XD
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Matthias720

In all my searching on the internet, I have never seen a proper explanation of why this is.  That being said, I think this is one of those "we don't have a lot of information, so we just use the publishing order" things. *shrugs*

Taggerung_of_Redwall

They're certain chronolgogic order based on mahor events.

Example being after the creation of the Library in High Rhulain, it is mentioned in all future books published.
Absence/presence of such features determines they are both next in chornological/publication order.

Taggerung, published just before Triss, was the last sequel. Pretty much random fact there.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Osu

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on June 25, 2011, 10:30:19 PM
They're certain chronolgogic order based on mahor events.

Example being after the creation of the Library in High Rhulain, it is mentioned in all future books published.
Absence/presence of such features determines they are both next in chornological/publication order.
Right, there're things like that, too. As another example, we know all the later books can't take place before the events of Redwall because Martin's sword has been found.

I think Jacques wanted to keep every book in the series completely original - they all stand on their own, too, so a reader new to the series wouldn't have any kind of problem keeping track of what was going on.

daskar666

There are some references to Taggerung in Triss, but nothing in Loamhedge is referencing to Triss.
I preferred when they referenced to the previous book, because it makes it seem like more of a continuous story.

Osu

Quote from: daskar666 on June 26, 2011, 05:55:59 PM
There are some references to Taggerung in Triss, but nothing in Loamhedge is referencing to Triss.
I preferred when they referenced to the previous book, because it makes it seem like more of a continuous story.
Agreed! Buuuut they're still a good read and you get used to it after a while. ;D

Galedeep

I think that is part of the charm of the books, it doesn't matter what point of time your at just the tale that's being told at the moment.

Redwall Musician

Loamhedge has refers to Mattimeo, so they must come after one another. Though they don't go in a specific order after Taggerung, they still have things that refer to the ones before.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

AbbotPlumble

This was a question of mine too.  I did a search and in the wikipedia section for Redwall (not the Redwall Wiki) I found a chronological order as opposed to the numerical publishing order.  It so far (as I tried reading them according to the list) has linked up pretty well. 

AbbotPlumble

OH!  Matthias720 actually posts this list in the general information.  Silly me!

sabretache5611

right about the chronology.  we just assume the rest of the books come after taggerung or were published in chronological order.

(this is random)...im so sad that Jacques never got to write about what happened to Mariel and Dandin (don't forget Bowly)...WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM!!!!! its like they vanished....
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

Log-a-Log

I was always hoping he would write a book on the badger lords before Lord Brocktree
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

martins#1fan

Thats probably  why he wrote Lord Brocktree
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Redwall is infinite. There's enough about that beloved (on my part) universe forever
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away