News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Lock this topic! (By New Year's Day!)

Started by Blaggut, October 15, 2015, 04:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LT Sandpaw

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Amarith Waterspring

Rosie is weird,
Violets are weirder,
I can't rhyme,
Potato.

LT Sandpaw

Hickory

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on October 27, 2015, 08:24:49 PM

But the X-Wing looks cooler.
And is the better fighter, but is only highly effective in large number, just like TIE fighters and any other starfighters.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

LT Sandpaw

James Gryphon

Actually, from watching the films alone, I'm not sure I'd draw the conclusion that the X-Wing is "better". The TIE Fighters do seem more or at least as capable in dogfights. Most of the Rebel fighters at Yavin were accounted for by the TIE squadron, in spite of the fact that they were outnumbered. The X-Wing's main advantage seems to be that it's hyperspace-capable, which is useful for the Rebellion, but isn't a major advantage for an Empire that has thousands of warships to deploy fighters.
« Subject to editing »

Amarith Waterspring

Rosie is weird,
Violets are weirder,
I can't rhyme,
Potato.

Vilu Daskar

Quote from: James Gryphon on October 27, 2015, 08:54:49 PM
Actually, from watching the films alone, I'm not sure I'd draw the conclusion that the X-Wing is "better". The TIE Fighters do seem more or at least as capable in dogfights. Most of the Rebel fighters at Yavin were accounted for by the TIE squadron, in spite of the fact that they were outnumbered. The X-Wing's main advantage seems to be that it's hyperspace-capable, which is useful for the Rebellion, but isn't a major advantage for an Empire that has thousands of warships to deploy fighters.
X-Wing have shields and a much stronger hull.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

James Gryphon

In the films, fighter shields don't appear to be much better than stormtrooper armor.

What I mean by that is that while they might block indirect fire, shrapnel, and hull fragments, they don't seem to help much when it comes to protecting against direct hits (certainly not like they do in the video games, where they soak up dozens of blaster bolts). The TIEs that flew at the Battle of Yavin took out most of the X-Wings with about the same number of shots as it took the X-Wings or the Falcon to destroy them.

For the most part, all these protective measures seem to do is to keep the fighter intact long enough to limp away, not to allow it to win a fight. Don't get me wrong, that's still useful, but it isn't all that and a bag of chips.
« Subject to editing »

Vilu Daskar

I get all my knowledge about it from a game so I don't really know about all that king of stuff.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Hickory

Quote from: James Gryphon on October 27, 2015, 10:00:05 PM
In the films, fighter shields don't appear to be much better than stormtrooper armor.

What I mean by that is that while they might block indirect fire, shrapnel, and hull fragments, they don't seem to help much when it comes to protecting against direct hits (certainly not like they do in the video games, where they soak up dozens of blaster bolts). The TIEs that flew at the Battle of Yavin took out most of the X-Wings with about the same number of shots as it took the X-Wings or the Falcon to destroy them.

For the most part, all these protective measures seem to do is to keep the fighter intact long enough to limp away, not to allow it to win a fight. Don't get me wrong, that's still useful, but it isn't all that and a bag of chips.
Well, there are different shield types, but all star fighters use deflector. I get your point.

Quote from: Vilu Daskar on October 27, 2015, 10:02:45 PM
I get all my knowledge about it from a game so I don't really know about all that king of stuff.
Empire at War?
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

James Gryphon

We're something like half-way there. Seven or eight more pages should be good for today.
« Subject to editing »

LT Sandpaw

James Gryphon

« Subject to editing »

LT Sandpaw

I have to go read it soon, I'm excited to join the next round, and maybe even win.