Redwall Fashion

Started by Mariel, June 17, 2013, 08:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phoenixfoden

Pants are for the more sofisticated animals  8)

Redwallfan7

Well, to me, since Redwall has a Medieval/Renaissance  setting, I picture the animals in the abbey wearing simple clothes, and then on the animals who live in the castles or the villains I picture clothes that only the rich could have afforded, with silks and bright colors. The clothes are highly based on where the animal grew up and lives. I picture both sides to wear clothes, even if the book doesn't  mention it, because I like to picture what it would look like.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

MeadowR

I can envision them wearing kilts and shorts okay, but trousers not so well. :) Trousers would be a little awkward to wear if the animals are betrayed still fairly naturalistic, as the bend, of say, a mouse's leg is very different to the straightness of a human's. They'd have to wear closer to the more spacious pantaloons!

~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Maudie

I just imagine most Redwall creatures naked or in a tunic or loincloth. Though the hares tunics I imagine more like a uniform than a tunic.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Buzz_Bumble

Yep, the most popular fashion in Redwall is animal fur ... unlike during our own modern times where wearing animal fur is a big no-no (although there are sometimes exceptions for so-called "pest" animals like possums and rabbits).

Shadowed One

I always thought they had some clothes, though some rats and vermin might wear nothing but rags. However, they might not wear pants.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

rachel25

I think a lot of the animals in Redwall just wear kilts except Redwallers I imagen them wearing green , blue, and yellow habits. ;D

Buzz_Bumble

Yellow habits?!? I thought they were brown, like monks.  :)

Redwall is basically a medieval-style, so it's likely most of their clothes would be natural coloured or easy dyes - greens, reds, browns, but medieval clothing was also a lot more colourful than most people think of (most people's ideas are due to movies and TV shows like Robin Hood).

Redwaller

True, they have colourful blues, reds, greens, yellows, etc.

BadgerLordFiredrake

Well, from the picture posted, it seems that Cornflower's hair is portrayed by the piece of cloth thingy on her head.

Or, as stated, you could run around naked.  In Medieval times, that would proooobably not be the norm.

I always picture the mice in habits, Guosim/Guosssom/Guoraf in some sort of kilt, along with almost all Highlanders.
baby turtle forever

Romsca

I kinda imagine them wearing "normal" medieval/Renaissance/old-fashioned clothes

Sorrows Solace

From the show's perspective the habits were always green for initiates and brown for the Abbots, as well as the recorders. I can also remember only one character having any type of head fur and that was Rose. Though that was in the TV series to make things more engaging.

As far as the books go, the Redwallers either wore habits, tunics and some of the ladies wore pinafores and dresses. Though I think as time went on that faded, the badgers and hares wore smocks or tunics and the otters...well it made sense if they wore little since they were always in the water.

The vermin wore tunics, rags or seafaring gear, like some of the other posters said Jacques seemed to draw on military and seafaring lore which explains a lot of his choices.

Maudie

I imagine vermin with loincloths, like the cover picture on the American version of Taggerung. or with ragged tunics, except the richly clad warlords.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

rachel25

Quote from: Romsca on July 10, 2013, 09:13:51 PM
I kinda imagine them wearing "normal" medieval/Renaissance/old-fashioned clothes
Yeah I think I agree  :)

Shadowed One

Quote from: rachel25 on July 11, 2013, 11:12:26 AM
Quote from: Romsca on July 10, 2013, 09:13:51 PM
Yeah I think I agree  :)

Me too.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc