News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Which book should I read next?

Started by Luftwaffles, June 21, 2020, 08:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luftwaffles

I have been slowly trying to claw my way back into the series (like I said, quarantine does fun things to people :P) but I'm kind of stuck deciding which book to read next, after having finished Mossflower... and the general consensus seems to be that it doesn't really matter which order you read the books in after the original Redwall and the aforementioned Mossflower.

So... which one should be next? I have heard wonderful things about both Bellmaker and Outcast, but I'd like to hear y'all's expert opinions before committing to any of them.

Thanks a lot :)
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Sailears

It's a tough one - sometimes trying to slog through chronologically can be tedious, but at the same time I wouldn't read eg Bellmaker without reading Mariel beforehand.

Probably difficult to read MtW after Mossflower, but maybe fun to read Legend of Luke straight after.

I'd go Legend of Luke, and then Outcast to conclude Bella's story. Then maybe double back to Lord Brocktree and Martin, and then go for Mariel onwards. :)

But really depends which ones you find fun and what mood you're in.
My ears, how are you, wot!

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Sailears on June 21, 2020, 05:36:10 PM
It's a tough one - sometimes trying to slog through chronologically can be tedious, but at the same time I wouldn't read eg Bellmaker without reading Mariel beforehand.

Probably difficult to read MtW after Mossflower, but maybe fun to read Legend of Luke straight after.

I'd go Legend of Luke, and then Outcast to conclude Bella's story. Then maybe double back to Lord Brocktree and Martin, and then go for Mariel onwards. :)

I think I'll do just that.

Thanks a lot, man :)

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

lass of something much

Quote from: Luftwaffles on June 21, 2020, 08:43:53 AM
I have been slowly trying to claw my way back into the series (like I said, quarantine does fun things to people :P) but I'm kind of stuck deciding which book to read next, after having finished Mossflower... and the general consensus seems to be that it doesn't really matter which order you read the books in after the original Redwall and the aforementioned Mossflower.

So... which one should be next? I have heard wonderful things about both Bellmaker and Outcast, but I'd like to hear y'all's expert opinions before committing to any of them.

There're some books that go together like a mini series, and I'm pretty sure the Martin books (Martin the warrior, Mossflower and Legend of Luke) are like that, could be very wrong though :P
𝓛𝓪𝓼𝓼𝓲𝓮 𝓕𝓲𝓼𝓱

Luftwaffles

Quote from: lass of something much on June 21, 2020, 10:06:04 PM
Quote from: Luftwaffles on June 21, 2020, 08:43:53 AM

There're some books that go together like a mini series, and I'm pretty sure the Martin books (Martin the warrior, Mossflower and Legend of Luke) are like that, could be very wrong though :P

Seems quite alright. Would you recommend them?

lass of something much

Obviously, it's Redwall! ;)
I really loved all of those ones
They're good. Mossflower is my favorite though..
𝓛𝓪𝓼𝓼𝓲𝓮 𝓕𝓲𝓼𝓱

Luftwaffles

Thanks a lot, Lass.

I think I'm more interested on Bella's story for the time being, though :)

DanielofRedwall

I would personally vouch for Mariel of Redwall + The Bellmaker, Mariel and Dandin are a great dynamic duo in the style of Martin and Gonff. That said, if you haven't read Martin the Warrior yet, definitely go with that, it has one of my favourite story lines. In fact, just follow publication order as close as you can might be my new recommendation. :P
Received mostly negative reviews.

Luftwaffles

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on June 22, 2020, 04:23:20 AM
I would personally vouch for Mariel of Redwall + The Bellmaker, Mariel and Dandin are a great dynamic duo in the style of Martin and Gonff. That said, if you haven't read Martin the Warrior yet, definitely go with that, it has one of my favourite story lines. In fact, just follow publication order as close as you can might be my new recommendation. :P

I'm very intrigued by that "dynamic duo" you mentioned.

Thanks, Daniel :)

MeadowR

Ermmm, Lord Brocktree. Even though you won't read it next now. :D Don't leave it too long before you get to that one, it being chronologically the first.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Sebias of Redwall

Just out of curiosity, how many of them have you read already?
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Sebias of Redwall on June 22, 2020, 04:54:31 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many of them have you read already?

Just Redwall and Mossflower.

@MeadowR: Dang!

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: Sailears on June 21, 2020, 05:36:10 PM

In that case, I'd second this^
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Captain Tammo

I'm going to deviate a bit from the crowd on this one. I might be a smidge biased, but I think The Long Patrol is the way to go. It's more of standalone, but it also takes a kind of unique approach on the so-called 'Redwall formula': a little less about one main protagonist and their adventure, and more about the Long Patrol as a whole. Not to mention it's got one of the greatest battles in the series! If it's not next on your list, you should at least bump it up a few slots!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

MeadowR

^ I would agree that this is another you could read soon. :D As I have said probably many times before, The Long Patrol was the first - or second - of the Redwall books I read and was a great start to the series, along with Lord Brocktree. :)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014