News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

LEAST favorite "good" race

Started by Blaggut, August 22, 2013, 07:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your LEAST favorite "good" race?

Otter
3 (4.1%)
Hare
6 (8.1%)
Squirrel
4 (5.4%)
Mice
8 (10.8%)
Mole
10 (13.5%)
Hedgehog
19 (25.7%)
Shrew
16 (21.6%)
Badger
8 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Skyblade

I don't have a least favorite good race right now, but the results are interesting.

Why are there so many votes for hedgehogs? They're underrated. Actually, that's why I made the protagonist of my Pompeii fanfic a hedgehog - it's more of an "unlikely hero". He's going to be friends with a shrew, as well. Shrews are also somewhat underrated, and so are moles (but I have yet to master mole speech, which is the only reason I don't have a mole main character).

I have to admit, shrews do annoy me sometimes because of all their arguing.

I don't like some aspects of badgers...they seem overpowered. I'm hoping to break the norm by being a small, shy, and not very strong badger as an RP character.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Vilu Daskar

My least favorite are the voles.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Skyblade

I think voles are considered gray.

Hmm...to be honest, I personally don't grow too fond of many of the heroes. I don't know why.

Izeroth

I think badgers have an undeservedly bad reputation. Yes, they are overpowered, but you have to remember that badgers are naturally larger than just about every other animal in the books. Also, though badgers typically posess more endurance than other woodlanders, there are still numerous instances of them being slain. Considering the dramatic deaths of Lord Stonepaw and Boar the Fightwr, I would almost say that it's expected of badger lords to die in battle.

Jetthebinturong

Badgers are about the same size as some species of otter though and you never get giant hulking sea otters in the series.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Skyblade

Good points, Izeroth.

What about Bloodwrath, though?

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on August 25, 2015, 09:01:31 AM
Badgers are about the same size as some species of otter though

Really?

Vilu Daskar

Quote from: Skyblade on August 25, 2015, 03:36:17 AM
I think voles are considered gray.

Hmm...to be honest, I personally don't grow too fond of many of the heroes. I don't know why.
But the main ones are usually good.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Hickory

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on August 25, 2015, 09:01:31 AM
Badgers are about the same size as some species of otter though and you never get giant hulking sea otters in the series.
Finnbarr and Skor got pretty close, but Brain didn't specify. He almost never does. It could be anything...
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Banya

I am easily annoyed with most birds in the books.  It's safe to say that all of the birds except for Chibb, Skarlath,  Stryk Redkite, and those in Martin the Warrior (Boldred, her family, and the Warden) are at the bottom of my favourites list.  Rabbits, too.  Don't like them much.

Hickory

At the same time, birds are like that for the story. For example, Chibb is a robin, and we like him for his characteristics, but the other robin in Redwall, the dude in Outcast, has the same characteristics (needs a payment [food] for information) but we hate him for it. It's the way Brian writes.

As for the rabbits, I just think Brian didn't have enough ime to develop them.

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Sagetip, the hare on September 04, 2015, 01:13:17 PM

As for the rabbits, I just think Brian didn't have enough ime to develop them.

25 years, not counting the years he spent writing Redwall.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Hickory

What I mean is that he didn't give them a lot of time in the story. Also, all the important skills were being taken up by other animals at the time.

Banya

I like Chibb because he's important to the story.  He's also humourous.  I don't remember the robin from Outcast, let alone its name, so I can't list him as an exception.  Outcast is coming up soon on my reading list, so I'll rediscover that robin before long.

Like rabbits, dormice weren't well-developed in the series, and because of their uselessness I like them less than mice and other woodland species.  On the other hand, I don't mind voles.  They're not well-developed either (an entire book without a vole wouldn't be lacking in character variety); they're a filler species, used when a character doesn't possess any of the attributes associated with some of the other species, but they're found more often in the series, and I enjoy the addition of some species outside the usual ones.

Vilu Daskar

Out of those I'd go with Hedgehog.

Skyblade