Which book should I read next?

Started by Mister Cheese, May 19, 2014, 05:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Cheese

Hey guys,
I've almost finished reading Mossflower, and I've already read Redwall and Mattimeo. I'm not sure which other books in the series I should start on next. Any suggestions? If so, is there a particular reason why you think its good?

The Skarzs

I liked reading them in order of publishing, so I would recommend Mariel of Redwall.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Blazemane

Skarzs' idea seems good: you would be going through the series in the exact same way that Brian Jacques did and thereby learning things about the world of Redwall in the same order as he came up with those ideas and "learned" of them himself. The three books you've read/are reading are the first three he ever wrote, so you're basically already reading in publishing order.

Reading in the order of events in the series would be another way to go. If Mossflower has you interested in keeping with Martin's story, then you could go back in the chronology to Martin the Warrior, or forward to The Legend of Luke. You could go forward from Mattimeo, too, and read The Pearls of Lutra.

Or you could go through the series willy-nilly like I did. :P I'm always willing to suggest Lord Brocktree, because it's my favorite one. I think Ungatt Trunn is the most intimidating villain in the series, and the need for somebody to finally stand up to him and win drives the whole book forward. That, and I also think Brocktree is the strongest hero in the series. The story just feels epic to me, from beginning to end.

Sailears

Hmm, well you might want to follow on with Legend of Luke after Mossflower, although if you haven't read Martin the Warrior then it might not be a good idea.

Another good idea is definitely going on to Pearls of Lutra, then following down through Long Patrol, Marlfox, and so on, right to the end and then go backwards to Lord Brocktree.

But you could go straight on to Outcast of Redwall instead, and fill in the gap up to Salamandastron - then go backwards and read Lord Brocktree, Martin the Warrior and then Legend of Luke, before skipping ahead to Pearls of Lutra.

Those are the three directions I would go in.
My ears, how are you, wot!

Vilu Daskar

I would read Martin the Warrior then Legend of Luke
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Tam and Martin

Go in Publication order I would say.  ;)

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000