Who is the best wielder of Martin's sword?

Started by Muse, September 22, 2011, 10:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the best wielder of Martin's sword?

Martin
Martin II
Luke
Badrang
Deadbrush
Matthias
Mattimeo
Samkin
Mokkan
Rakkety Tam
Bragoon
Sister Armel
Triss
Dandin
Dannflor
King Bull Sparra
Asmodeus
Arven
Vizka Longtooth
Magger
Deyna

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

*referin' tae the two pozt abov him* In one ear an' oat the other, ah reckon...
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

James Gryphon

If you make a post, and then later feel inclined to say more, use the "Edit" button right above your post. By doing so you will convey the same amount of information, without double-posting.

---

Muse is right that Luke isn't the first to use it, just the first that we see in person. I believe the first known beast to carry it was likely Martin the Elder Warrior, Luke's grandfather (although other sources claim he was Luke's father).
« Subject to editing »

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: James Gryphon on September 25, 2011, 12:42:14 AM...just the first that we see in person. I believe.........

Widnae it be "in mouze" or zomethin' along tha' line?
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

DanielofRedwall

I believe it was Martin the Elder who was the first wielder, but who actually made it? I know Boar made the new blade and all that history, but I can't remember it ever being mentioned who made the original sword.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Muse

We dont know who made it, I dont think. I wonder if Brian J had anything to say about it.

james Gryphon-sorry, but those two posts were a day apart. I thought that was ok sorry.
Do not fear the unknown. It cannot hurt you.
What is truly worth fearing is the known.
By Muse

Coobreedan

Quote from: Nightfire on September 23, 2011, 06:07:59 PM
Second best would be Luke, because he was the first wielder of the Sword, as far as we know.
In a way he was, but in another way he wasn't. He was the first we know to hold the sword hilt, but with a different blade on top.
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Log-a-Log

I wonder if the original sword was also made by a badger
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Dotti

It's a good point:  who makes all the blades?  Badger lords are known to make fine weapons for good creatures, but what about the vermin's blades?
Luke IMO, is a great character.  However, I don't really know if he should be considered one of the best wielders because we never get to see him use the sword.  He leaves it at home with Martin.
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

Janglur Swifteye

Quote from: Dotti on September 25, 2011, 08:12:40 PM
It's a good point:  who makes all the blades?  Badger lords are known to make fine weapons for good creatures, but what about the vermin's blades?
Luke IMO, is a great character.  However, I don't really know if he should be considered one of the best wielders because we never get to see him use the sword.  He leaves it at home with Martin.
I think vermin steal their weapons, or use sharp bits of rock. Not too sure, though. Interesting question.

Muse

yeah Ive wondered that before. And where do they get all the other metal things in the abbey?
By Muse

Song Swifteye

I always thought Dannflor was pretty great with the sword
give em blood an vinegar chaps

Folgrimeo

Martin for being its namesake and I guess making the sword threatening without using it much (a vermin wouldn't want to be staring into those determined eyes of his), Matthias for similarly making noble use of the blade, and... I forget if Rakkety Tam was using a claymore for most of his adventure, but he made good use of the swords he was given and used Martin's sword during the final battle.

Dotti

Well, he carried his claymore for about the first half of the book, but by the time he has cause to use a sword, Yoofus had stolen his claymore and he used Martin's sword.  I'm not sure if we ever even see him in action with his claymore save for killing the ermine at the ship.
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

James Gryphon

As far as the origin of weapons: All of the Long Patrol's bladed weapons are obviously made by the Badger Lord or Lady of Salamandastron, though presumably the hares themselves make their longbows. The Guosim make their own rapiers, which indicates that they must have great forging skill, no less than that of the badger lords -- real-life rapiers were made out of steel, and would be difficult for a less advanced society, like that exhibited among the corsairs, to make.

However, the vermin themselves do probably make most of their own weapons. Cluny the Scourge, for instance, had an armorer, who was presumably a rat like himself. The Thousand Eyes Army was decked out with full armor, and even the mercenary Bane carried a particularly nice curved blade. The dagger Gabool uses is described by Rawnblade Widestripe as being pretty good steel, for a sea rat blade. They also make their own bows and arrows, although, according to Redwall, rats are notoriously bad at that craft.

In other words, while their equipment is generally inferior to the workbeastship of the Badger Lord or evidently of the shrews, the vermin still have a strong military tradition, and many vermin hordes are able to equip at least some of their troops with decent weapons. Their exact origin is and will forever remain unknown, but presumably there was some vermin blacksmith somewhere that produced his mates' weapons. I imagine that such a beast, even if clumsy compared to the good creatures' weapon-makers, would have a high rank in any vermin horde, given his invaluable skills and unique role.
« Subject to editing »

Muse

I agree, but what about the little things at the abbey, like doorknockers, and door hinges? I cant see a badger making those.
By Muse