News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The more random than that other thread thread

Started by James Gryphon, October 09, 2017, 04:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delthion

Quote from: Chipster of Noonvale on August 19, 2018, 03:02:35 AM
Let's ask random questions then! ;D

Are aliens real? Obviously! If they weren't why would everyone be arguing about immigration?!
Should I put a chainsaw on the table? Why not?
What is the meaning of life? Pie
How many nanoseconds did you spend on the forum? Quite a few.
What is the best letter of the Egyptian alphabet? I think you're a little bit under the weather or something...
Why does Skarzs' video result in a playback error? Your face. ;D

?????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Jukka the Sling

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Chipster of Noonvale

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on August 19, 2018, 02:42:00 PM
*whispers*  It's fearmongering for a very deliberate purpose.
I suppose both sides are guilty of that.

???????????????

Jukka the Sling

It's just so absurd and kind of funny to me that a common childhood illness has been so wildly blown out of proportion.  In actual real-life situations, mind ye, not just on Law & Order. XD  It's pretty wrong, though.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Chipster of Noonvale

Perhaps it has been blown out of proportion, but getting the measles is still pretty unpleasant.
In this situation, both extremes are probably taking things too far :-[

Jukka the Sling

Maybe, but it's just dumb to terrify and bully parents by painting a relatively normal, average childhood illness as equivalent to, like, AIDS or something.   And vilifying parents who exercise their right to choose their kids' injections (especially since vaccines never give 100% immunity) is misleading and wrong.

That's just what I think, though, and your mileage may vary. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chipster of Noonvale

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on August 19, 2018, 11:31:14 PM
(especially since vaccines never give 100% immunity)
That is true.  Some vaccines are more effective than others.

parents who exercise their right to choose their kids' injections
How about letting the kids themselves decide? ::) But then, most kids would probably refuse all injections because GETTING STABBED IN THE ARM WITH SHARP NEEDLES EEEEEEK THAT HURTS AAAAAAAAAA >8( >8( >8( >8( >8(

it's just dumb to terrify and bully parents
I understand the "dumb" bit, but the part about "bullying" leaves me confused... ??? Do you have any examples of this happening?

Jukka the Sling

I was thinking in the context of that video when I wrote 'bully', since it was portraying parents who opted not to take measles vaccines as horrible people.  But it does apply to actual situations, since it is a fact that parents are pressured, and in some cases have been forced, to vaccinate their kids against their wishes.  I'm always leery of such bureaucratic interference in people's lives.

Delthion

Quote from: Chipster of Noonvale on August 20, 2018, 02:09:52 AM
That is true.  Some vaccines are more effective than others.
How about letting the kids themselves decide? ::) But then, most kids would probably refuse all injections because GETTING STABBED IN THE ARM WITH SHARP NEEDLES EEEEEEK THAT HURTS AAAAAAAAAA >8( >8( >8( >8( >8(
I understand the "dumb" bit, but the part about "bullying" leaves me confused... ??? Do you have any examples of this happening?

I think you're overreacting to a harmless, and silly compilation. I don't think this is something to get so riled-up about. :)
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

The Skarzs

I don't think it was an overreaction as much as an expression of emotion?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

It just seemed like he was blowing up at Jukka a bit. I could've understood the tone incorrectly though.

Jukka the Sling

(For what it's worth, I didn't really think he was blowing up at me.)

Amarith Waterspring

I don't think he was blowing up either. It was a topic view that he was interested in and wanted to discuss further to fully understand it and other aspects of the topic as well. It was an intellectual conversation on both sides, but with some lighthearted aspects thrown in as well (like the all caps because I totally agree that NEEDLES HURT). Then he was totally open to and interested in hearing Jukka's points and view/interpretation of the video.
Rosie is weird,
Violets are weirder,
I can't rhyme,
Potato.

Chipster of Noonvale

The NEEDLES AND CAPITALS part was an attempt at a joke.  I was attempting to lightheartedly point out how some kids can have extreme reactions about this (including me when I was younger).  I'm sorry if it came across any other way :(

Delthion

No biggie! Apparently I was the only one that saw it that way. ;D