News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Interesting Facts

Started by Izeroth, June 16, 2015, 03:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luftwaffles

The Exocet Missiles were especially infamous among most operators because they actually used to"disobey" orders. They "thought" that, if a bigger target was on its radars, they should attack that one instead of the one that was programmed by the pilot. Bigger usually means better, but not all the time and, as a result, many of them attacked meaningless targets or ran out of fuel while trying to locate their new, self-acquired preys.

Quote from: rexhyuga on June 18, 2015, 11:48:56 PM
fun facts are fun.

after you read this post you will realize that the the brain edits a second 'the'

Haha, awesome ;D
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

SoranMBane

Bats are the second most diverse order of mammals (after rodents). About 20% of the world's mammal species are bats. The smallest bat weighs about as much as a penny, while the largest bats can have wingspans of about 5.6 ft.

Quote from: Eulaliaaa! on June 16, 2015, 04:47:12 PMOstrich eggs are the largest bird eggs in the world, hummingbird eggs are the smallest.

While ostriches have the largest eggs overall, they actually lay the smallest eggs in relation to the size of the adult bird. Kiwi birds, on the other hand, lay the largest eggs in relation to the adult (kiwis are about the same size as a domestic chicken, but the eggs they lay are about six times larger than a chicken's).

Izeroth

A Viking ship has been found in the Mississippi River.

Luftwaffles

In its original design, the Titanic only had three chimneys. A fourth one was later added to make it look more impressive (though it didn't have much purpose than to just be there, it didn't connect to the boiler room in any way, shape or form).

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Kitsune

Luftwaffles

Quote from: PluggFiretail on June 19, 2015, 02:41:17 PM
Several times, promising research for the cure to diabetes has been stopped by pharmaceutical companies, because they make trillions off of patients every year. Oh, and I would not be surprised if they did the same for other diseases like cancer or AIDS, too. Don't you feel all warm and fuzzy about pharmacies now?

They have probably done the same for Cancer and I'm INCREDIBLY mad about it.

Skyblade

That's just awful. Since when did money mean more than human lives?

Anyway...I don't want to start an argument :-\

There was a couple that cheated on each other with people in chat rooms. They found out that they were cheating on each other - with each other, if that makes sense. The people they were having an affair with instead, on the chat room, were each other.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Luftwaffles

Charles Chaplin and Jackie Oakie enjoyed their roles so much in the filming of "The Great Dictator" that they liked to stay in-character after everyday of filming. They even went to a party dressed as their characters; Adenoid Hynkel and Benzino Napaloni, dictators of Tomiania and Bacteria.

Søren

Quote from: Skyblade on June 16, 2015, 06:48:03 PM
Chocolate contains the same chemical that your body produces when falling in love.
It all makes sense now.

Quote from: Skyblade on June 19, 2015, 04:57:20 PM
That's just awful. Since when did money mean more than human lives?

Anyway...I don't want to start an argument :-\

There was a couple that cheated on each other with people in chat rooms. They found out that they were cheating on each other - with each other, if that makes sense. The people they were having an affair with instead, on the chat room, were each other.

The 80s song Escape by Rupart Holmes just hit my mind.

I'm retired from the forum

SoranMBane

Although, the main reason why we haven't "cured cancer" is because there really isn't one cancer to cure. There are many cancers (possibly as many cancers as there are cancer patients), and all of them are different enough that they would require their own specialized treatments. SciShow has a video on the subject, for anyone who wants to know more.

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on June 19, 2015, 04:48:26 PM
Quote from: PluggFiretail on June 19, 2015, 02:41:17 PM
Several times, promising research for the cure to diabetes has been stopped by pharmaceutical companies, because they make trillions off of patients every year. Oh, and I would not be surprised if they did the same for other diseases like cancer or AIDS, too. Don't you feel all warm and fuzzy about pharmacies now?

They have probably done the same for Cancer and I'm INCREDIBLY mad about it.
Yes, they have done that for cancer.  Have you guys ever heard of the Polish doctor Stanislaw Burzynski?  He had a practice in Texas, but "the powers that be" shut him down and forced him to treat cancer patients as part of clinical trials, not a normal practice.  He has had some incredible results with his antineoplaston therapy; however, I honestly am not sure what to think about him and his practice, because he has received heavy criticism and been in and out of courts for years (of course, that could be because he's right), but it's worth looking him up.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Luftwaffles

That's very interesting, Jukka. I personally have no doubt that the only reason of why he was criticized and suspected it's because he was right.

Izeroth

The Amazon Rainforest produces more than 20% of the world's oxygen.

Luftwaffles

Many people involved in the early stages of the production of "The Lion King" thought that they were going to do a movie or remake based on "Kimba: The White Lion" due to the similarities between these two films. In fact, the voice actor for Simba once declared that he was delighted to be playing a character he used to love from his childhood.

Captain Tammo

when the Ancient Pyramids were being built, mammoths still roamed the earth!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior