News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Lock this topic! (By New Year's Day!)

Started by Blaggut, October 15, 2015, 04:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gryphon

The best way to go back to sleep now and then, I love it so much better than the original version of that.
« Subject to editing »

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

James Gryphon

I'm so excited to be able to see you at the end of this page, and I have to be able to get the chance to win the game with my friends and family.
« Subject to editing »

Vilu Daskar

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

James Gryphon

The only way to keep it up and get it right now is to make me happy when you have a great day.
« Subject to editing »

Vilu Daskar

James Gryphon

The best thing about this is not a bad thing, but it is a good one: you can get it together for me and you!
« Subject to editing »

James Gryphon

I love it when you get to see the best thing to do with the same time.
« Subject to editing »

Vilu Daskar

Søren

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on October 27, 2015, 03:16:39 PM
Remixes and covers put their own spin on things, 'cleaning' a song merely removes words.

A good song is a good song, regardless of the words used. You don't have to be okay with swearing to listen to a song with swearing in it. 
Then why do many artists make clean versions of their songs? (E.g. Some Nights, Fun., Payphone, Maroon 5, etc...)

I'm retired from the forum

Jetthebinturong

For people who won't listen to the original.

Thing is, there's really no point in the 'clean' versions, the context remains exactly the same, there's no actual change of words, you can't be all like "I don't listen to songs with swearing in them" and then listen to a 'clean' version. There's no change, they barely even remove the word. If you think 'clean' versions are any better than the original, then you are deceiving yourself.

Take Cooler than me by Mike Posner, the clean version goes:
You got your hot crowd, shoes on your feet
And you wear 'em around like it ain't sh-

Tell me how that's different to the original please.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Vilu Daskar

Vilu's Words of Wisdom, How to join Soren and Jet's conversation.
Go listen to the music and then post about it.

Søren

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on October 27, 2015, 04:47:05 PM
For people who won't listen to the original.
Like me.
Quote from: Jetthebinturong on October 27, 2015, 04:47:05 PM
Thing is, there's really no point in the 'clean' versions, the context remains exactly the same, there's no actual change of words, you can't be all like "I don't listen to songs with swearing in them" and then listen to a 'clean' version. There's no change, they barely even remove the word. If you think 'clean' versions are any better than the original, then you are deceiving yourself.

Take Cooler than me by Mike Posner, the clean version goes:
You got your hot crowd, shoes on your feet
And you wear 'em around like it ain't sh-

Tell me how that's different to the original please.
1; I've never heard that song.
2; I'm not necessarily talking about only songs that have the words muted. Replaced is an even better version. (Granted, Some Nights isn't the best example) Take Payphone by Maroon 5 or For the First Time by the Script.
Payphone:
"[Explicit:] One more f------ love song, I'll be sick.
[Clean:] One more stupid love song, I'll be sick"
The general thought, that he can't stand anymore love songs, stays the same. But the words don't.

For the First Time:
"But we're gonna start by
Drinking old cheap bottles of wine,
[Clean version:] Sit talking up all night,
[Explicit version:] S--- talking up all night,
Saying things we haven't for a while"
Honestly, I can't find an explanation for that one to be dropped in the song, it doesn't even really fit. The clean version makes much more sense. But the thought of what they're doing, being up all night talking, remains the same.

THUS, I don't have to see that annoying little E. (Hey, that rhymes. ::))

I'm retired from the forum