News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

What is the best age to start reading Redwall?

Started by Jess, December 02, 2012, 07:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shisteer of nothing much

This is an interesting topic. Mum read them to us (me and my siblings) when I was about six but I only recently started reading them myself.
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

It depends on the individual and what they've been exposed to. I grew up with Lord of the Rings as a bedtime story so I can cope with basically anything. Some children are less hardened.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Jarky Thistlebrush

I started reading them when I was about... Five or six? I read a lot.
And I am VERY hardened.
The following is a list of things to bring on holiday:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
42 ~ Seb's Humility ~ Seb's toothbrush ~ Seb's soul ~ Half a Plane ~ Your Toothbrush ~ A creeping anxiety every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Pure Terror every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Death every time you look at your toothbrush

I had to move everything off the list but the bare essentials to make way for this:

shisteer of nothing much

Quote from: Jarky Thistlebrush on October 21, 2019, 06:22:59 AM
And I am VERY hardened.
I can tell.

There is a fairly large amount of violence in Redwall so small children who are inclined to get nightmares and such might want to practice with something slightly less... bloodthirsty. (Ranger's Apprentice, for example)

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: shisteer of nothing much on October 22, 2019, 08:07:08 AM
Quote from: Jarky Thistlebrush on October 21, 2019, 06:22:59 AM
And I am VERY hardened.
I can tell.

There is a fairly large amount of violence in Redwall so small children who are inclined to get nightmares and such might want to practice with something slightly less... bloodthirsty. (Ranger's Apprentice, for example)
Although Ranger's Apprentice has it's fair share of bloodthirstyness as well.
Spoiler
I remember that one of the villains died when some iron-eating acid was splashed onto his face and... Well, let's just say it killed him. However, I agree that RA is probably a lot less violent than Redwall. Just making an observation.
[close]
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

I suppose RA has a few gruesome details but there's more vinegar in Redwall.
Spoiler
Actually, the acid wasn't what killed him. The acid caused him to stumble backwards and he fell to his death out the tower window. Personally, I felt more sympathy towards the poor servants who had to clean the blood and guts off the courtyard.
[close]

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

lass of something much

back on topic, we'v always had the redwall books, (some of them anyways...) but we never really read them untill Seb said that Teer should read them, and I just started, one chapter was all I needed to push me into the void XD and I wish I had started earlier too...
𝓛𝓪𝓼𝓼𝓲𝓮 𝓕𝓲𝓼𝓱

shisteer of nothing much

I had it on my to read list but it was pretty far down until the helpful tortoise brought it to my attention.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

lass of something much

𝓛𝓪𝓼𝓼𝓲𝓮 𝓕𝓲𝓼𝓱

Verdauga

Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

lass of something much

𝓛𝓪𝓼𝓼𝓲𝓮 𝓕𝓲𝓼𝓱

Verdauga

(His profile pic looked like a tortoise to Shisteer.)
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

shisteer of nothing much

It looks like a ninja turtle but with feet, rather than flippers.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

lass of something much

So the best age to start reading RedWall is?

(this is not the Callars guys)
𝓛𝓪𝓼𝓼𝓲𝓮 𝓕𝓲𝓼𝓱