What order do you recommend reading the books in?

Started by Rittwolf, September 21, 2012, 11:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BraveSoldier

I always start with Redwall and anything goes after it.

Dannflower Reguba

The order they were written is a great way to go.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

AxeHound

First in publication order, then in chronological order.

(please do not send me the pm game messages)

Leatho Shellhound

Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

mayor

I guess you should read Redwall first. Because it is where you can find the basic and very important details. And you can have a rough idea by reading it. Then try to read Mattimeo. After that you read in whatever order you prefer.

Leatho Shellhound

I still would say chronological order is the best way.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Lord Gorath

I just finished Redwall a minute ago (LITERALLY). I started with Martin the Warrior because it seemed interesting when I read the back. Also, my brother had gotten it from the library and he let me read it. I think that chronological is the best if you're just focusing on those two methods, but if it's just all around, I prefer roaming around the series. My favorite book is either Lord Brocktree or Eulalia.

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Kitsune

I would say just read them in the order they were published. The main chronological order(where you can tell the most where one book goes to the next) is in the Pearls of Lutra, the Long Patrol, (etc.) section and that is the way it was published, too. Whatever you want is fine, also!  ;D

P.S. I am just a newbie on here(for now). I have read all 22 Redwall books and the 3 Castaways books as well.

321tumbler

I'd say publication order. My brother read them in chronological and didn't like them because he made the publication order work together even if the next book wasn't the next chronological story.

Wydran Riverpaw

I would recommend reading the series in publication order. When I started reading the books, I decided to go with chronological order. I picked up Lord Brocktree but was already confused by the intro, so I skipped to Martin the Warrior and continued from there. While it did make sense, I honestly would rather have read them in publication order. I feel like it would make some things more of a surprise and would just have worked better.

winifred

I know some folks aren't very particular about the order, but I just remember someone saying on here how irrated they were b/c they read the bellmaker before mariel. :-\

Anyways, when my friends ask me this question this is the list I give them.
(This is my own personal preference)

Mossflower-b/c it explains the History of Redwall and Mossflower
The legend of Luke-starts Redwall
Martin the warrior
The outcast of Redwall-explains sunflash etc.
Lord Brocktree-explains background History
Redwall
Mattimeo-sequal of redwall
Pearls of Lutra
long patrol
marlfox
Taggerung
Mariel of Redwall
The bellmaker-sequal of mariel
Salamandastron

From here you can pretty much read the rest in whatever order. :)
Sherlock
Doctor Who
Beyond the Western Deep
Mouseguard
Ranger's Apprentice
Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Book Thief
Harry Potter
Percy Jackson
:D
And many many more...

Romsca

Chronological order, starting with Lord Brocktree

DMBlackshire

Hello everyone,
         I am brand new to the forums so I do not know nearly anything at all in this series. I was given the first four books in the chronological order for Christmas. (Lord Brocktree, Martin the Warrior, Mossflower, and The Legend of Luke.) I look forward to reading these books and am already well into Lord Brocktree. I think it is great to be able to start reading these books in such a time that I can start from the beginning of the story line. The only concern I have is the lack of understanding in references made here on the site. The writing is wonderful. Is there a thread that discusses the recipes talked about in the books. I would really like to cook up some of the dishes discussed.