News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Minecraft redwall server! Gonna be awesome!

Started by Gears, April 18, 2012, 03:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gears

Quote from: eualaia on June 09, 2012, 08:32:33 AM
i need to be admin'd lol
hehehe. No. I already got myself banned, so it's all cool.
Yeah, I do stuff sometimes.

Latna

Hey Everyone,

So this is how things stand currently:

The other day, a griefer utilized a hacked account to make themselves an op, and proceeded to destroy the server (at least, all the stuff at the warps; they missed things that weren't easy to get to). The backups I had were purged, so I've had to reload to an old version of the map. This means we'll need to rebuild some of the key locations, so the more people who can get on to help, the better.

Some preventative things we'll be doing:

Instead of using the /op command, we'll be utilizing the permission groups. No player, including myself, will be opped since we're not using a secure server. This will prevent someone from being able to disable the whitelist, delete backups, etc. All the really key stability stuff will have to be done through the console. Admins will still be admins, and will have the ban/gamemode/etc powers. Pretty much everything except seriously invasive server stuff.

WorldEdit will be limited so as to prevent this happening again as well. Mostly we'll just be restricted to editing a smaller amount of blocks at a time. This will prevent the griefer repeating the "giant block spawn" thing and crashing the server (potentially permanently making the map unplayable).

I've also added a new backup plugin that is more secure.

If you have any questions, give us a shout. Admins, please be patient, because it may take a little while to give you all the necessary permissions, but this is, I think, a far more secure solution. I'll be in the trenches with you. =(
Ask me about Redwall MUCK!
http://redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=1823.msg66205#msg66205

[url=http://rwmuck.limitless.

Gears

Quote from: Latna on June 09, 2012, 01:59:40 PM
Hey Everyone,

So this is how things stand currently:

The other day, a griefer utilized a hacked account to make themselves an op, and proceeded to destroy the server (at least, all the stuff at the warps; they missed things that weren't easy to get to). The backups I had were purged, so I've had to reload to an old version of the map. This means we'll need to rebuild some of the key locations, so the more people who can get on to help, the better.

Some preventative things we'll be doing:

Instead of using the /op command, we'll be utilizing the permission groups. No player, including myself, will be opped since we're not using a secure server. This will prevent someone from being able to disable the whitelist, delete backups, etc. All the really key stability stuff will have to be done through the console. Admins will still be admins, and will have the ban/gamemode/etc powers. Pretty much everything except seriously invasive server stuff.

WorldEdit will be limited so as to prevent this happening again as well. Mostly we'll just be restricted to editing a smaller amount of blocks at a time. This will prevent the griefer repeating the "giant block spawn" thing and crashing the server (potentially permanently making the map unplayable).

I've also added a new backup plugin that is more secure.

If you have any questions, give us a shout. Admins, please be patient, because it may take a little while to give you all the necessary permissions, but this is, I think, a far more secure solution. I'll be in the trenches with you. =(

Oh no! How far did you have to back it up?

Latna

Pre-Deeproot/Tussock/Freebuild. So we'll need to define a new freebuild/out of character area.
Ask me about Redwall MUCK!
http://redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=1823.msg66205#msg66205

[url=http://rwmuck.limitless.

Captain Tammo

Don't give up guys!! As soon as I find a comp. that supports minecraft, I'll shoot you a PM and try to help out with building and anything else you may need!! I'm just not a tech guy so I don't think I could help much w/ the backing up or software things. Post some pics of progress w/ building and make secure passwords and I bet you'll have everyone interested again!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Gears

Quote from: Captain Tammo on June 09, 2012, 04:20:32 PM
Don't give up guys!! As soon as I find a comp. that supports minecraft, I'll shoot you a PM and try to help out with building and anything else you may need!! I'm just not a tech guy so I don't think I could help much w/ the backing up or software things. Post some pics of progress w/ building and make secure passwords and I bet you'll have everyone interested again!
Thanks a lot. :) we'll plug along, I guess, and try to make constant backups too.

eualaia

wolves will slay whoever they want to.....*growl* "AGHH''

Gears

Quote from: eualaia on June 10, 2012, 09:16:18 PM
my potion shop is gone :(
Yeah, we had to rollback pretty far. I hope whoever did this is happy, cos we're not. :(

eualaia

eeeeeeeeevil i bet it was icanhazgrief that hacked you

psybox

i think that's a widely believed theory that makes a good amount of sense.  also, it would be a good idea to just rebuild it.  Maybe I'm just saying it because of how lonely it can get.

Gears

Quote from: psybox on June 11, 2012, 02:29:34 AM
i think that's a widely believed theory that makes a good amount of sense.  also, it would be a good idea to just rebuild it.  Maybe I'm just saying it because of how lonely it can get.
I completely agree with this. Guys, I'm going to give you all (including me) four weeks to revive the server. If nothing happens, and no one is on, I'm going to completely turn over control to latna, and step out, and down forever. Latna and I can't keep a server running when one person hops on, then no one else. If it keeps going on this way, I'm sorry, but i'll be done. Whatever idiot did this, it completely decimated an already almost dead server. Come on!! Play, build, socialize! don't hop on, then say "Oh, no one's on" Then hop off. We need you all! *Pep talk done*

eualaia

Gears

Quote from: eualaia on June 11, 2012, 03:49:28 AM
i got admin on another server i play  :)
I'm happy for you, but this is kinda what I'm talking about. Too many of the members up and left. Stay strong guys!

eualaia

Gears