News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Songs From Redwall - 20 Years of Redwall CD

Started by Lutra, July 25, 2011, 12:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lutra

I wasn't entirely sure when this item was first released if I would enjoy it or not.  Some of the songs use very fancy wordplay, and that's ok for a poem, but I wasn't sure how well a song could be made out of it.  I've heard all the songs on the CD, and a few I've replayed multiple times as they've grown on me ("Martin", "Education" "Rappity Tap" "Frog Song" "Home").  A majority I find myself wondering if that's what I expected, or if I was simply disappointed it wasn't what I expected, and that certainly does change your opinion of many things.  ;)

So if you have the cd or heard the songs, what are your favorites?  Were the interpretations what you expected?  Did you wish for something else?
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Osu

I've only heard what's on the audiobooks, but I assume they're the same. There aren't any I didn't like - but I never read them with a particular tune, really, except the "Away O!" song in the Legend of Luke. A few impressed me, but ultimately I don't have much opinion on the songs as they're sung either way.

I would like this CD, though...
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Lily

I have almost bought this CD so many times. The thing that stopped me was that the majority of the songs are from the later books. I know the earlier books a lot better and those were the songs I wanted to hear the most. Plus, I'd never heard any of the audiobooks. Having said that, I still want to buy this...

Dawnwing

I may get it one day, I don't know. xD  There's a couple of the songs I really like on there - "Dawn" from Loamhedge is one of my top favorites, as is "Home" from Outcast of Redwall, and "Summer Sun" from Triss (if it's the one I'm thinking of).  "Rakkety Tam" and "Martin" are some of the better ones too.

It seems they skipped a lot of the best ones, though.  Take High Rhulain, for example, since they have most of the songs from that book in there.  It seems that the only ones they skipped there are the ones I like most, while the ones actually on there are more mediocre.  The otterclans' war song is probably the best one from that book, and the bee/honey song is very catchy and cute, and Holt Summerdell really makes you feel like you're in the book, listening to this old bard sing of a beautiful, legendary place.  Yet none of them are on the CD, as far as I can tell.
Other ones besides those I'd have liked to see are Bryony's seasons song from Outcast (I don't think it's Gates of Spring, isn't that Skarlath's song?), and Kroova's Song from Triss.

Nightfire

Where can you get the CD in Western New York? My library doesn't have it! I've been searching for EVER for the CD! I am irked that I cannot find it. >:( So far I've just been finding the songs on youtube.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Lily

You can get the CD from the online Redwall shop in the Miscellaneous Gifts section.

DanielofRedwall

I heard a few of the songs on youtube, I wonder if the videos are still there...
Received mostly negative reviews.

Lutra

There are pieces of it online if your library does not carry a copy.  I think with some libraries, they can scour other libraries in the region and see if anyone else has it.  I'm sure at least one NY library has it somewhere.  If you're from the western part of the state, maybe a center in Buffalo or Rochester would have it.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Nightfire

Hmm. I'm not allowed to order anything online. Maybe a bookstore like Barnes and Nobles would have it. And as for ordering from another library, my library is part of a much larger Nioga system. I can put holds on stuff from any other library. But none of the other libraries in the system haave it.  :(
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Martha Braebuck

I didn't even know about it until you said that! I'll have to try and find it now :D
~Love, •*Martha*•

Whoohahahahooh!! ~Hon Rosie's awesome laugh!

"Fate 'n fortune smile on us,
and of this crew take care,
but let no greedy robber try,
to guzzle up my share!"

Lutra

Quote from: Lady Amber on July 29, 2011, 04:38:21 PM
Hmm. I'm not allowed to order anything online. Maybe a bookstore like Barnes and Nobles would have it. And as for ordering from another library, my library is part of a much larger Nioga system. I can put holds on stuff from any other library. But none of the other libraries in the system haave it.  :(

Barnes and Noble won't carry it because it was such a limited release.  The best place to find it if your library system doesn't carry it is to go through the LaDita bookclub: http://www.redwall.org/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=192

Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Nightfire

Meh...I'll just stick to listening to the songs on youtube.

Lord Brocktree

Hello there fellow Redwallers!

I recently purchased the Songs from Redwall CD and let me tell you it is worth it. The package took a while to come, but when it did I felt the same shudder of excitement when over six years ago I got a Redwall package from Liverpool for the Redwall Readers Club.
     I opened the package only expecting a CD, but they also put some bookmarks and postcards in there (a very nice sentiment). There are 47 songs totaling 69 minutes of listening experience. The disk did have a scratch on it that prevented the 47th song from playing completely, but all of the rest are great.
     If you go to the Redwall Wiki and search for the CD you can see the song list and what books they come from. It covers a nice selection. There are energetic marching and paddling songs. Those shrews sure know how to belt out their lyrics! There are plenty of humorous songs including Tarquin's lovestruck nighttime song about his wonderful Hon Rosie. There are also many relaxing lullabies and songs of that sort. (It almost put me to sleep, in a good way.) 
     Is this CD worth buying? Yes! It adds an entirely new experience to reading the books. You can actually put a tune with the music now! The singers are excellent and it is easier to imagine them as mice and shrews than as humans. (Perhaps I have a really extensive imagination) There is also a wonderful introduction by Brian Jacques at the beginning that will send chills down your spine. So if you want to belt out river shanties or march to the tune of your favorite Long Patrol ballad this CD is for you!
"An' if on an empty tummy I'm slain,
Then I'll jolly well never get killed again,
So pass the pudden an' fetch those pies,
An' I'll give the foebeast a rotten surprise!"

Lutra

I made a topic about this a long time back that fell off into the abyss.  While I feel some of the songs were good, some I couldn't get into at all, and its a skip here and there to get to songs that I actually liked.  Its a nice product for those that like Mr. Jacques' poetry and ability to weave a song in words.  It won't be for everyone.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Muse

Yeah. Sometimes, on the audiobooks, songs like comedy songs are really slow, or slow songs really fast.
Do not fear the unknown. It cannot hurt you.
What is truly worth fearing is the known.
By Muse