News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Marvel (Comics, Movies, TV Shows)

Started by Søren, December 19, 2014, 03:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delthion

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on April 29, 2018, 04:53:45 AM
My justification for the Quill thing is that he's an abductee raised under the constant fear of being eaten. He's not exactly the most emotionally stable or rational dude.

Spoiler

"But I don't like how they require yet another superhero to save them. I find myself rooting against him/her (Depending on which version they use) because the entire superhero universe that we have come to know from the Marvel movies was unable to stop them." I don't really understand what this means.

The characters got plenty of lines. Except for team Cap.

Reversing time damages the universe if done incorrectly. I feel like trying it on the guy who has other sources of ultimate power is doing it incorrectly. Infinity Stones are bad news, no matter what. And I think Thanos destroyed the moon before he threw it because he was unwilling to destroy what was left of Titan.

I suppose the main problem is you're treating this as a superhero movie. It's not, it's a supervillain movie. This is Thanos' story through and through. He is the only character in this movie with an arc, and he's the one that makes the tough choices. From his perspective he's the lone hero standing against these people who are trying to prevent him from saving the universe. If you pay attention you'll see that he doesn't even act like a villain most of the time. He only hurts or kills people when he absolutely has to (as in he literally only kills Heimdall, Loki and Vision when he could easily kill anyone else). He keeps his promises. Obviously he's still a horrible psychopath, but this story does a lot to humanise him. He's not the Mad Titan. He's just Thanos.
[close]

Spoiler
Yeah, I don't want to watch a movie about a supervillain, my purpose in going to see Infinity War is too see him brought low, not high.

And let me explain that paragraph that statement that confused you. The point of superheroes is to save the world no matter the odds correct? But then they need saving themselves, so what's the point of having these superheroes if they are incapable of saving the world when it REALLY matters.
[close]
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Jetthebinturong

Spoiler

Then you had unreasonable expectations going into the film. They have been upfront that this is part one of a two-part story. Villains don't lose in part ones. It was obvious before this film was even released that Thanos would win at the end.

That is, by and large, the point of superheroes, yes. But I think it's unreasonable to expect them to win when facing a foe who has the most powerful objects in the universe as weapons. Thanos cannot be stopped by brute force, because he is the most brutal force. They need a clever plan, not just "hit him with everything we've got and hope for the best." Which is why Strange gave up the Time Stone, because he saw that one possible future where they win, and knew that that was how they got there. Also the Infinity Gauntlet broke after Thanos used it, which was clearly something he didn't expect, and probably throws a wrench in his plans. And Fury calling on Marvel was another part of this. There's loads of set-up telling us how the heroes will win.
[close]
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Delthion

Spoiler
Actually, I was unaware that this would be a two-parter until after the fact. So I disliked being surprised like that...and most of my other grievances are caused by my surprise that this was a two-parter.
[close]
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Jetthebinturong

Can we talk about the positioning of the Infinity Stones in the Gauntlet for a moment?

This is how they're laid out in the comics:

And I want to talk about the big Stone. You might think that's the Time Stone, because the Time Stone is green in the movies. But no, that's the Soul Stone. It makes sense that it should take pride of place over the other Stones, since it grants the user total control over life and death, among other things. It's the most powerful Stone, and therefore the biggest.

Infinity War

So why on Earth did they swap it out for the Mind Stone in the movies? Arguably the weakest of all the Stones. Is it just because Thanos collected it last? Is it because of the emotional connection to Vision? This has been bugging me since I saw the movie. The Soul Stone should be the biggest and it should be in the centre. The Soul Stone is even more plot relevant than any of the others. WHY DID THEY CHANGE IT?
[close]

Jetthebinturong

Okay MARVEL is just trying to trigger me at this point. That Ant-Man and the Wasp trailer got me so mad about the Young Avengers thing.

"I wish I could fight bad guys like you!"

IS THAT FORESHADOWING LIKE TEN YEARS IN ADVANCE?

ARE THEY ACTUALLY TRYING TO SET THIS UP OR ARE THEY JUST TROLLING YOUNG AVENGERS FANS?

SERIOUSLY WHAT IS GOING ON???

Really excited for the movie though. It looks awesome.

Oh also I changed my rankings.
My new rankings. Spoilered because you probably don't care.

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on April 28, 2018, 08:44:44 PM
14. Iron Man 2
13. Thor
12. The Avengers
11. Ant-Man
10. Doctor Strange
9. Age of Ultron
8. Civil War
7. Guardians of the Galaxy
6. Guardians 2
5. Iron Man
4. Infinity War
3. Ragnarok
2. Spider-Man Homecoming
1. Black Panther

Yeah I really don't think the original Avengers is all that great, shoot me. Ant-Man and Doctor Strange were just so new and fresh. And Doctor Strange is now above Ant-Man since I rewatched Strange and it's way better than I remember. And when I watched both Guardians movies I remember saying they were the best. Don't remember saying that with Civil War so I've moved it back.
[close]

The Skarzs

You liked Black Panther that much? Interesting. I've heard a lot of different opinions about it.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jetthebinturong

In my opinion, Black Panther transcends the boundaries of a superhero movie and is genuinely a fantastic movie in its own right. Incredibly political, brilliantly emotional, and with fantastic worldbuilding to boot. It's almost Shakespearean. Which I suppose you'd expect from a movie about a king.

The Skarzs

Hat Films was rather disappointed in T'challa's actor. ;)
It's going on my list to see: Thor Ragnarok, Black Panther, and Infinity War.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jetthebinturong

I think Chadwick Boseman is an amazing actor. I guess he's kind of solemn and serious most of the time, so that might've contributed to it. But some of the most memorable scenes are because of Chadwick Boseman.

SoranMBane

I agree about how good Black Panther is; it's not just good for a superhero movie or for a fantasy/sci-fi movie, it's just a great film in general. It's especially impressive when you consider how it had to be so many different things at once, being both a part of the titanic Marvel money-making machine and an important cultural touchstone with a lot of heavy political baggage surrounding its very premise. But it pulled it all off wonderfully; it's a fun and exciting action movie, while also being beautifully emotional and not pulling any punches in regards to the issues it deals with. It actually kind of makes me feel bad that I've never seen Ryan Coogler's previous two films (Fruitvale Station and Creed), since I tend to stick to my little bubble of sci-fi, fantasy, and animation.

Delthion

I find Black Panther to be a good movie, with some iffy writing here and there. I enjoyed it a lot, but the way T'Challa handled the politics of it all in the 2nd third or so was terrible.

Jetthebinturong

I mean that was the point so I don't really consider that a flaw in the movie?

(You're talking about Korea, right?)

Delthion

Spoiler
I have no idea. I was talking about the point when the cousin was brought home. He should've been welcomed with trumpets and celebration. That might have made him change his mind about his goal to kill T'Challa. The iffy writing I had in mind I have now forgotten about completely. So I apologize for not being able to recall the writing to which I was referring.
[close]

I do know however, that I need to get a rhino, their 60-0 time is insane.

Jetthebinturong

Spoiler
He was a terrorist and a murderer though. Plus a member of a foreign power's military known for assassination and other black ops. Plus his goal was to militarise the black communities of the world with Wakandan tech to overthrow the white powers. I highly doubt that a few trumpets and celebrations could change that.
[close]

On a completely unrelated note, the quote in my signature is one of the many reasons I love the Young Avengers, and Wiccan in particular.

But I've realised I've hyped myself up for Young Avengers over nothing. Disney would never let MARVEL make a movie with a gay main couple.

Jetthebinturong

I'm not going to comment on how utterly pathetic it is that I killed this discussion merely by mentioning something gay. Except whoops I just did.

Anyway.

Infinity War

James Gunn recently revealed that Groot's last "I am Groot" to Rocket before he turns to dust was simply "Dad."

I'm not crying, you're crying.
[close]