News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

water

Started by Taggerung The Otter, December 06, 2011, 06:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taggerung The Otter

do you notice that in Redwall they almost never drink water
For GOD so loved the world he gave his only begotton SON so that whoever belived in him would not parish but live eternal life.

Oh yeah...buitiful verse... :D

Firehawke

That is kind of strange.  Maybe it's a nod to the fact that in olden days water wasn't used that much as a drink because it wasn't always clean.
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

Taggerung The Otter

For GOD so loved the world he gave his only begotton SON so that whoever belived in him would not parish but live eternal life.

Oh yeah...buitiful verse... :D

Coobreedan

In Mattimeo the slaves have canteens full of water.
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Dotti

I think it's mentioned more on long quests and such.  But back in the abbey....why would you drink water when you could drink October Ale??? Or strawberry cordial??? Or greensap milk, or elderberry wine, or anything else in the cellars?
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

Blademaster

Water is poor and easy to get so in redwall they prefer more luxurious drinks. ;D
Cluny-"Shut up!" Cheesethief-"Shutting up chief."

Lutra

I was going to say, maybe water is just too common for Redwall.  Even on long journeys when water would be great for the body, you see the critters downing mint tea or burdock cordial.  Never water.  Not even the vermin.  They have their elderberry wine or seaweed grog or whatever it is those guys drink.  That lowly water must never be drank anywhere in Redwall.  :P
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Tiria Wildlough

Hmmm...interesting. I can't remember any Redwaller drinking water inside of Redwall. ???
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Skipper

what would you do, drink water or drink any of the famous redwalls drinks, i think water is alast resort, and in mattimeo they give matti and his fellow slaves water because its simple, the good stuff is for slagar and his followers and the water is barely mentioned as dirty

Coobreedan

Bah. What's wrong with it?
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Captain Tammo

I think it's because Brian Jacques wanted to be original. And because back then, water wasn't as safe to drink and you were more prone to get disease from it.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Lutra

Quote from: Captain Tammo on December 07, 2011, 09:29:55 PM
I think it's because Brian Jacques wanted to be original. And because back then, water wasn't as safe to drink and you were more prone to get disease from it.

True, but you still need water to make these drinks in most cases. ;)  So that really isn't an answer/excuse why water is never drank.  Obviously the water is good enough to make the drinks talked about.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

ShaneBro

Water is very necessary for our life. It is not possible for us live life without water. It is the first need which we have to fulfill for making our life better. If there is no water then there it no life.

Bragoon

In Outcast of Redwall, Friar Bunfold said he often drank barley-water when he was in the kitchen.  It was the how Veil had planned to poison him.
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Redwallfan7

Of course they don't, water is good but it's boring.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers