Ferrets::Polecats

Started by The Skarzs, February 26, 2014, 06:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starla1431

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on February 28, 2014, 04:25:35 PM
If you had actually read the articles, you wouldn't have posted this. The very first sentence of the "Ferrets" article: The ferret (Mustela putorius furo) is the domesticated form of the European Polecat.

FWI I did read the arcticle, and my point still stands. Ferrets are domisticated polecats and are sometimes called domisticated polecats, but polecats and ferrets are still different animals. Like wolves and dogs.

http://www.differencebetween.net/science/nature/difference-between-pole-cat-and-ferret/

Skyblade

I always thought they were different O.o

By the way Starla, I like your name! :D

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

The Skarzs

Starla and I are as stubborn as the other. My statement stands.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Wylder Treejumper

The weasel and polecat are not the same animal exactly... However, they are still the same species, and are able to interbreed. They are not like dogs and wolves, which are of the same genus but not the same species, and have been separate for thousands of years. At any rate, they are too similar to be considered different from each other in the series.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Gonff the Mousethief

I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

321tumbler

If you look at pictures of one and the other there are differences in how they look (not just fur color).

The Skarzs

Adaptation. Polecats are able to adapt to their habitat, while ferrets have no need.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Vilu Daskar

Quote from: The Skarzs on February 26, 2014, 09:58:18 PM
True, since you did bother posting. :P

Any one know that wolverines are in the weasel family?
I did
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Starla1431

Quote from: Skyblade on February 28, 2014, 08:22:55 PM
I always thought they were different O.o

By the way Starla, I like your name! :D

Thank you :3

JangoCoolguy

The weird part for me is that I first heard the word "polecat" used as nickname for skunks long before I ever heard of this...

It was quite a surprise when I first to read/heard "polecat" in these stories! :o

321tumbler

Why are skunks nicknamed polecats?

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: 321tumbler on March 03, 2014, 11:10:05 PM

They are in the skunk family.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

JangoCoolguy

Quote from: 321tumbler on March 03, 2014, 11:10:05 PM

In this case, "pole" is a mispronunciation of the French words "poule" or "puant", which mean "chicken" and "stinky" respectively, by 16th Century settlers. The first part comes from how they prey on chickens, and the second part is pretty obvious.

Romsca

So are there two different species in Redwall? Or was Brian Jacques just referring to the polecat since he didn't have any other domestic creatures in his books?