News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Escape from the Saltsprayer

Started by Thomas Barkshield, May 26, 2016, 04:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas Barkshield

Potatoes, potatoes, potatoes. All the thing you could do with a potatoes. Boil them, mash them, stick em up a rat's... no, nevermind. Thoughts like that could get you whipped. But potatoes were the least of Tom's worries. The Saltsprayer had been understaffed for many weeks. Nots that Tom's position could really be described as staff. Staff got paid. And not whipped. And were probably a lot happier than he was. Anyways, a new shipment of "honorary crewmen" was arriving shortly, and none too soon. He was the only one left after all the whippings, drownings and shootings. Shortly after he could hear the longboats pulling up to the ship and unloading onto the the deck. He was now expected to train these new arrivals. He hollered to them in a billowing voice.

Alright then, were going to play a game. We all go in a circle and introduce ourselves. I'm Tom. As you can see, I'm a mousebeast. I'm the leader of you lowley buckos. You all answer to me now. Right then, who's next?

W0NWILL

Hortensia Thistledown was terrified. Early that morning, their little coastal hamlet had been raided, and huge searats had burst into her the place she lived with her mum and dad. Alright, bad idea, that was not a good line of thought. Don't think of mum and dad. She swallowed back her tears with difficulty. But as she was shoved into the ship, Tenny had to glance back over her shoulder to watch the remainder of the little reedy huts burning brightly, and see the body of a hare laying face down in the surf with a speak sticking out his back. The squirrelmaid had to look away, fresh tears appearing as she tried to not think about who that was.

The next few minutes blurred together, and when Tenny would look back on this point in her life later(if there was a later), she would not be able to remember anything. At least up until a mouse began shouting at her. His voice was so loud and confusing, it was all she could do to hunch over and try to cover her ears. But she found herself unable to do so due to the chains binding her paws together. So she instead summoned her strength and courage and shouted: "Quiet! Please!"

Thomas Barkshield

Wottsa matter, little Missy, did yet little toeseys wet on the way over? Perhaps the power had gone to his head just a little bit. After all, these people were his allies.

Unimaginative

The grizzled, older Hedgehog named Darius Ashspike watched this exchange quietly, not sure how to comfort the terrified hare(?, wasn't established). However, when the mouse that had introduced himself as Tom started teasing her, he spoke up.

"Watch yerself, mouse. We may be slaves, but that doesn't mean we should stoop as low as our captors. This poor beast just went through some trauma, that was her village they just attacked."

The dusty brown spikes that covered his head bristled as he glared at Tom.

"Once built a steamboat in a meadow
Cos I'd forgotten how to sail" - The Gardener , The Tallest Man on Earth

Faiyloe

"Leave 'er alone, or I'll snap yer scrawny little traitorous neck, mouse," Rossda Thorntail gave Tom a steely eyed glare and stepped forwards to get a bit in front of the squirrelmaid, chains clanking as she moved. She was chained hand and foot. It had taken four of the corsair crew to subdue the otter. She had only calmed down when she had been chained up to the others. She had a set of fresh flail marks crossing her back and sholders for her efforts. Though they where not the only marks on her, her body was covered in an assortment of old scars.

"Do no' worry I'll no' let any thin' 'apen t'ye," She said to Hortensia.

(OOC: and Thom do you mind using Quotation marks on your dialog, it can get really confusing without them. Oh and She said she was a Squirrel)
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Thomas Barkshield

OOC: yeah I see what you mean.

BIC: "I ain't no traitor. I've endured more'n the lot a ye combined. Do ye know what it's like, seeing yer friend lashed to the keel of a boat? Getting whipped till the flesh falls from yer bones? And the potatoes, oh those potatoes... But anyhow, let's not stop the festivities. Yer names, out wid dem."

Unimaginative

(OOC: Ach, there it is. Missed that before.)

Darius continued eyeing Tom, but knew that he would have to at least be on speaking terms with the mouse if he was to manage escaping the Saltsprayer.

"M'name's Darius Ashspike. My friends call me Darius. You, mouse, call me Ashspike."

He glanced at Rossda, hoping to catch the gaze of the Otter, who he could tell was like him; a honorable warrior beast.

Thomas Barkshield

"See, thats the answer I was lookin fer. Here a hog who knows his place. Whaddabout the rest a ye?"

Faiyloe

Rossda glared Tom down, unwavering, "I 'ave seen my fare share o' 'urt, mouse. What ye 'ave gone though es no excuse fer yer actions, or who yew chose t'be. I would be careful whose side yew chose, or yew may end up on the wrong side of my blade," She paused for a moment considering something and then almost as an after thought she added "I am called Rossda Thorntail, remember that mouse,"

Thomas Barkshield

" Wot blade, otter? In case yew ad'nt forgotten, we're prisoners o these ere searats. Yewd best remember that, Thorntail.

W0NWILL

Tenny pressed closer to Rossda and Darius, glad that somebeast would be looking out for her, but still quaking a tiny bit. Older than a dibbun, but not quite yet an adult, she was still too young to be here. All of them were, even the older Darius. Any age was too young for slavery, really.

Able to find her voice, she piped up(speaking mostly to Rossda and Darius), "I'm Hortensia Thistledown. Folks call me Tenny."

Faiyloe

In response to Tom's words Rossda just smiled and chuckled. Despite the fact that she was shackled and chained she seemed quite cavalier. She turned her attention away from Tom, obviously coming to the conclusion that he was no longer worth her while. She caught the gaze of Darius, and raised her brow at him. She had seen him watching her, not just now, but earlier when they where being brought over. He didn't seem afraid of her, nor in awe, he just seemed to be evaluating her. Though weather he was evaluating her trustworthiness or her usefulness was still to be seen.

Unimaginative

"Well," said Darius, smiling slightly. "We'll keep an eye on yeh, Tenny. An' we'll get yeh outta here, in no time at all. Yeh'll not live the life o' a slave, young 'un." The large Hedgehog rattled his chains impatiently. "Soon as we figure out a way to get outta these shackles."

Thomas Barkshield

Let's me tell ye a secret Ms. Tenny. It don't pay to listen to folks like him, cause all they do is get ye a good lashing. Take it from me Missy, a good lashing ain't easily fergotten. So do as yer told and maybe, just maybe, ye'll last long enough to be sold as a maid. Do ye hear me!

Groddil

"Shut it, all of ya!"
A tall, lanky weasel strode in amongst the new arrivals.
"Stop yer whining. Nobeast wants t'know your entire life stories. And if I catch another beast mention slavery, ye'll be chopped up'n fed t'the others. Yer crewbeasts now, not slaves. Th' catch is, on me ship, crew ain't paid an' they isn't allowed t'leave. An' if they tries t'mutiny, they gets killed. No questions? Good. Some of yer'll be mannin' oars when there ain't no wind. Some of yer'll be workin' in the galley. An' others get t'clean th'decks. Y'get today off t'learn what yer'll all be doin' an' get some trainin'. Tomorrow, yer'll all be 'ard at work from dawn 'til dusk."