Beyond The Map

Started by BloodGullet, June 01, 2013, 04:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BloodGullet

OK, here's a question I've been wondering for some time and would like to get an opinion from the community on, what is beyond the map?  For example, what is east of Mossflower Woods, or farther south of the Toad Lands and Castle Floret, or if you just kept sailing west?  I don't remember any description of obscure or strange lands beyond, but perhaps someone knows of some brief mention or reference in one of the books.  If so, please let me know and I'll look it up. I just can't remember myself.

If you don't know, feel free to speculate.  For example, I think there's a great desert to the east, and perhaps a very large, but isolated island to the west and south, with strange creatures.  But then, my imagination get a little carried away.  :D
When ye hear me muzzle lock, say yer prayers, ye bilgerat!

Buzz_Bumble

I think one of the books has a map showing another coastline on the East, and at least one other book has a small island to the West (and a second island I think is mentioned in another book).

BloodGullet

yes, the ones I can recall are Sampetra (with Ublaz in the Pearls of Lutra, and Terramort - Mariel of Redwall).  I also recall some mention of Bowfleg's camp in Outcasts, that is somewhere to the east, but I think the details were a little sketchy.

Maudie

There is also Green Isle, from High Rhulain.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Buzz_Bumble

The map in the Legend of Luke shows the "Caves of Luke's Tribe" near the top on the west coast. The map in Martin the Warrior shows the same caves at the bottom of the map and in the north-east it shows the "Marshank" and the "Eastern Sea" coastline.

This fan-made map shows almost all of the known Mossflower region - it's just missing a few locations and the "Green Isle" (click on the map for a bigger version).

The official map shows the same thing (click on the map for a bigger version).

Of course, neither of these is "beyond the map" though.  :)

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah've alvayz vondered aboot ze land zat Zkrabblag came from. He'z zuppozedly from the extreme zouth. Zince zere vaz vone, zere zhould be ozer'z, nay?
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Shadowed One

Well, Marshank was on the Eastern Coast.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Tam and Martin

If you kept going south of Southsward, I would imagina a land where only one type of creature lives like toads or lizards. I don't kno anything else that is true but that's what I imagine  ;)

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

BloodGullet

Thanks Buzz - those are great maps!  I forgot all about Marshank and Loamhedge!   We have a copy of the second map hanging on the wall, except in english.  Its great, but not as much details as the first.

Green isle is another one, thanks.

I wonder if BJ ever got around to writing about the lands far to the north he would make it like a polar region with glaciers and wild snow beasts and such. Oh well, sounds like a good story for an RP or a fan fiction.   :P

Shadowed One

Read "The Northlander" on Fanfiction.net. it is an excellent piece of fanfiction about the northern lands.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Buzz_Bumble

In a lot of ways Mossflower region is similar to England (where of course the animals used in the stories all originate from) with the rough north country (Scotland), rough coast to the east, and the "Green Isle" to the west (Ireland) ... but there are differences, the main one being the Salamandastron volcano.

Ungatt Trunn

Who knows what lies beyond the Redwall Map? Prehaps theres another place like Redwall Abbey, were the forces of good and evil will conflict , but good will always triumph.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Romsca

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on June 02, 2013, 01:35:05 AM
In a lot of ways Mossflower region is similar to England (where of course the animals used in the stories all originate from) with the rough north country (Scotland), rough coast to the east, and the "Green Isle" to the west (Ireland)

I think that too! And in IMO, I think of Southsward as Spain, but that's just me. And the land to the far, far South where Skrabblag was from might be like Morroco

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

An' yet, it at ze zame time iznae!
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on June 02, 2013, 01:35:05 AM
In a lot of ways Mossflower region is similar to England (where of course the animals used in the stories all originate from) with the rough north country (Scotland), rough coast to the east, and the "Green Isle" to the west (Ireland) ... but there are differences, the main one being the Salamandastron volcano.

And the land of ice and snow would be Greenland or Iceland??
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior