News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Warriors by Erin Hunter discussion

Started by clunylooney, August 22, 2020, 09:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clunylooney

Warriors is a book series by a few different people under the name erin hunter. They follow clans of cats and their adventures over many MANY books. There are 39 main books in the series, 12 super editions, 6 novellas, 4 "manga" arcs and 2 stand alone manga stories.
For those who have read it, what do you think of it? Who are are your favorite and least favorite characters? What do you think of the protagonists and/or the villains? What are your favorite books in the series? Please tell me below.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Sebias of Redwall

(Warning, spoilers!)

Lemme see, lemme see. General thoughts about Warriors. I honestly liked it, but to me, Redwall is a better series. But I still enjoyed Warriors quite a bit. The first six books were amazing, as was DotC. I feel like the series gotta a bit more "meh" as time went on, but some parts of it are still good. Tigerstar was one of my favorite villains, at least in the first series. I generally like all of the characters in the first series, from Firestar and Graystripe, to Bluestar and Yellowfang. I... wasn't sure about Spottedleaf, tbh. She was nice, I guess, but she seemed a bit overrated in my opinion.  :P That could be because she didn't have *that* much pagetime. *Shrugs* DotC was easily one of my favorites as well. The final death actually made me incredibly sad, and not many series do that.  :P Also, Clearsky... I hated that furball. But I congratulate the author for making me feel such strong emotions for the cast.
How 'bout you?
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

clunylooney

Quote from: Sebias of Redwall on August 24, 2020, 05:45:46 PM
(Warning, spoilers!)

Lemme see, lemme see. General thoughts about Warriors. I honestly liked it, but to me, Redwall is a better series. But I still enjoyed Warriors quite a bit. The first six books were amazing, as was DotC. I feel like the series gotta a bit more "meh" as time went on, but some parts of it are still good. Tigerstar was one of my favorite villains, at least in the first series. I generally like all of the characters in the first series, from Firestar and Graystripe, to Bluestar and Yellowfang. I... wasn't sure about Spottedleaf, tbh. She was nice, I guess, but she seemed a bit overrated in my opinion.  :P That could be because she didn't have *that* much pagetime. *Shrugs* DotC was easily one of my favorites as well. The final death actually made me incredibly sad, and not many series do that.  :P Also, Clearsky... I hated that furball. But I congratulate the author for making me feel such strong emotions for the cast.
How 'bout you?

A lot to answer!

#1(Redwall is better): I mostly agree with that. Warriors will always have a special place in my heart, maybe because I read it first and it was the first book series where I wanted and NEEDED to read all of the other books. But I do think Redwall is overall better.

#2(First 6 and DOTC were amazing): I think that is almost everyone's opinion ;). I agree with that. I feel as though DOTC is the best written arc but the original arc is still extremely good.

#3(the series got meh later on): Oh yes, I definitely agree with that. Second arc was, what I say to be a solid sequel to the original. POT is... not the best... in any way. People criticize OOTS but I actually thought it was pretty good and AVOS, IMO should never have happened.

#4(Characters): I love the characters in warriors. I think that is one of the things going for warriors that redwall doesn't have as much of. Some redwall characters are great, but I feel as though warriors has more unique characters.

#5(Spottedleaf)  :P. I don't want to talk about her.

#6(That final death) That death is one of the only deaths that made me cry, or at least almost cry along with (spoilers!) Tony Stark's, Thorin Oakensheild's, Boromir's, Ceaser's (from Planet of the apes), Finbarr Galedeep's and Cregga Roseyes's deaths.

#7(Clear Sky) Oh yes! Clear Sky is what I'm talking about with characters. I have never felt so much hate, sympathy and all of the emotions for a single character. You go from liking him, to hating him, to hating him more, to sypmithizeing, to liking, to dislikeing, to sympithizeing, to liking, to hating again, to just being a little sick of the roller coaster. DOTC has some of the best characters in warriors.

WHOOH! That was a lot. What are your opinions on Super Editions? Just curious.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Wylder Treejumper

Wow, it's been a long time since I've thought about this book series. It seems to be an elementary school thing, probably because it is ubiquitous due to the promotion strategy of its vile publisher, Scholastic (I have very strong feelings about Scholastic, and Warriors is one of the reasons for that). The first series is pretty high-quality as middle-grade books go, but the original idea obviously ended there and the series stretches on endlessly due to contract commercialization. Anything after the first series I found to be absolute trash and I gave up on it after that, so I restrict my comments to the first six books.

The series runs entirely on character interest; the plot is secondary (and so tends to be slightly subpar). The worldbuilding is engaging, although sometimes not very complete. Again, the Erin Hunter team does a very good job at creating compelling characters that catch the reader's interest and cause the reader to root for them, but while that makes for books with an incredible amount of superficial interest it tends to preclude real depth. The same problem happens in Tui T. Sutherland's (a part if Erin Hunter) Wings of Fire series, which uses the same strategy but with dragons (dragons can definitely cover a multitude of errors, though).

In short, they are enjoyable middle-grade books, but Redwall's greater thematic depth and far superior prose appeals to me many years later where Warriors does not at all.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Ripred the Gnawer

Quote from: clunylooney on August 25, 2020, 04:48:15 AM
Quote from: Sebias of Redwall on August 24, 2020, 05:45:46 PM
(Warning, spoilers!)

How 'bout you?

A lot to answer!

#1(Redwall is better): I mostly agree with that. Warriors will always have a special place in my heart, maybe because I read it first and it was the first book series where I wanted and NEEDED to read all of the other books. But I do think Redwall is overall better.

#2(First 6 and DOTC were amazing): I think that is almost everyone's opinion ;). I agree with that. I feel as though DOTC is the best written arc but the original arc is still extremely good.

#3(the series got meh later on): Oh yes, I definitely agree with that. Second arc was, what I say to be a solid sequel to the original. POT is... not the best... in any way. People criticize OOTS but I actually thought it was pretty good and AVOS, IMO should never have happened.

#4(Characters): I love the characters in warriors. I think that is one of the things going for warriors that redwall doesn't have as much of. Some redwall characters are great, but I feel as though warriors has more unique characters.

#5(Spottedleaf)  :P. I don't want to talk about her.

#6(That final death) That death is one of the only deaths that made me cry, or at least almost cry along with (spoilers!) Tony Stark's, Thorin Oakensheild's, Boromir's, Ceaser's (from Planet of the apes), Finbarr Galedeep's and Cregga Roseyes's deaths.

#7(Clear Sky) Oh yes! Clear Sky is what I'm talking about with characters. I have never felt so much hate, sympathy and all of the emotions for a single character. You go from liking him, to hating him, to hating him more, to sypmithizeing, to liking, to dislikeing, to sympithizeing, to liking, to hating again, to just being a little sick of the roller coaster. DOTC has some of the best characters in warriors.

WHOOH! That was a lot. What are your opinions on Super Editions? Just curious.

WHAT??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

YOU DON"T LIKE CLEARSKY???

Well, I like him, but my fave cat is probably Jayfeather. I like how he
Spoiler
Gets mad at Yellowfang when she tries to tell him something that he doesn't want to hear.
[close]
I guess I like pretty much any Warrior cat, just so long as they are grumpy  >:(  all the time!
Mousefur (is it Mousefur?)...
Yellowfang (I own a copy of Yellowfang's Secret and I love it)...
Jayfeather...
I also like Scourge (the cat, not the rat!!!!! But I like the rat one too). Dunno why.
'We stop looking for monsters under the bed when we realize they are inside of us'
"If you gaze long enough into the abyss, it'll gaze back at you"

WorshipTiria

I used to read a buuuunch of Warriors, but I stopped reading a good while ago because the stories just got kinda... Meh.

I LOVED dotc and
Spoiler
The dead cat attack, and I loved a bunch of stuff before that.
[close]
, but I for some reason read TNP before the original, which might explain why I'm a huge fan of Firestar.

Love Bluestar though.
I'm about to go GREMLIN MODE