News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Redwall repeats?

Started by ravenwyte, April 24, 2012, 12:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ravenwyte

I've noticed, and my friends have noticed, that the storylines in the Redwall books are almost always similar. There's always a hoard of vermin, a hero, and the hero's friend(s). I'm not complaining; I love Redwall; but I wanted to know if this was on purpose or just the way Brian Jacques wrote.
If you can't sleep on an empty stomach, roll over and sleep on your back!
Uh, Cap'n? It might be a good idea to wait to sink the ship until AFTER we've raided it.

Matthias720

I think it was just the Brian Jacques wrote. Think about it like this. When you were really young and your parents told you stories, even though they probably always went the same sort of way, didn't you always wonder if this time it was going to be different? I see it that way with Redwall. No matter how the story ends, it's the journey that matters. And that journey is different every time.

Redwallfan7

Even if it is, I don't mind. The books are still the best writing ever.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Redwall Musician

People I know are always like "I don't like Redwall because all the story lines are the same." or "The hares drive me crazy because they area all the same, only with different names. They all eat a ton and talk funny."

I, for one, think each Redwall story is different. Maybe it's because I notice small things and always imagine feelings behind the words. For me, I just see everything different. The general story line may be the same, but the characters, the journey, the mission, the plan, the important details, are different.

And hares are all completely different...
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Redwallfan7

This was stupid, someone on another site said they hated Redwall because of the animals talking. I was like what the heck
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

WildDoogyPlumm

I like the smallish things that set one book apart - Tagg's quest, a cannibalistic Gulo, a Doomwyte jewel search, etc.
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

redwallgurl

I like to think how everything has a different role to play and think of it without that character
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Tiria Wildlough

Aye, there's always a villain that needs to be defeated and everything, but the interesting thing is how it happens.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Lutra

You've basically stumbled onto what I call the "Redwall formula".  There's always a general storyline Redwall follows, and there's always a guarantee of certain things--huge feasts, vermin hordes, a hero to save the day.  As Matthias has said, the journey to these points is all different, but its the same storyline in the end.  Only two books melded out of this formula a bit to give you that "might something different happen" feeling--Outcast of Redwall and Taggerung.  Some readers don't mind the general predictability of the stories, others don't like it as much.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

WildDoogyPlumm

Quote from: Redwallfan7 on April 24, 2012, 06:45:11 PM
This was stupid, someone on another site said they hated Redwall because of the animals talking. I was like what the heck
I saw someone who said they didn't like all the different species in Redwall.
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

Redwallfan7

I wanted to say a good comeback but I held my tongue. Sometimes it's not worth arguing with people.

Tiria Wildlough

Yep, arguments over someone's opinion usually end in a stalemate. :P
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Tannsrall

Ignore This something wierd happened!

Refer to post below.
if you not shoopid then don' ask shoopid questions - mousebabe from Bellmaker

I am the law!

-

Tannsrall

Quote from: Redwallfan7 on April 26, 2012, 01:45:22 AM
I wanted to say a good comeback but I held my tongue. Sometimes it's not worth arguing with people.

Let me guess you learned that from Redwall.
if you not shoopid then don' ask shoopid questions - mousebabe from Bellmaker

I am the law!

-

MatthiasMan

I learned at school there is something called the Hero's ____. Can't remember the last word, but all the story's of Redwall have it. It's like what all the Hero's go through. Like Hercules, he rose to fame, had a bad time, then saved all the people. It's something like that order.