News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Making of Martin's Sword

Started by BadgerLordFiredrake, March 13, 2014, 11:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadgerLordFiredrake

I was thinking that since Martin's sword is made of an asteroid and the Badger Lord (forgot his name :L) said how hard it was to heat the metal, it could be made of iridium, osmium, titanium, or other metals that normally they wouldn't be able to mine.  Thoughts?
baby turtle forever

321tumbler

I would think you're right. Wasn't the sword partially "star" and partially regular metal.

The Skarzs

It might have been a natural alloy. Iridium is naturally brittle and heavy, osmium is also such (but used as a catalyst in alloys) and titanium is relatively light. It might be an alloy of those three, iron, and nickel. (Why nickel? Martin's sword never rusted, so I think it had some metal to prevent it from doing that.)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Vilu Daskar

It would have to be something that's VERY hard to break
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

The Skarzs

Titanium in the alloy would give it strength, and iron would help cancel out the brittleness.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

321tumbler

What is alloy? I probably should know, but I don't.

Vilu Daskar

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

The Skarzs

An alloy is a mix of metals for greater strength, melting temperature, or weight. Brass and bronze are alloys.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

321tumbler

Ok. So you're saying that the asteroid was probably alloy, right?

BadgerLordFiredrake

It was most likely a metallic asteroid rather than a stony-iron or stony asteroid.  Yeah, the Badger Lord said it was made from a star that fell, but a falling asteroid would have, if big enough, burned up to become red-hot.

Apparently, it took a lot of heat to forge the blade.  According to this, nickel is able to be forged at around 2000 F.  It melts 600 F above that.  Titanium's forging temperature is 1700 F, and it melts at 3000 F.  Osmium melts at 5400 F, which could explain how the forge needed to be so hot for the blade to be workable.  Iridium is probably similar.
baby turtle forever

The Skarzs

Quote from: 321tumbler on March 14, 2014, 08:58:13 PM
Ok. So you're saying that the asteroid was probably alloy, right?
Yeah.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Vilu Daskar

Quote from: BadgerLordFiredrake on March 14, 2014, 09:52:52 PM
It was most likely a metallic asteroid rather than a stony-iron or stony asteroid.  Yeah, the Badger Lord said it was made from a star that fell, but a falling asteroid would have, if big enough, burned up to become red-hot.

Apparently, it took a lot of heat to forge the blade.  According to this, nickel is able to be forged at around 2000 F.  It melts 600 F above that.  Titanium's forging temperature is 1700 F, and it melts at 3000 F.  Osmium melts at 5400 F, which could explain how the forge needed to be so hot for the blade to be workable.  Iridium is probably similar.
That must be really hot

Rusvul

Yeah. For a little context, the blowtorches that we use in my blacksmithing class are about 2,400 F, and that's hot enough to cut through high carbon steel, with proper use.

The Skarzs

That's with a higher pressure oxygen flow behind it. If not for that, you would have to heat the metal to, like, 2900 degrees.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

UNKN0WN

Quote from: The Skarzs on March 14, 2014, 07:04:42 PM
Titanium in the alloy would give it strength, and iron would help cancel out the brittleness.

Where on earth do you get the Titanium.