News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

What is the best age to start reading Redwall?

Started by Jess, December 02, 2012, 07:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Gorath

I'm 9, and I read like 8 of the Redwall books. Each one it could take anywhere from 2-4 days to read one of them. Course, I'm also gifted in reading.

Something Horrifying

I think 10 is a wonderful age to read them for the first time generally, but it really depends on the individual child (reading level, maturity, etc). I think I started reading them when I was about 9? Maybe 10. Lost interest a few years later, then recently picked them back up and found I love them all over again. So I think reading them young is nice because it adds a layer of nostalgia if/when you read them again as an adult? Every time I re-read one I have this feeling of "omg my childhood, right here". It's fun.
SEPULCHRITUUUUUUUUUUU-UUUDE!

Fanfics: Blackness (complete) --- Recovery (in progress)
Art: Art Thread --- MS Paint Redwall

Lily

I agree with everyone else, 10 is the perfect age to start reading Redwall. I started just after I turned 8 and fell in love instantly, so I think a 10 year old would have no trouble.

It's great that you're sharing the series with your family, Jess. Maybe I should do the same thing when I see my cousins this Christmas, they're getting to be the right age...

Quote from: Something Horrifying on December 02, 2012, 10:58:49 PM
So I think reading them young is nice because it adds a layer of nostalgia if/when you read them again as an adult? Every time I re-read one I have this feeling of "omg my childhood, right here". It's fun.
Agreed, there's nothing quite like re-reading Redwall to make you feel like a kid again. :)

Tiria Wildlough

I don't know that there's a 'perfect age' to read Redwall. Some kids I know wouldn't be able to read them at 10. It all depends on your reading level and how mature you are.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Lutra

10 is good if you have an advanced reader and they're into the fantasy genre.  If not wait till about 12 or 13...that's about how old I was when I read them.  And I loved books too, so its really a matter of taste.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

brocka

Any age is good. If someone doesn't have the reading skills or maturity, any book in the series will help give them the necessary skills to enjoy reading as a lifetime pursuit. Also remember the smaller books about the Tribes of Redwall, Heroes, Map and Riddler. These books can be used as learning helps and to promote an interest in the longer books. The cookbook is a good quick read and it has a cute story in rhyme as well as pictures.

Matthias720

I started reading them when I was 9 years old, and I enjoyed them immensely. Based on that, and what everyone else has said, I'd say ages 9 to 11 would be a good range.

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

cregga rose eyes

I started at age 8, but it all really depends on the reader.
Drifting with the wind
I usually go by LakeLake nowadays

Kitsune

Quote from: Skipper on December 02, 2012, 08:33:39 PM
It all depends on if you think your nephew is capable of understanding the words easily enough and if he is intrested in reading.
Also, able to handle the violence. I would say around eleven would be a good age to start.

Romsca

i started at eleven but i should have read them earlier

Delthion

I think I started with Lord Brocktree at age 7 or 8.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Mister Cheese

The thing that stinks is I started only last year (16 years)... Probably want to start earlier than that haha

Captain Tammo

I started at around 10 years old and would read them with my dad, usually. Though after a couple of months, I began reading on my own and loved it!!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Cornflower MM

I started around five or six, (Gosh, has it really been this long?!) but I think it all depends on the kid, his/her reading level (If you go by that. Which my family doesn't.) But I think it really depends on the kid.