Why you love Redwall.

Started by Redwall Musician, June 21, 2011, 03:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwall Musician

I know you all love Redwall. But if you had to give 5 reason why what would they be? Mine are:

1. I like how the animals seem so real.
2. The great writing detail.
3. Original story.
4. The heart the writer put into it
5. Because it is Redwall.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

DanielofRedwall

That is asking an impossible question! I just love it!
Received mostly negative reviews.

Redwall Musician

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on June 21, 2011, 04:11:02 AM

So you mean "Because it is Redwall" ?

First person: Why do you love Redwall?
Me: Because it is Redwall.
First person: I mean why!
Me: Because it is Redwall. If you want to know so bad read it.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Osu

Hmm, that's a good question. I'm not entirely sure why I fell in love with Redwall, exactly, buuut if I had to list five things that keep me coming back...

1. Narration and story telling. Hey, BJ weaves a good yarn. There's this perfect balance between showing and telling, I never have a problem using my imagination to see, hear, and feel absolutely every little thing going on.

2. The world and its characters - really, the very essence of what the series is. It is amazing to think such a wonderful and creative place with so much diversity came from the imagination of one man.

3. The hares. Yes, yes, not much of a reason, but I can't help it. I just love the hares and their silly mannerisms and rich-dude accents...! I've always wanted to meet somebody who actually talks like that. I hear they still exist somewhere... but I digress.

4. ...Did I mention the storytelling? Sorry, it's such a big reason why I keep coming back to this series I simply must make mention of it twice!

5. The Moral of the Story. On the surface, it's usually the same and stikes the average man as cliche: good vs. evil and the utter importance, the true power of friendship. I believe the simplest lessons are the most important, however - and sometimes, the hardest to learn. The way these things are portrayed and explained is masterful.

What wonderful books these are. I will never be able to find the words to describe.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: Redwall Musician on June 21, 2011, 04:14:13 AM

Yep! Pretty much!  ;D
Received mostly negative reviews.

Osu

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on June 21, 2011, 04:16:50 AM
Quote from: Redwall Musician on June 21, 2011, 04:14:13 AM

Yep! Pretty much!  ;D

Hear, hear! A valid reason, I say! The testimony stands!  ;)
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Matthias720

Let's see...

1. the food
2. the weapons
3. the battles
4. the riddles
5. the food (oh, and did I mention the food :D)

daskar666

I like its story structure. It's a lot like LOTR but more fast-paced and much less of the supernatural. Many people also say that LOTR is for adults while Redwall is for children but Redwall plots are usually  more complex and multilayered than LOTR which I like. As for the fact that it has animal characters, I just imagine them to be people except the birds and snakes which are simply giant talking birds and snakes (it is fantasy after all).

Martha Braebuck

I love Redwall because its plain old awesome!!!  :o
~Love, •*Martha*•

Whoohahahahooh!! ~Hon Rosie's awesome laugh!

"Fate 'n fortune smile on us,
and of this crew take care,
but let no greedy robber try,
to guzzle up my share!"

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Besides because it is Redwall...
1. Every book has some Weasels in it, therefore making the enitre series great, as Weasels make anything great.
2. When talking about the music in the book I don't have to say "quote unquote music" when describing it like I have to do for modern day "quote unquote" music.
3. Great Plot
4. Great characters
5. Weasels are in the....wait...I already said this.....Oh well......WEASELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(I also enjoy everything in the books, especially the Weasels!  ;D)
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Martha Braebuck

You like weasles? well, they are cool but they kill chickens, and I love chickens :o
~Love, •*Martha*•

Whoohahahahooh!! ~Hon Rosie's awesome laugh!

"Fate 'n fortune smile on us,
and of this crew take care,
but let no greedy robber try,
to guzzle up my share!"

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Martha Braebuck on June 21, 2011, 05:46:09 PM
You like weasles? well, they are cool but they kill chickens, and I love chickens :o

Yet chickens are not good enough to make into a Redwall book...
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Redwall Musician

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on June 22, 2011, 08:37:12 PM
Quote from: Martha Braebuck on June 21, 2011, 05:46:09 PM

Yet chickens are not good enough to make into a Redwall book...

That is because you don't see chickens running around wild.

Matthias720

I was under the impression that Brian Jacques only chose animals that are native to the British Isles, with only a few notable exceptions.

GeminyaTome

Hard Question. It'll take a lot of consideration...
1.Redwall is a place where my imagination comes alive.
2. Everything is so real
3. Brian makes sure that the animals stay animals. There are NO human references.
4. It is SO descriptive! (I have personally decided to never read Redwall while I'm hungry!)
5. Brian develops the characters well and makes you become attached to them.
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Psalm 90:2,4