News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Ferrets::Polecats

Started by The Skarzs, February 26, 2014, 06:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Alright. Problem.
'Ferret' was a name made by humans for their tamed polecat pets.
In the wild, they are identical to the cuddly caged ferrets we have at home; only difference is the name. Why is it there are both polecats and ferrets in the Redwallverse when they are both the same species?
For example. Mattimeo: Scringe was a ferret and Malkariss was a polecat.  ???
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Tam and Martin

Maybe just too show a little bit of difference between the two. For example, If you had to show difference between a person you would use different names or words to describe them.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

The Skarzs

It is easier to say ferret than polecat :P
But there are no wild ferrets.
I don't know; just wanted to see what others thought of this.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

The Skarzs

._.

PURE FERRETS WOULD BE POLECATS!!!
*Ahem.*
Forgive my outburst.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Vilu Daskar

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

The Skarzs

Bah. Nobody cares about this topic.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Vilu Daskar

The Skarzs

True, since you did bother posting. :P

Any one know that wolverines are in the weasel family?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

MeadowR

It confused me a bit actually, when he started writing about polecats. I thought, aren't they just ferrets? Maybe he intended it to mean they had slight differences to ferrets. I don't know...
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

321tumbler

I thought they were just in the same family.

The Skarzs

Nope. Polecats were raised as mousers and pest control, and earned the name ferrets for I don't know why.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Starla1431

Polecats and ferrets are different species,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_polecat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferret

There can be polecat and ferret hybrids though.

Wylder Treejumper

If you had actually read the articles, you wouldn't have posted this. The very first sentence of the "Ferrets" article: The ferret (Mustela putorius furo) is the domesticated form of the European Polecat.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Skarzs

Maybe today ferrets can be considered a species due to domestic breeding, but in origin, they are polecats.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.