AbbeyCraft - The Redwall + Minecraft project

Started by cryptopur, June 20, 2013, 09:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cryptopur

Hi y'all - just wanted to pop in and offer a hearty thank you to all of you for looking at, downloading, and sharing AbbeyCraft.

In jus the few days it's been out in the wild we've seen well over 20k downloads  and we're not even live on the major sites yet so this is all just word of mouth and sharing from folks like you.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. :)

Romsca

20K downloads? There were that many people who donated to the kickstarter?

LordTBT

Quote from: Romsca on August 14, 2013, 09:09:16 PM
20K downloads? There were that many people who donated to the kickstarter?

It's available for anyone to download.

Awesome news cryptopur!

davers84

The link isn't allowing me to download. It just keeps timing out on me. Is there an alternate download link?

EDIT: Nevermind. I had to use a different browser. Chrome kept timing out on me, so I tried it with Safari and it worked just fine.

EDIT 2: This is so much fun! Very exciting! I'm just now on the Abbey Grounds and I'm a 28 year old man getting all giddy :)

EDIT 3: The Great Hall is incredibly impressive. It's so massive and detailed! I do have a few questions about a few things though. I won't mention certain places for the sake of spoilers, but I have found a few hidden passages that seem to go nowhere and there isn't anything in them. Was this intentional? Or was it just something that was forgotten to be covered up until a later time?

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

VedCassib

Quote from: davers84 on August 16, 2013, 05:44:14 AM
The Great Hall is incredibly impressive. It's so massive and detailed! I do have a few questions about a few things though. I won't mention certain places for the sake of spoilers, but I have found a few hidden passages that seem to go nowhere and there isn't anything in them. Was this intentional? Or was it just something that was forgotten to be covered up until a later time?

So far I've found that if you keep looking, you will find something. It just takes a while sometimes. There are also sometimes areas in which you have to use "parkour", and that can make finding the end a little more difficult.

davers84

I got to an area earlier that I had to do some parkour stunts. Unfortunately, I'm not experienced in Minecraft enough to pull off fancy moves so I decided to just come back later. It was a secret room near the dormitories and I need to go back and get the red flower pots.

cryptopur

W00t!
It's so exciting to see folks exploring and finding stuff and it sounds like you're having fu! That's the main thing. :)

BTW - some additional clues to our big web-based puzzle can be found within the Minecraft adventure, so keep a weather eye out for details in books that may seem otherwise out of place.

An alternate download link can be found here: http://www.mcworldmap.com/worlds/371yM

In other news, we're a good bit down the road starting into the phase of making the Minecraft server live now...should be live soon.

And then a note regarding the secret doors/passages/rooms: The last I counted there were 21 secret "places" inside just the Abbey, and that's only counting the ones where you need to flip a switch or something like that to open it. That number doesn't include "difficult to reach" places where parkour is the required skill.

Only some of the secret rooms you can find are functionally part of this adventure, maybe a half-dozen. All the others...you'll just have to wait until The Warrior Reborn goes live but now you're a step ahead for having found them early.   ;D

davers84

I need to start writing down these locations then! I've found about 5 secret passages so far with two of them going nowhere. I'll just have to remember for later.

I did find an odd book, so it's nice to know what it's for! Quick question, I'm assuming the dormitory area is the "2nd floor" of the abbey, correct? I know this sounds really stupid, but I was looking for my bed and can't find it. I'm assuming there is a chest next to it containing my cookbook. I probably haven't looked everywhere yet so there's that. It was late last night that I started playing, so I couldn't play for too long and finally just got off after not finding my bed  :-\

VedCassib

Quote from: davers84 on August 16, 2013, 06:37:44 PM
I need to start writing down these locations then! I've found about 5 secret passages so far with two of them going nowhere. I'll just have to remember for later.

I did find an odd book, so it's nice to know what it's for! Quick question, I'm assuming the dormitory area is the "2nd floor" of the abbey, correct? I know this sounds really stupid, but I was looking for my bed and can't find it. I'm assuming there is a chest next to it containing my cookbook. I probably haven't looked everywhere yet so there's that. It was late last night that I started playing, so I couldn't play for too long and finally just got off after not finding my bed  :-\

Yes, it is on the second floor. The easiest way to find your room is to go to the kitchen, take the stairs up past the main floor and exit onto the second. Then look for the yellow flower pot. That will be your room. The chest is somewhat difficult to find. Once you enter your room, immediately turn right. It will be directly in front of you.

davers84

So it looks like I'll have to restart my adventure. On my way to St. Ninians and I decided to check out the ditch in front of the Abbey. Fell in a 1x1x2 hole by accident and can't get out :( Since I can't break any blocks or fly, my only option is to restart. Thankfully, I'm not TOO far into the game yet. Just wanted to point out that there might be a few more holes in the ditch that need to be "patched" up.

cryptopur

Yikes! Thanks Dave. Yeah we'll want to fill those in. Any info you can share to help us find that spot would be much obliged.

davers84

Here's a video of two of the holes you can't get out. They are right next to each other. The corner of the Abbey shown in the video is the first corner you come up on at the start of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfS3ZSj6nkw&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: Also, is there a way into St. Ninian's bell tower? I don't want any hints if so, I just want to know if I should keep looking or not!

LordTBT

Quote from: davers84 on August 16, 2013, 05:43:04 PM
I got to an area earlier that I had to do some parkour stunts. Unfortunately, I'm not experienced in Minecraft enough to pull off fancy moves so I decided to just come back later. It was a secret room near the dormitories and I need to go back and get the red flower pots.

The red flower pots are markers - you don't need to actually collect them.

FWIW, I located the hidden passage
Spoiler
in the dormitory level library
[close]
. After a few tries, I completed the hardcore parkour, and retrieved
Spoiler
7 emeralds
[close]
at this location. :)

LordTBT

If you haven't played yet but are curious as to what it looks like, a player uploaded a video to YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvD1sFDoJNQ