Happy Brian Jacques Day!

Started by Tiria Wildlough, February 05, 2012, 04:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiria Wildlough

Happy Brian Jacques Day, Redwall fans! Today we can think about Redwall, talk about it, (not like we haven't been) and celebrate! Hooray! ;D
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

DanielofRedwall

Brian Jacques Day. The first anniversary of his tragic death which left fans heartbroken. I remember my reaction when I heard the news about a week later.

First, it was disbelief. I thought they were joking. But then, this was the Redwall Wiki, what reason would they have to lie?

Next came the sadness. I simply went to my room and cried. It was a long ambition of mine to meet him in person and tell him what he meant to me. I cried and cried. I went in the pool to try cheer myself up, of course it didn't work. I didn't have much dinner, and I was surprised I managed to eat anything at all. The next day at school I was so depressed and I couldn't concerntrate.

Next came the acceptance and a new goal: Read every book in Redwall again and, when I'm old enough, travel to Liverpool and see where he lived, where Redwall began and where he was buried. I still have this goal.

What am I doing to celebrate? Cooking from the Redwall Cookbook. As I'm typing this I'm sipping October Ale. I've also made scones. Here are photos of both.

Received mostly negative reviews.

Tiria Wildlough

Aye, I agree with you. I only found out about Redwall around the time he died, and it didn't mean so much to me then.
Nearly a year later, I finished The Rogue Crew, which meant I finished all the Redwall books. I was stricken. I was really sad, and cried for a while, then I got over it.
Brian Jacques was an intelligent man, and an excellent author. A lot of people are sad because there will not be any more books. But think of all those people who knew him as a bus driver, an actor, or a stand-up comedian. Think about those who knew him as a person. Wouldn't it be much worse for them?
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

eualaia

my personel celebration is a read till i pass out from tiredness reading palooza i have gone 2 days and still runnin
wolves will slay whoever they want to.....*growl* "AGHH''

Skipper

i was really upset when he died, like daniel said i would have liked to met him in person

Lily

I had also hoped he'd come to Australia some day so I'd get to meet him and tell him how much his books meant to me, even as an adult. :( Ah well, may his memory live on forever!

Daniel, those scones look amazing...

Robert

we do not  ever forget it Brian Jacques. Every day I think about the adventures of mossflower. I made some drawings with characters and sometimes I write some short stories ... as upset all day when I heard the death of Brian Jacques
Win For Redwall!!!

Matthias720

I cannot celebrate as much as I would like to, due to homework. However, I will try and take the time to watch the first episode of the tv show.

Also, I started a toasting thread, so stop by and raise a toast to the memory of Brian Jacques.

Ranzo

Daniel, I went through the same thing and hope to visit liverpool too.. I'm so glad that I didn't check redwall.org on the 7th, though, because that's when it was posted and it would have ruined my birthday.. :(
Making redwall food sounds like an excellent way to celebrate, but I'm going to read his books as much as I can.
It's strange that just his readers, who do not know him personally, can be so affected by his death... but he poured himself into his books, and by reading them we grow to know him. I love that about books. The power of words is awing. It is good to know he, in a way, lives on through his books.

redwallgurl

Happy Brian JAcques day. I am determined to to visit Liverpool to and was hoping that google was going to say something like 1 year aniversary but they didn't. O well.
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

February 19th, I learned of his passing. I intend to do the same today as I did that night, read one of my favorite tales of Redwall, Mossflower.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Lady_Gwalia

I haven't really thought about Redwall for weeks. But a few hours ago I had a random desire to go online and try to buy the rest of the Redwall books that I don't have. Then I realized that it was February. And today is the anniversary of his death. I am so grateful that I remembered and didn't forget the 1st anniversary of my greatest hero's death.
I found out about his death two days after he died, the 7th. I cried for hours, staying up in my room watching a video of one of his tours and holding my signed copy of Mossflower. I couldn't believe that such an amazing man was gone. But, as much as today is a day of sadness for us, I think we should spend today(and every February 5th following) in celebration of Brian Jacques and the legacy he left behind in all of us. I am so glad I was able to meet him before he died. But for those of you who didn't: He cared for all of you too, even if you never met him. He loved all of his readers and wrote for us. The thing I remember most about meeting Brian Jacques is what he said about writing his books: As long as people keep reading my books, I'll keep writing them. And he did.

(And P.S. It's still the 5th in the US, just realized it wasn't in the UK...... But I'm in the US)
High or the hills, far or the seas,
Fly with the small birds and follow the breeze,
Go with your heart, where would you roam?
Back to the rose colored stones you call home.
~The Pearls of Lutra

redwallgurl

wow you are really lucky i didnt check out this site until like 5 months after his death and i keeped looking at the different sites to make sure it wasnt true but it was

Lady_Gwalia

I did the same thing. I went and checked at least 4 other sites before I believed he was dead :(
High or the hills, far or the seas,
Fly with the small birds and follow the breeze,
Go with your heart, where would you roam?
Back to the rose colored stones you call home.
~The Pearls of Lutra

redwallgurl