News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Completely Surprised

Started by UrthrunTheSwift, April 07, 2012, 08:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UrthrunTheSwift

To everyone within the Abbey forum who reads this:
I just found out that Brian Jacques passed in February of last year and was completely taken by surprise by it. I've been a fan of Mr. Jacques and of Redwall for close to 15 years now, but have sadly fallen out of touch with the series over the last several years and replaced the Redwall books with medical ones. However, a couple of weeks ago I looked at my Redwall collection and decided that it was time to read them again. This morning I was looking to see if Mr. Jacques had any plans for new books or signings scheduled in Florida (I went to every single one he had in my area) and that is when I saw the obituary. It made me remember all the times that my best friend and I wrote letters him letters and sent our drawings once an month; sometimes he would write a letter back saying how much he appreciated our enjoyment of his books and how much he liked our pictures.
I wish I could write him a letter now that I'm "all grown up" and tell him that I still love his books and their positive influence on me: they even helped me decide on what I wanted to be when I grew up! I'm happy that I visited this site again and to see that there are so, so many fans! I don't know what is going to or has happened with the series, but I'm behind a few books these days so once I read all the ones I have, I'm going to go buy the rest that I've missed out on over the last few years! An "Eulaliaaaaa and Redwalllllll!!!!!" to Brian Jacques and my fellow Redwall fans :)
Badger Lord don't care!

Redwallfan7

He was a genius. I mean, fighting, animals, food... I love the Redwall books.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Søren

Urthrun the Swift, you are noble just as Brian Jaques was. :)  As Badger Lord of Salamandastron, I salute you!

I'm retired from the forum

Redwall rules

You are right there all of you I used to come on here nearly every day as a different user then forgot all about it and the moment I make a new user I find out that my faviorite author is died  :(
Yah, go and boil your beak, General Pongo!!!

Said by someone from the book Mattimeo

gorath

My brother, Joseph or dannflor. got probably the last letter written by Brian Jacques before he died. May he rest in peace.
My favorite people: Obi Wan, Satele Shan, Jek 14, Kai, Longtooth, and Kili.

redwallgurl

can you please post the letter
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Dannflower Reguba

"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Taggerung The Otter

For GOD so loved the world he gave his only begotton SON so that whoever belived in him would not parish but live eternal life.

Oh yeah...buitiful verse... :D

WildDoogyPlumm

"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

Dannflower Reguba

Except Bryan Davis and Katherine Lasky. (Dragons in our Midst, The Guardians of Ga'Hoole)

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Nightfire

Dragons in Our Midst couldn't be COMPARED to Redwall, because they're completely different genres. And Guardians of Ga'Hoole, in my opinion, could never measure up to Brian Jacques' style of writing. Kathryn Lasky was a bit erratic in my opinion.

Uthrun, like you, I was totally and utterly shocked when I found out that Mr. Jacques had passed away. I definitely share your sadness. It's still hard to believe that he's gone...seems like only yesterday that he was writing the Rogue Crew.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Dannflower Reguba

NO THEY AREN'T! Both Redwall and Dragons in our Midst were FANTASY, Bryan Davis has said so himself (I heard him say it) They are just about different THINGS.

Ceteruler

Dan, While Redwall and DioM are my two favorite series, and they are both fantasy, I would be hard pressed to compare them.
Humans and dragons in the real world/Hades/Second Eden/Bridgelands with a strong emphasis on faith in God in DioM
vs.
varied animals in Mossflower, with very little religion but a basic good will always triumph over evil philosophy in Redwall.
They are different to the point that only the genre name can be a comparison. (and the first name of the author. :p)

Taggerung The Otter

Quote from: WildDoogyPlumm on April 23, 2012, 11:29:13 AM
Quote from: Taggerung The Otter on April 23, 2012, 12:57:53 AM
i wish he had an aprentice
Nobody could compete with Brian Jacques.

I know but thy could at least learn some techniques
For GOD so loved the world he gave his only begotton SON so that whoever belived in him would not parish but live eternal life.

Oh yeah...buitiful verse... :D

Redwallfan7

Iapplaud the writing in the redwall books, it's really well done
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers