The pearls of Holt Lutra

Started by Lutra, April 22, 2012, 01:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lutra

I thought of this as I finished up re-reading Pearls of Lutra and I pondered this coming upon the ending.  The pearls belonged to the Holt of Lutra, and in the end Grath chose to stay with Inbar and the pearls were not exchanged until after Martin, Durral and the rest, left them far behind on Ruddaring.  What confused me though, is why it was said that the pearls belonged to Tansy.  Technically, the pearls belong to Grath; it would've just been a major inconvenience to get them to her, but that doesn't explain ownership of the pearls.

While I'm certain the result would have been the same--Grath would've probably chucked the pearls into the sea--shouldn't that have been her choice?

Your thoughts?

EDIT - to clean up the post, it was sloppy. :p
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Taggerung The Otter

For GOD so loved the world he gave his only begotton SON so that whoever belived in him would not parish but live eternal life.

Oh yeah...buitiful verse... :D

Skipper

Well I guess grath wasn't really bothered about the pearls, all she wanted was revenge and she got it. Also I belive Martin the 1st spoke to the abbot in his sleep saying the pearls belonged to the abbess -which was Tansy.
Grath might have given the pearls to redwall as a thank you gift, who knows?

Taggerung The Otter

For GOD so loved the world he gave his only begotton SON so that whoever belived in him would not parish but live eternal life.

redwallgurl

well the pearls couldve ended up in the island grath was at but she would probably throw them out too becasue the only brought destruction wouldnt you think and sadness to her
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Taggerung The Otter

Skipper

Taggerung The Otter

Skipper

But he might not have put any thought into this topic

Lutra

I suppose we aren't going to ever know what Mr. Jacques thought of the topic, or why it happened the way it did, I was simply seeing if there was any other perspective on this.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Taggerung The Otter

Osu

That's a good point, Lutra. I'm kind of shocked at myself for not noticing it earlier. Yes, the pearls most certainly belonged to Grath in the end. Perhaps she gave them to Martin and Co. off scene? I can't see Grath letting the last piece of her family just sail away without a word, even if she was in love + revenge hungry.

I agree with Skipper for the most part, I think she just gave them away.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.