Dear Brian (Happy Birthday Mr. Jacques!)

Started by Captain Tammo, June 15, 2015, 04:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

Hey everyone! I've been thinking a lot about posting this thread but have held off on it for a while. I'm hoping that ultimately we can get a single post from every single person on the forum on this topic which comes in the form of a letter that they would have written to Brian if he were still with us. It sounds kind of odd at first, but think of the people (particularly his family) that would love to read a topic like this and just see a letter from each of the fans of the community!

There are no rules, other than one letter per person (though you can go back and use the edit button if you want to change your post at all). Length can be just about anything you want, and it can cover any topic that you want. They're what you would say to Brian whether it's about what you did today, how he influenced you, your favorite part of his books, when you first read one of his stories, anything!

So without further ado, here's my "Dear Brian"

Dear Brian
Dear Mr. Jacques,

I was twelve years old when I met you at the New York Public Library. It is one of my fondest memories. I remember asking you all about your writing. How you thought of the stories, how you wrote them, what you did for fun... But I don't think I ever really told you thanks for being the guy you are. It's true that authors live forever in their stories, so I think using "the guy you are" still counts in this situation. You're a real hero who taught me that even the smallest mouse can rise up and become a real warrior. I feel like it really showed me that becoming something that you are passionate about (like a warrior) is worth doing, even if others think differently. You managed to teach so many of us that lesson in such a way that made us feel like we were a part of the adventure.

Having said that, thanks for the adventure, Mr. Jacques, and happy 76th birthday, too!

-C. Tammo :)
[close]
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Gonff the Mousethief

I think this is one heck of an idea Tammo!

Dear Brian

Dear Brian,

You stories are much more than just words, they were an adventure, they were a world, they were part of the reader. You saw more in your characters than just "A Mouse" who you could use however you wanted. You sir, had compassion for it, and gave it a life that was more than a character to us and yourself. It ripped something out of us when the one who we had grown so close with died, whether in battle or to win the day, so that the others were safe. We craved the food your creation ate, and that inspired us to create are own delicacies, however good or and they were. Our home away from home is Redwall, were we can always find Peace and shelter on a rainy day. It angered us when the Villain had the upper paw and all hope seemed lost. The battles took us and gave us a sword so we could slay the rats like our heroes. We would spend hours trying to solve the riddles before the others did. And finally, we could feel Martin through the book, and we knew he was with us the whole way through.
So Mr. Jacques, all I can do is thank you, and I can't even do that as much as I want to. You have showed me the skills of what a good author is, and I will cherish it close to heart until we meet. Thank you sir, and maybe Redwall always have its doors open.

- Gonff, Prince of Mousethieves

Oh, and Happy Birthday! 76 is a big one!
[close]
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Hickory

Spoiler
Mr. Jaques,

While I, like always, was hesitant to read your books, it paid off when I swallowed my pride and did it. Luckily I had stumbled across Martin the Warrior before I read the original, so I had some backround information. Fun times entailed when I found a friend that shared the same obession in the same series. What a surprise it was to my friend when he found how to correctly pronouce your name. Even today I check the library book sale for some of your books.

And since your other book series is seriously underestimated on this forum, I'd like to say that I like Ben as much as I like Bella.

May the doors of Redwall be always open to you,

Sagetip
[close]
@Gonff: YOu might want to sign completely as "Prince of Mousethieves," unless you would like to use the acronym. If you do use the acronym, I advise putting the full ryhme underneath. That'd be nice.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Verdauga

Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)